Debris On Puck

I have taken my Saiga out twice:

First time out--right out of the box fired 125 rds of cheap 8 shot ammo--NO FAILURES AT ALL and it was set on the heavy gas setting

Second time out--stove pipe, jamming SOB--couldn't fire 5 rds w/o a failure to eject. I switched to the light gas setting, and it really did no better.

I brought the gun home and stripped it to clean, and found "crusty debris" on top of the gas piston.

Any ideas as to why this fired like a champ out of the box, and now is acting up on me? I was thinking a was lucky and picked up a pretty solid made unit--now I am wondering if I have to do some modifying?

Thanks for the help!

I have taken my Saiga out twice:

First time out--right out of the box fired 125 rds of cheap 8 shot ammo--NO FAILURES AT ALL and it was set on the heavy gas setting

Second time out--stove pipe, jamming SOB--couldn't fire 5 rds w/o a failure to eject. I switched to the light gas setting, and it really did no better.

I brought the gun home and stripped it to clean, and found "crusty debris" on top of the gas piston.

Any ideas as to why this fired like a champ out of the box, and now is acting up on me? I was thinking a was lucky and picked up a pretty solid made unit--now I am wondering if I have to do some modifying?

Thanks for the help!

what kind of ammo were you using???

• Like 1

Not positive, but it was cheap, low brass dove load.

The thing is I used the same ammo--both times

The crust was sitting on top of the puck when i pulled the regulator out. There may have been some on ports as well I used a brush to try and clear them out a bit.

The crust was grainy but it didn;t crumble when rubbed it in my fingers.

I remember reading in a thread that some guys leave the bolt locked back for a month or so--I cleaned it up pretty well, oiled it and left the bolt locked to the rear.--any other cheap fixes, or do I need to start looking at buying some parts?

Assuming you can see all the gas ports, hook the end of a paperclip and ream out the gas ports. Residue on the puck between cleanings is normal. If there's garbage in the gas exchange chamber just empty it out. You may need a warranty gas system service. Call Cadiz gun works for more info.

Good luck,

WS

i would suggest trying some different types of shells. try to stay away from the winchester value packs, a lot of people have problems with it. federal and remington are better. one product i could recommend is the gunfxr adjustable gas knob (even for people who don't have FTE problems) it gives you an extra gas settings and is hand adjustable. if you still have problems send in for warranty.

You must be talking about the hockey puck phenomenon. When you use cheap shells, and even good shells, the plastic, and burnt powder and oil bits and whatever else fly up into your gas system then form a goo that binds to your puck. As the system cycles, you'll get more and more goo up there until your gas puck is now 1/8" thicker with a black molten gooey plastic mess on the end. The goo hardens and soon your action isn't as efficient as it once was as the gas is acting against the black hockey puck. Just clean your gas chamber and bend a paper clip to clean your ports and all will be good. I get that every time i go to the range.

I appreciate the help,

I am going to take it out again to a bachelor party :) this weekend! I wanted to have the MD-20 to "enhance" the party, but it will be fun, none the less.

If I have issues this weekend, then I may be reaching out to find out what I should do next to get it back to performing flawlessly

I thanks for the help folks

Easy enough to clean the puck and brush out the gas tube. I'd suggest and highly recommend that you resist the temptation to put any kind of lube, grease, or anything on the puck. It seems like such a good idea... but it's not. Whatever you put in there grabs onto any particulate debris and after you shoot your puck turns black and has black tar-like stuff on it. From your description, I'm wondering if the shop you bought your gun from maybe didn't oil it up for you.