My first Saiga

I bought a Saiga 12 at a local Gun show last weekend and finally got to shoot it Friday night. It would not cycle my light load Winchester 8 shot ammo on either setting one or two. Switch to a hotter load Winchester ammo and all I can say is wow. Not one ftf. What a blast to shoot. Went through the twelve round mag in no time. Can't wait to get out and shoot it some more!

Anybody here in the Knoxville, Tn area that knows of a gunsmith to do the conversion of the trigger?

Thanks.

Congratulations on your new Saiga 12! You will love it. I used to live in K town about 10 years ago. There used to be a gunsmith off of Kingston Pike near Papermill road if I am not mistaken. I am sure you won't have too much difficulty finding a good smith in "the patron state of shootin' stuff."

good luck,

--Dave

Congrats on the Saiga purchase.

Mine initially would not cycle the weak Winchester. Following the advice on these forums though, i polished the paint off the rails and polished a few points of the bolt and carrier and it cycles everything without problem now.

Over time, as they get broken in, they should begin to cycle the lighter loads without problem.

Good luck!

Thinking about trying to do the conversion myself. Just wondering just how much cutting is involved?

Has anyone tried the Fal Style Hammer/Trigger Pin Retainer Plate to replace the Shepard's Crook

Sure, it works well. Just make sure that you get one like the Krebs that it designed for the Saiga 12 and not a regular AK model that will have to be modded in the S12. Also the work better if you mod the OEM BHO.

The urge to convert is killing me. My own doughts seem to hold me back.

A few questions:

1 - I am thinking of using the Tromix Trigger Guard. My saiga came with a Tapco T6 stock. Will the pistol grip work with the Tromix TG?

2 - Can someone explain to me the difference between single and double hooked triggers.

3 - So if you buy a Tapco G2 FCG you have to grind on it some. Can you not buy it preground or does it need to be fitted to the gun?

Thanks for any help!

The urge to convert is killing me. My own doubts seem to hold me back.

It's really easy to do .

A few questions:

1 - I am thinking of using the Tromix Trigger Guard. My saiga came with a Tapco T6 stock. Will the pistol grip work with the Tromix TG?

The Tromix DIY Trigger Guard was designed specifically for the Tapco Saw Style pistol grip.

2 - Can someone explain to me the difference between single and double hooked triggers.

Single hooks have one hook holding the trigger and double's have two. The Saiga receiver is cut for a single hook.

3 - So if you buy a Tapco G2 FCG you have to grind on it some. Can you not buy it preground or does it need to be fitted to the gun?

Carolina Shooters Supply has everything you need to convert. Not only that he has the fastest shipping of any vendor I've seen. The part is called "TRIGGER GROUP-TROMIX SAIGA FIRE CONTROL GROUP".

There are video's and posts on how to convert. Just pay attention to them and you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Thanks for any help!

Good luck!

The grip that comes with the T-6 stock has a different angle for the bolt, from what I understand.

I have the Tromix DIY TG, the T-6 Saw grip, and the Saw grip for AK's, but I never tried to install the T-6 grip on the TG. I could double check, but maybe someone else who has already tried this can confirm.

I am not a very handy person with very little experience with power tools of any kind. It took me a long time to decide to do a Saiga conversion. I am very glad that I did it though and it turned out to be rather easy. This list has helped me tremendously, as far as getting the right parts for the conversion:

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.p...bf4e344a3a14d62

I have gotten my parts from both http://www.mississippiautoarms.com and http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com

They have both been great.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on your new conversion! 3 hours isn't bad for a first time conversion. That's about how long it took me. I converted my 7.62 last weekend, and it took me less than half that time. It's pretty easy to remember what the pitfalls were after the first one!

Expecting to see some pics soon. :)

Nice work, I got my Saiga 12 this weekend, same issues with the low powered shells, but it shoots amazing with a little more powerful shell. I have the same Tapco stock you have, and want to thank you for converting first, so I could see if I like the results, which I do 8-) WHere did you get the front grip????

Edited by jtp

What have you all been using to paint the bottom of the receiver after converting?

First, nice job on the restoration! Not that bad right? I bought some Krylon from the hardware store and used that to cover the bare metal on the bottom of the receiver. It's a lot more flat than what's on there but it's such a small area I'm not too concerned.

Nice work, I got my Saiga 12 this weekend, same issues with the low powered shells, but it shoots amazing with a little more powerful shell. I have the same Tapco stock you have, and want to thank you for converting first, so I could see if I like the results, which I do 8-) WHere did you get the front grip????

I bought it at a local gun show this past weekend.

It is a Tapco Intrafuse forearm and Tapco grip.

What have you all been using to paint the bottom of the receiver after converting?

First, nice job on the restoration! Not that bad right? I bought some Krylon from the hardware store and used that to cover the bare metal on the bottom of the receiver. It's a lot more flat than what's on there but it's such a small area I'm not too concerned.

No, not as bad as I thought it would be. I have not got to shot it yet since the restoration. I am really looking forward to shooting it soon. I will get some Krylon and use it. Thanks.