Dinzag Bullet Guide Question

I gotta question about Dinzag's bullet guides...

I know on Dinzags site, he advertises the 5.45x39 bullet guides to work with both factory and milspec mags. but is it the same for the 7.62x39 bullet guide that he sells as well? I wanna kill 2 birds with 1 stone when i order one for each of my Saigas. I want to be able to still use me factory mags with the new bullet guides.

I know on Dinzags site, he advertises the 5.45x39 bullet guides to work with both factory and milspec mags. but is it the same for the 7.62x39 bullet guide that he sells as well?

Yes. You can still use your factory Saiga mags, after installing the bullet guide on your x39.

More than likely, you won't have to do anything to use the factory mags. But I had to file down part of the "lip/guide" that is on factory mags, to be able to lock them in. The mag was hitting the face of the bullet guide when I tried to insert factory mags. Most people report not having to do this though. I guess I just installed my guide with a little too much of the bullet guide hanging out. Still runs 100% though, with both factory mags and regular AK mags.

Short answer is yes .

Make sure you order the correct type of guide for your trunion.Either flat or round.

I had one round and 1 flat on my 2 conversions .

Hope this helps

Ok, just for my own piece of mind...how to know if im going to need a round or flat guide? are there any pictures of the two posted anywhere around here?

i think there is a .pdf file on dinzags website, just click on the bullet guide and it should be in there.

EDIT; here ya go...

http://www.dinzagarms.com/downloads/bg_install.pdf

you can open the bolt and have a look see right in front of the chamber.

Edited by Mullet Man

i think there is a .pdf file on dinzags website, just click on the bullet guide and it should be in there.

EDIT; here ya go...

alright thanks... it looks like both my 7.62 & 5.45 are flat.

• 1 month later...

EDIT; here ya go...

alright thanks... it looks like both my 7.62 & 5.45 are flat.

FWIW, I checked one of my two x39's prior to conversion. It needed a curved BG, so I ordered 2 (thinking both guns would be the same, as they were ordered at the same time). Imagine my surprise when I found the 2nd gun needed a FLAT BG, not a round one! A little checking, measuring, eyeballing, etc determined that one CAN use a round BG in a flat (square) trunnion. The round BG is still touching / supported in 3 places: Roughly 9 o'clock, 6 o'clock, and 3 o'clock. IMO, given the lack of stresses of any sort on the BG, this should be sufficient support. The curve of the round BG gave me tangent contact at those three areas.

What do I think I've learned? If in doubt, order round BG's. They can be used in guns "needing" flat BG, but the opposite isn't true.

Edited by motoguy

I know on Dinzags site, he advertises the 5.45x39 bullet guides to work with both factory and milspec mags. but is it the same for the 7.62x39 bullet guide that he sells as well?

Yes. You can still use your factory Saiga mags, after installing the bullet guide on your x39.

More than likely, you won't have to do anything to use the factory mags. But I had to file down part of the "lip/guide" that is on factory mags, to be able to lock them in. The mag was hitting the face of the bullet guide when I tried to insert factory mags. Most people report not having to do this though. I guess I just installed my guide with a little too much of the bullet guide hanging out. Still runs 100% though, with both factory mags and regular AK mags.

I also had to file the lip of the factory mag and yes it works totally fine with the BG now.

If you put the guide 'recess' under the trunnion/breach properly you won't need to file you factory mags at all.

That was my problem. I drilled the hole with a hand drill, and didn't even center punch the spot. The bit started to walk a little, and I think that's why my guide sticks out a tiny bit. No worries from me though, it still runs 100%.

If you put the guide 'recess' under the trunnion/breach properly you won't need to file you factory mags at all.

I marked mine with the factory mag in place before I drilled it to be as tight fit as can be. Both factory and surplus mags fit and function fine.

I installed my BG properly, but it still sticks out. I think it's just variations in BGs as well as rifles themselves. I don't believe either Izhmash and Dinzag are ISO 9000 certified :devil: