Reliable low brass cycling tech??

I have looked through the forum threads, and have not seen anything telling how to clean up, polish up, or otherwise help the S-12 reliably shoot low brass.

I saw it mentioned that there is such a thread, but no direction to it?????

My New Saiga will not cycle it, at least yet.

I could've sworn I've answered this question 3+ times or so in the last couple weeks but...

There are a few ways to loosen-up or break-in your gun so that it will reliably cycle low-brass birdshot, (by "low-brass birdshot", I mean Federal "value pack" as a minimum, don't bother with the similarly-priced Winchester "universal", it's too weak).

The method I used was to fire ~100 high-brass shells through my gun, (at least 1 1/4 oz shot, 3 3/4 dram). After this, your gun should reliably cycle Federal "value pack" birdshot on setting 2.

There are other things you can do as well, such as polishing certain internal parts, buying an aftermarket gas plug, (Gunfixr's gas plug), and/or an aftermarket gas puck, (such as one from King's Armory or E-Tac). I use an E-Tac puck and a Gunfixr's gas plug. They work well together, (and the puck gives you 1 more US part). The plug especially gives you more control over your gun, I highly recommend it.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

run a couple hundred 3in mag slugs on setting 1 and your gun will cycle most anything with no problems.

Yeah, no shit. :D

jtp: you don't have to necessarily use 3" shells or fire that many, (usually ~100-120 high-brass 2 3/4" shells are sufficient), but saigafreake's even more expensive break-in will definitely work.

My gun eats anything and everything down to Federal "value pack" birdshot, (~$20/100 at Wallyworld), and I've only fired ~20 3" 00 buckshot shells, and ~100 2 3/4" high-brass shells through through her, (mostly slugs and buck). I've fired a lot more of the aforementioned Fed "value pack" than anything else, (it's cheap and fairly destructive when using a choke). I haven't fired anywhere near "a couple hundred 3in mag slugs" through my gun, but I wish I had.. that sounds like a lot of fun. :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic

You can also polish your rails, bolt, and carrier, or have someone else do it (cobra, jack travers, tromix etc). You should check your ports and make sure you have at least 3 otherwise you're gonna have difficulties. As a last resort you can buy weaker springs. The gunfixers plug was an excellent investment. Doesn't give you more gas, but gives you more options.

That doesn't sound pleasant at all. A little asian guy dressed in all black that fixes your guns, then kills you silently in your sleep. I want my gun fixed by a pirate :chris: sure they smell bad, and they find men attractive from being out at sea all year, and they'll take all your stuff....actually never mind. I want my gun fixed by a robot!

I have looked through the forum threads, and have not seen anything telling how to clean up, polish up, or otherwise help the S-12 reliably shoot low brass.

I am not a gunsmith or a machinist just a Dremel Tool Ranger so I will not refute those who have replied to this thread. However, my experience with a Saiga IZ-109 may help you. Firstly, I did the standard pistol grip conversion using a TAPCO G2 trigger group. I replaced the factory hammer spring with a reduced power spring. I replaced the standard gas plug with Gunfixers Improved Gas Plug. I then replaced the front recoil spring with a Wolff 11lb 1911 spring. Finally, I cut the barrel to 18" and recrowned it thanks to the tools I rented from Dinzag.

I have yet to put slugs or buckshot through the shotgun. All I've put through it are hundreds of these:

The Federal ammo actually stinks. I mean it smells really bad. Whatever they use for powder must include taggants made from cow shit. The Federal has considerably more oomph than the Winchester ammo and functions perfectly with the gas plug set to allow the bare minimum of gas into the action.

ShotgunShellsFed.gif

The Winchester load is very light. Nevertheless, it functions perfectly with the gas plug set to the next to the largest setting. In other words, the gas plug still has one more click left on it before it gets to the max gas setting.

ShotgunShellsWin.gif

My test for perfect functioning is loosely holding the shotgun and firing from the hip.

I have not put any 3" shells through it. I have not polished the rails or the face of the hammer but I did polish the underside of the bolt. Certainly I didn't do any grinding on the bolt - just loaded up the felt wheel on my trusty Dremel and let fly.

In my opinion, the new gas plug and replacing the front recoil spring with a light 1911 recoil spring were the key factors in allowing this shotgun to run like a scalded dog with the extremely light Winchester ammo.

Thanks for the replies,

I downloaded the thread, for reveiw at the work bench.

The idea of simply shooting it until it breaks in ain't bad either.

The thing is so much fun to shoot.

I order a bigger Mag for it.

I have inservice training next week, so i'll have plenty of range time

Some of my coworkers want to see this intimidating monster in action.

They all have ARs so this beast should be interesting on the range.

I already picked up some 00 buck.

Using high brass may or may not work. If it doesn't, you probably aren't getting enough gas through the vents to drive the piston with the low brass wallyworld ammo .

After market plugs may helpful if you have enough gas to begin with, but if not you will need to have an expert address the gas system. If your gun is still under warranty, contact Cadiz gun works, or RAA regarding warranty repairs. If it isn't under warranty there are most likely a number of business members who will cheerfully fix your gas system in exchange for money.

Good luck,

WS

run a couple hundred 3in mag slugs on setting 1 and your gun will cycle most anything with no problems.

Yeah, no shit. :D

jtp: you don't have to necessarily use 3" shells or fire that many, (usually ~100-120 high-brass 2 3/4" shells are sufficient), but saigafreake's even more expensive break-in will definitely work.

My gun eats anything and everything down to Federal "value pack" birdshot, (~$20/100 at Wallyworld), and I've only fired ~20 3" 00 buckshot shells, and ~100 2 3/4" high-brass shells through through her, (mostly slugs and buck). I've fired a lot more of the aforementioned Fed "value pack" than anything else, (it's cheap and fairly destructive when using a choke). I haven't fired anywhere near "a couple hundred 3in mag slugs" through my gun, but I wish I had.. that sounds like a lot of fun. :D

It's how I broke in mine. I got them cheap from K-Mart when they were clearancing out Remington shotshells. $2 a box (5 per box). Shot about 50-60 3"magnum slugs, switched over to birdshot/target bulkpack stuff and never got a failure. Since then I polished the bolt to a mirror finish (done myself). It's smooth as silk now and cycles everything I've put in it. I mostly shoot slugs though.