Minnie the cat's latest round of illnesses were pretty expensive. Like most things, animal care has gotten much more expensive lately. I was looking at some pet care insurance options the other day. Our Bassett Hound is six and they can have a lot of health problems (orthopedic issues particularly) as they get older.

Has anyone bought/used pet health care insurance? The one I was researching had six options and lots of price variations. But, it could be a pretty worthwhile thing to have. The option I was particularly interested in was about $32.00 per month, which is not peanuts, but would be a bargain if the coverage has to be used.

WJ

Hi WJ,

Been there done that ;-)

I had pet insurance for several years and when an issue came up, they declined to cover the expense. I read carefully through the paperwork and found some small print about the specific condition my dog had(torn crutiate ligament) , and that they would not cover this unless the policy had been in place for 2 years.

I think it has some potential value for an older pet, but be careful about what exclusions the policy has. They will ask you to send medical records and tend to exclude anything tied to a previous procedure. In my case, my dog broke a tooth on a bone when she was 3, and they excluded all dental from the policy as a result. Im sure your profession puts you ahead of most reading a contract like an insurance policy, so check a few and make sure they dont exclude likely old cat diseases like lukemia etc and it could be worth it.

It used to be that owing a dog or a cat was something that the poorest of Americans could afford. I suspect that this will become more and more of a luxury.

It used to be that owing a dog or a cat was something that the poorest of Americans could afford. I suspect that this will become more and more of a luxury.

Yeah just watch.. Next thing you know instead of fighting crime, the powers that be will be sending you out as backup for the A.S.P.C.A. to confiscate animals from people who can't afford to insure their pets. Using the charge of animal neglect. With the broad range of political influence & control the insurance industry has over our Government that is the next way they will have our civil servants extort the populous.

By the way, off topic, but is your departments radar/lazer speed monitoring equipment budget supplemented by insurance industry like many others are?

Edited by Paulyski

There is nothing worse then paying premiums every month for a long period and then when you need to make a claim you find out that you are not covered or only partially covered. I haven't had "pet insurance" but I did have my dogs on a "health maintenance plan" that cost 20.00 per dog per month. Sure there were discounts and benefits to it but I finally figured out that I was better off putting that money aside every month and building up my own savings account for pet care. It builds up faster than you might think. But make no mistake about it, it all depends on the pet and what medical conditions pop up and how soon.

My mom got pet ins. for her mini-pin a few years ago because she was diagnosed with valley fever. They let her get it even though it was a preexisting condition and I think she only pays about $30 a month. She still spends about $500 a year on testing, meds, and other procedures but that's not even a third of what it would cost at full price. If she didn't have the ins. that dog would probably no longer be with us. I'd say it's worth it especially if you have an animal that is prone to some condition.

Yeah just watch.. Next thing you know instead of fighting crime, the powers that be will be sending you out as backup for the A.S.P.C.A. to confiscate animals from people who can't afford to insure their pets. Using the charge of animal neglect. With the broad range of political influence & control the insurance industry has over our Government that is the next way they will have our civil servants extort the populous.

Well I can see where it would be a easy leap to require insurance of folks before they are issued a license for a pet. It would be pretty hard to enforce an unpopular. I have no use for someone that would abuse an animal, but frankly I believe that animals were put on this Earth for man's use. I could now and would not spend the kind of money that some people spend on a vet, but then again, I support their choice to do so.

By the way, off topic, but is your departments radar/lazer speed monitoring equipment budget supplemented by insurance industry like many others are?

I have seen some departments that had equipment bought by MADD, but not by an insurance company. But that was Breathalyzers and the like.

I used to work for a veterinarian, and I highly recommend pet insurance, not necessarily for saving money, but for lessing the unexpected expense. Just talk to your vet about which companies they have had the best luck working with, and Im sure they can recommend a plan. The premiums are pretty well priced for most of the plans and most of the plans will cover all of the regular visits, checkups and vaccinations, which can can get pretty pricey, even if they are only once every six months, and emergency visits, which can get downright exorbitant. Theres nothings sadder than seeing a pet come in on an emergency call and not being allowed to really help, because the client doesn't know how they would be able to pay for additional procedures that might be needed, in addition to the fairly high cost of calling in a veterinarian and a technician in the middle of the night. If you can afford to pay out of pocket for the unexpected, you might not need it, but it does bring a certain amount of piece of mind, knowing that most of your expenses are all wrapped up in a fixed premium payment, and for people who might not be able to pay out of pocket at any given time, id think its nearly indispensable, if you don't want to be sitting in a vets office deciding if you can raise enough money to pay for your animal to be taken care of in an emergency.

Just my two one hundredths of a dollar, which is worth 96% less than it was the year the Fed was created.

Edited by ReverendFranz

Hello, WJ

I use PetCare Insurance, they used to be something else, but that's their new name.

I've used 'em on all my doggers for 7-8 years, I've never submitted a claim to them that they have not paid.

The plan I use is the 70-30, they cover 70% of all expenses other than routine stuff like vaccinations and teeth cleaning.

You have to maintain annual Vet checkups, heartworm med's, etc.

They even pay a death benefit, so they can be PTS and cremated, or whatever.

In the event of a really serious injury or ailment, they would be a lifesaver.

Hope this helps,

guido

Hello, WJ

I use PetCare Insurance, they used to be something else, but that's their new name.

I've used 'em on all my doggers for 7-8 years, I've never submitted a claim to them that they have not paid.

The plan I use is the 70-30, they cover 70% of all expenses other than routine stuff like vaccinations and teeth cleaning.

You have to maintain annual Vet checkups, heartworm med's, etc.

They even pay a death benefit, so they can be PTS and cremated, or whatever.

In the event of a really serious injury or ailment, they would be a lifesaver.

Hope this helps,

guido

Fucking teeth cleaning!.....my wife had our dogs teeth cleaned 2 years ago.....biggest damn waste of money i have every seen.......almost $500 for that.....NEVER AGAIN!

I applied on-line for insurance for the Basset Hound last night. I answered all of the questions about pre-existing conditions (the dog had a urinary track infection and gets yeast infections in her ears - as do most Bassets) and the reply I got was that they need to send my application to their under-writer for further review, after they get the dog's vet records.

The dog is basically, healthy. The infection has been treated with antibiotics and the ear thing is a known complication of the breed. I have a sneaking suspicion that poor old Zippy the Basset Hound is going to be denied health insurance.

Does the Obama health plan provide any hope for her? Maybe I should reconsider my position on the Government and health insurance. lol

Fucking teeth cleaning!.....my wife had our dogs teeth cleaned 2 years ago.....biggest damn waste of money i have every seen.......almost $500 for that.....NEVER AGAIN!

Hello, Ranger

Give 'em rawhide bones to chew, do it naturally. Your dog would rather do it that way, and anesthetic is dangerous stuff.

I stay away from it unless it's absolutely necessary.

guido

Up-date. Zippy has been approved with the urinary track infection listed as a "pre-existing" condition. I am ok with that as it can be reviewed after six months if she does not have another flare up of the infection during that time period.

WJ

If you have the option try to use a rural, family owned vet clinic. My vet is rural, I travel 40 miles to see him because I trust him. Also he spends 1/2 his time with his arm up the business end of a horse, so dog's & cat's services are relatively inexpensive. To get my little 1/2 beagle 1/2 golden mix "Casimir" fixed, vaccinated & wormed it only cost me $60.00 (he worms him for free every time he sees him) :)

If you have the option try to use a rural, family owned vet clinic. My vet is rural, I travel 40 miles to see him because I trust him. Also he spends 1/2 his time with his arm up the business end of a horse, so dog's & cat's services are relatively inexpensive. To get my little 1/2 beagle 1/2 golden mix "Casimir" fixed, vaccinated & wormed it only cost me $60.00 (he worms him for free every time he sees him) :)

I agree with your idea. Unfortunately, we live in an over-priced golf course type community and the vet here is great, but very pricey. I have tried to get my wife to use a more reasonably priced vet, but ours is so close, that taking the animals there is easiest. Also, my opinion of the vet has gone up a great deal with the way she handled our cat, so I am a bit stuck with the high prices she charges.

When we moved here our vet bills went way up. I guess just like guns, people charge what the market will bear and what they think the customers can pay. I should have been a vet instead of a lawyer.

WJ

"I should have been a vet instead of a lawyer" WOW! What a statement! I wish I would have been a welder or a physical therapist. At least with the vet thing you get the love of of the animals. I'm torn on the cost of the ins. though. And with what I've experienced latley with HUMAN insurance, I'd say it's a gamble. I get all of my pets from the pound/giveaway and give them all of of the love they could never have gotten before, but also regular vet upchecks. If they get some wacky disease like a lot of humans do, I console them until they die and try to make them comfortable. I would hope the humans around me did the same and not spend insane amounts of money to make me live longer. You only get one shot at this life, and you can only do so much.

"I should have been a vet instead of a lawyer" WOW! What a statement! I wish I would have been a welder or a physical therapist. At least with the vet thing you get the love of of the animals. I'm torn on the cost of the ins. though. And with what I've experienced latley with HUMAN insurance, I'd say it's a gamble. I get all of my pets from the pound/giveaway and give them all of of the love they could never have gotten before, but also regular vet upchecks. If they get some wacky disease like a lot of humans do, I console them until they die and try to make them comfortable. I would hope the humans around me did the same and not spend insane amounts of money to make me live longer. You only get one shot at this life, and you can only do so much.

I agree with your statements about pets. I prefer to save a pound animal if possible. We tried to get a Basset from the rescue societies, but could not find one when we were ready, so we bought our dog from a small time breeder. But, I would have preferred to save one from the pound.

I'm just kidding about the "being a vet" thing. I am blessed with a great job. I could not have obtained my current job without being a lawyer - so I am very thankful. While Vets get to help animals, I get to help people by making correct decisions. :)

I'm just kidding about the "being a vet" thing. I am blessed with a great job. I could not have obtained my current job without being a lawyer - so I am very thankful. While Vets get to help animals, I get to help people by making correct decisions. :)

Hello, WJ

Be sure to throw the book at any "Michael Vick" type animal abusers.....That's just the lowest of the low.

Respectfully,

guido