safety over travel

and one thing to remember, it's an AK, things will rattle, be very sloppy, and it may be ugly.

My safety goes up to far also, as does one of my AK's, my SAR-1 is the only one where the safety lever stops perfect into the dust cover.

The over travel is normal. The simplest solution would be to install a second stop toward the top of the receiver, but that could prove cumbersome, and interfere with operation of the charging handle.

Once you get used to it, you'll learn to manually stop the safety in the proper position.

WS

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about a little dust. I continued shooting mine during a sandstorm at the local outdoor range this week. Never missed a round or a target;)

WS

This is the solution I did that I saw someone do here. I think it was Cobra.

Basically just make a small indentation where you want the safety to click and stop.

s12indent01.jpg

Here is where my safety stops now

s12indent02.jpg

Camon put his receiver indent lower than I would, (lookit that gap! lots of dust will get in there! :rolleyes:), but yeah that works.

Bending the lip of your top cover in a bit with a pair of vice grips so that it makes contact with the safety lever before it over travels and rides up on the bolt carrier also works.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Camon put his receiver indent lower than I would, (lookit that gap! lots of dust will get in there! :rolleyes:), but yeah that works.

Bending the lip of your top cover in a bit with a pair of vice grips so that it makes contact with the safety lever before it over travels and rides up on the bolt carrier also works.

I put it all the way up when storing. The indent is for when I go to the range or trap shooting.

Also, its an AK. And its fully cleaned and re-oiled after every use so I'm not too worried about dust.

+1

KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!)

I too put a dimple on the receiver where I wanted the safety to stop.

"Think of all the dust that could get in there"

Bwahahahahaha LMFAO! :lolol:

Your going to have to have a hell of alot more than dust in there to affect cycling in any way.

Its a frakkin AK, drag it thru mud/muddy water, give it a shake/cycle the action and fire for effect.