I acquired this little treasure today, and I am stoked. I might keep it or I might sell it, I am still deciding.

Got it from a lady I did some computer work for. It is unfired new in box from 1972.

The Walther-PPK is one of the best pistols ever produced. It says 9mm on it but most that I have seen are .380(euro-9x17)

It influenced the Polish P-64 police pistol. The P-64 uses 9x18mm-Mak & kicks about 2x as hard. (it is less than $200 too) & is known as the smallest pistol in this powerful round. It requires a spring swap though to reduce the 28Lb-D.A. trigger pull though.

Beautiful PPK. If you are going to sell, do not let it go for less than $400. :up:

post-19652-1251007837_thumb.jpg

I had to add the P-64 for a personal side by side comparison.

Edit: The coolest thing about both these pistols is the loaded chamber indicator on the back so there is NEVER uncertainty.

Edited by Paulyski

Congrats

I have a gorgeous P5 that is such an enjoyable gun to shoot that I always anquish about whether to keep it a queen.

I have to just force myself to shoot it and not care about its value after Im gone :smoke:

Cheers,

Harv

PPK's are pretty cool little pistols. I recently took a Walther PPK/S, (stainless), out for 100 rounds or so, alongside my Glock-30. Unless you have tiny little hands you have to be careful to hold it low enough or that slide'll bite ya. It was also a bit suprising that this little .380 has more felt recoil than my Glock-30, (.45 ACP), does. I attibute that to the superior design of the Glock. ;)

PPK's are pretty cool little pistols. I recently took a Walther PPK/S, (stainless), out for 100 rounds or so, alongside my Glock-30. Unless you have tiny little hands you have to be careful to hold it low enough or that slide'll bite ya. It was also a bit suprising that this little .380 has more felt recoil than my Glock-30, (.45 ACP), does. I attibute that to the superior design of the Glock. ;)

The new ppks are not comparable to the PP or ppk when they were made at the original Walther factory in ULM.

They are now imported and influenced by the corporate minded smith and lessen.

The Walther I have has mostly German writing on it, and was imported by the old interarms company, they typicall go for 600 to 1100 used. They are remarkable guns attesting to fine German engineering and pride of workmanship.

I would never take less than 600, some variations go for 15.000 dollars. Its fun to browse gunbroker for these and be blown away by the prices.

I acquired this little treasure today, and I am stoked. I might keep it or I might sell it, I am still deciding.

Got it from a lady I did some computer work for. It is unfired new in box from 1972.

The Walther-PPK is one of the best pistols ever produced. It says 9mm on it but most that I have seen are .380(euro-9x17)

It influenced the Polish P-64 police pistol. The P-64 uses 9x18mm-Mak & kicks about 2x as hard. (it is less than $200 too) & is known as the smallest pistol in this powerful round. It requires a spring swap though to reduce the 28Lb-D.A. trigger pull though.

Beautiful PPK. If you are going to sell, do not let it go for less than $400. :up:

post-19652-1251007837_thumb.jpg

I had to add the P-64 for a personal side by side comparison.

Edit: The coolest thing about both these pistols is the loaded chamber indicator on the back so there is NEVER uncertainty.

They are 9mm, just 9mm Kurtz or 9mm short in english. They are not 9mm luger.

The new ppks are not comparable to the PP or ppk when they were made at the original Walther factory in ULM.

They are now imported and influenced by the corporate minded smith and lessen.

The Walther I have has mostly German writing on it, and was imported by the old interarms company, they typicall go for 600 to 1100 used. They are remarkable guns attesting to fine German engineering and pride of workmanship.

I would never take less than 600, some variations go for 15.000 dollars. Its fun to browse gunbroker for these and be blown away by the prices.

The PPK/S I was referring to is one of the "original" models, imported by Interarms, not a "new one".

Nice old pistol and good find!

...It says 9mm on it but most that I have seen are .380(euro-9x17)

Is it a 9mm Makarov or does it just say 9x18mm?

There is also the European 9x18mm Ultra or 9x18mm Police ammunition that is not compatible with the Makarov round, although they share the same "9x18mm" designation. The 9mm Makarov round is 9.25 mm as compared with the 9mm Ultra's 9mm and the 9mm Police's 9.02 mm.

Edited by Azrial

There is also the European 9x18mm Ultra or 9x18mm Police ammunition that is not compatible with the Makarov round, although they share the same "9x18mm" designation. The 9mm Makarov round is 9.25 mm as compared with the 9mm Ultra's 9mm and the 9mm Police's 9.02 mm.

The P-64 is chambered in 9x18-Mak. This round was intentionally made in a slightly larger diameter so in a wartime situation the Soviet 9x18-mak-cal pistols could fire the euro-9mm round (although not as accurately due to a looser fit) But the Europeans would not be able to use the Soviet round. If you were to try this I would do a little research first as I personally only ever fired 9x18-Mak out of mine.

This should tell you about all you need to know about the P-64 http://www.p64resource.com/

This sight is where the "Sannds fix" was first posted this entails a couple spring swaps to properly reduce the MASSIVE double action trigger pull (kinda a second safety(but damn 24-28Lbs!))

the guys here got Wolf Springs to make a fix kit, I fixed mine the old way With a Walther spring & a shortened H&K-P7 recoil spring a couple of years ago before they got Wolf to make the proper P-64 kit.

Do not get this pistol confused with a Makarov, It was manufactured under the eastern block so it is chambered in Mak, but it is not a Mak. post-19652-1251080668.jpg

The P-64 is known to be one of the MOST accurate & smallest pistols that carry a powerful round.

9mm pistols from overseas "gray market" imported can be tricky because they only usually have "9mm" stamped on them.

When properly imported into the US the importers are required to stamp the proper designation on the pistol.

The P-64 is chambered in 9x18-Mak. This round was intentionally made in a slightly larger diameter so in a wartime situation the Soviet 9x18-mak-cal pistols could fire the euro-9mm round (although not as accurately due to a looser fit) But the Europeans would not be able to use the Soviet round. If you were to try this I would do a little research first as I personally only ever fired 9x18-Mak out of mine.

This should tell you about all you need to know about the P-64 http://www.p64resource.com/

This sight is where the "Sannds fix" was first posted this entails a couple spring swaps to properly reduce the MASSIVE double action trigger pull (kinda a second safety(but damn 24-28Lbs!))

the guys here got Wolf Springs to make a fix kit, I fixed mine the old way With a Walther spring & a shortened H&K-P7 recoil spring a couple of years ago before they got Wolf to make the proper P-64 kit.

Do not get this pistol confused with a Makarov, It was manufactured under the eastern block so it is chambered in Mak, but it is not a Mak. post-19652-1251080668.jpg

The P-64 is known to be one of the MOST accurate & smallest pistols that carry a powerful round.

9mm pistols from overseas "gray market" imported can be tricky because they only usually have "9mm" stamped on them.

When properly imported into the US the importers are required to stamp the proper designation on the pistol.

Having owned a makarov, I will have to say that it was VERY accurate and the recoil was very manageable. I still miss having that gun and will definitely pick up another. The P-64 is similar to the Makarov in weight and configuration, thus why the two firearms share similar operating characteristics.

I got the same make and model Walther. Mine even says made in West Germany like yours. I say keep it! I enjoy mine, and it fits great in the pants pockets.

Having owned a makarov, I will have to say that it was VERY accurate and the recoil was very manageable. I still miss having that gun and will definitely pick up another. The P-64 is similar to the Makarov in weight and configuration, thus why the two firearms share similar operating characteristics.

Personally I like the P-64 because it is just more sexy. It is like a little James Bond pistol. I have owned a Mak & it was great, but the P-64 has a better finish, it's slightly smaller, it has a loaded chamber indicator that you can feel in the dark & lastly it is Polish.

The only drawback is that it has a surprisingly stout amount of felt recoil. This makes it more of a service piece rather than a "plinking" target pistol. If you go & put 150 rounds through it your hand will feel like your shoulder does after putting 150 rounds through your S-12 with the factory stock.

That being said, once you get use to it it's not all that bad & in an adrenaline filled situation when you would actually use it, You wouldn't notice a thing.

The design like I previously said was influenced by the Walther PPK above which is one of the cornerstone pistols of the gun world & it influenced many pistols. The PPK, not the luger was the preferred pistol of many German officers when it came out, including their furor.

EDIT: Oh, & 9mm kurz that the PK uses is U.S.- .380 or 9x17mm, a weaker round than it's 9x18-mak or 9x19-luger counterparts.

Edited by Paulyski