Family Says 911 Tape Caught Cops Planning Cover-Up After Shooting

A homeowner says a Phoenix police officer shot him six times in the back during a 911 home-invasion call, and the 911 tape recorded the officer's partner saying, "That's all right. Don't worry about it. I got your back. ... We clear?" The family says the officers were not aware that the 911 call was still recording as they spoke about covering up the shooting. Anyone in the Phoenix area know about this? It's really disturbing to think that this could happen.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/09/23/Family_Says_911_Tape_Caught_Cops_Planning_Cover-Up_After_Shooting.htm

A homeowner says a Phoenix police officer shot him six times in the back during a 911 home-invasion call, and the 911 tape recorded the officer's partner saying, "That's all right. Don't worry about it. I got your back. ... We clear?" The family says the officers were not aware that the 911 call was still recording as they spoke about covering up the shooting. Anyone in the Phoenix area know about this? It's really disturbing to think that this could happen.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/09/23/Family_Says_911_Tape_Caught_Cops_Planning_Cover-Up_After_Shooting.htm

Quote. The Arambulas say the officers later dragged Anthony onto gravel, then put him on top of the hot hood of a squad car, and "drove the squad car down the street with Tony lying on top, writing in pain."

Why do I not believe that?

Quote. The Arambulas say the officers later dragged Anthony onto gravel, then put him on top of the hot hood of a squad car, and "drove the squad car down the street with Tony lying on top, writing in pain."

writing in pain? Depressed poetry is not a cure for multiple gunshots.

Panel clears policeman in accidental shooting

Homeowner hurt in hunt for intruder files suit

by Michael Ferraresi - Sept. 26, 2009 12:00 AM

The Arizona Republic .

A Phoenix police officer who mistakenly shot an armed homeowner during a search for an intruder was cleared of wrongdoing this week by a committee that reviews such shootings.

The ruling by the Phoenix Use of Force Board determined Officer Brian Lilly acted within police policy in the incident, in which he fired six shots at the homeowner amid the confusion of a home invasion last September.

The shooting hospitalized homeowner Tony Arambula, who earlier this year sought a $5.75 million settlement in the case.

Lilly and Phoenix Sgt. Sean Coutts were named in a lawsuit filed last week in Maricopa County Superior Court.

Arambula, 36, was armed and holding a suspect at bay when he suffered gunshot wounds to his back and arm, according to the complaint.

Arambula claimed Lilly shot him twice as he lay bleeding on the floor of his living room, his wife and two young sons nearby.

The suspect, Angel Anastacio Canales, had broken into Arambula's home near 32nd Street and Thomas Road as officers tracked him from a "shots-fired" call in the area.

Arambula had the gunman cornered in his 12-year-old son's room when the officer opened fire.

"This is the type of thing that so severely demeans the credibility of these (police) review boards," said Michael Manning, the attorney representing Arambula.

"Physically, it would have been impossible for (Lilly) to see Tony's face or the gun," he said. "They admit on the 911 call that they didn't warn him."

Officer Jerry Gannon, Lilly's representative from the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association, said it took less than one minute from when officers entered the home searching for a Hispanic male suspect to the when Lilly reacted to seeing Arambula holding a gun.

Gannon and other members of the organization's board said the shooting was difficult to avoid, considering the fluidity of the emergency scene.

"If Brian would have known there was a homeowner in there, he probably would have hesitated," Gannon said, "but if he had hesitated, and it was the (suspect), the outcome could have been tragic."

A cop could walk into your house, pick up your child, and shoot it in the head and never see a day in prison. At absolute worst, they'd lose their job and get a year or two of paid leave before it happened.

police-brutality.jpg

And if anybody thinks this is cop bashing, I hope you get shot 4 times in the back by a cop, then while being recorded they say they fucked up and are going to cover up their fuckup and shoot you twice more, put you on the hood of their car, and drive around watching you writhe in pain. And I hope the cops are cleared, and you aren't allowed to see a lawyer or your family while you in the hospital fighting to stay alive. You know, I hope the same on you that this guy has had to go through. Although I probably left out the part where they shot his dog or kicked his baby or something.

Edited by Twinsen
  • Like 1

Bad times if this is true.

I know not all Phoenix cops are bad, in fact most are decent cops. Especially when they protect the guy carrying an AR-15 at a protest as opposed to pinning his ass on the ground and sending him to camp Joe.

• Like 1
Panel clears policeman in accidental shooting

"If Brian would have known there was a homeowner in there, he probably would have hesitated," Gannon said, "but if he had hesitated, and it was the (suspect), the outcome could have been tragic."Yeah, like the homowner could hve been shot or something

A cop could walk into your house, pick up your child, and shoot it in the head and never see a day in prison. At absolute worst, they'd lose their job and get a year or two of paid leave before it happened.

That's why you keep your door locked and if someone tries to break in they get the nasty end of an S12. I know there are a lot of good cops out there, but this kind of shit needs to stop. Some one who is supposed to uphold the laws should be at the very least punished for screwing up this bad and trying to cover it up. I wonder if there is audio yet?

My plan for dealing with a home invasion included having the wife call the police while I confront the baddies. After reading this, I think the plan will be for her to pick up her own rifle and back me up, and only call the police after the action is settled.

By no means are they all bad. But man, why do they have this much power? There's no reason for it. It just means the bad ones can pull this off.

Yeah I agree, Id bet that less than %30 of LEO's are corrupt bullies who take pleasure in harming their fellow citizens. Still the fact that the other %70 always seem to have their back is disturbing. Way to much power for people to have.

3182128546_02d380f823_o.jpg

By no means are they all bad. But man, why do they have this much power? There's no reason for it. It just means the bad ones can pull this off.

"I have your back" So, this means to you, " I am willing to lie to make this right."

I guess that, to you, there is no way it could possibility mean, "I know that you just had to shoot someone and right or wrong you are going to get racked over the coals by the media and every Internet nutball from here to Timbuktu. I saw it and I will tell the truth."

Quit drinking so much of your own Kool-Aid, you are becoming a victim of your own paranoia.

Yeah I agree, Id bet that less than %30 of LEO's are corrupt bullies who take pleasure in harming their fellow citizens. Still the fact that the other %70 always seem to have their back is disturbing. Way to much power for people to have.

Hey BigSal, every work for a police department? Have you ever been a part of an investigation that exposed police corruption? Can you name any law enforcement officials, that you know personally, that are involved in corruption? No, I am not talking about something that you got off of Google.

No? So where do your figures come from? The answer is of course, no where. Where have gained this inside knowledge in to how all police think and act? Name names, please?

Here's one more quick question, "By what moral standard does a proved liar gain the authority to denigrate a whole profession as thugs and abettors?"

Edited by Azrial

Generalizing a group of people because of the actions of a few is fucking stupid. Yes, law enforcement is given more power than many (including myself) think is healthy for our society. Yes, power lends itself to corruption. This absolutely does not mean that every police officer in every department in every place can get away with any crime at any time. That doesn't make sense.

Some areas, for example, have law enforcement agencies that treat each other as rivals. In the Omaha, Nebraska metro area the Sarpy County sheriffs generally don't get along very well with any of the Douglas County law enforcement. There's been at least one case in which an off-duty Omaha police officer has been arrested by a Sarpy County sheriff for driving under the influence.

An Omaha police officer was convicted of rape in 2005 after telling a prostitute to choose between blowing him and going to jail; she chose not to go to jail. A civil suit was filed by the woman, and settled out of court.

Most cops are not corrupt assholes. Those few that are should be punished very harshly.

Well, at least the guy lived. That's something I guess. He could've ended up lying on the floor handcuffed and bleeding to death while the officers planted drugs in his house to make it look like a justified shoot. Or maybe shot in the back buy a guy who later claimed he thought he was holding his taser instead of his sidearm.

That first case, I remember all the pro-cop talk at the time, all the slander leveled at the dead woman, all the shouting down of anyone who dared voice any criticism. I also remember all that died off as soon as the first officer involved finally cracked and spilled his guts about what really happened. But hey, just a few bad apples, they've got a really dangerous and thankless job, you don't get it because you're a civilian and shut up that's why. Nothing to see here folks, move along...

• Like 1

Generalizing a group of people because of the actions of a few is fucking stupid. Yes, law enforcement is given more power than many (including myself) think is healthy for our society. Yes, power lends itself to corruption. This absolutely does not mean that every police officer in every department in every place can get away with any crime at any time. That doesn't make sense.

Some areas, for example, have law enforcement agencies that treat each other as rivals. In the Omaha, Nebraska metro area the Sarpy County sheriffs generally don't get along very well with any of the Douglas County law enforcement. There's been at least one case in which an off-duty Omaha police officer has been arrested by a Sarpy County sheriff for driving under the influence.

An Omaha police officer was convicted of rape in 2005 after telling a prostitute to choose between blowing him and going to jail; she chose not to go to jail. A civil suit was filed by the woman, and settled out of court.

Most cops are not corrupt assholes. Those few that are should be punished very harshly.

Well, that's not all in NE. In the smaller towns the cops have a "do not arrest" list. One of our officers a couple of years ago arrested the mayor for DUI. He was promptly out of a job when he wouldn't budge on his actions. You big city cops might scoff at this, but the shit in a small town goes on and on. That's just politics. I know it was years ago, and things were a lot different now than they were then, but I even remember partiying with the cops until they went on duty, and then they would bust you if they caught you. It really wasn't that long ago. Things are completlely differerent now, but the "do not arrest list " still exists. It always will be there for the movers and shakers of this pathetic burg. I have nothing against cops. They are just like you and me, and want to go home to their families at the end of the day. My hat is off to them. Except for the asshats like in the video. The deal with the mayor being busted and covered up was only a couple of years ago, though. In a small town, even in the north, they do whatever the fuck they want.

What a terrible story. Mr. Arambula seems to have done everything right. He protected his family and even showed restraint in not shooting the dirtbag intruder. In this case I wish Mr. Arambula had shot the intruder...according to the stories I have read the intruder had been involved in a drive-by shooting in the area and was running from the police officers. To grab a child for protection was cowardly. If Mr. Arambula had shot the intruder he may not have been harmed.

The police officer committed, and admitted, a "HUGE" mistake. He shot before he was sure of his target. If the reports are accurate the officer has admitted to shooting before properly identifying himself as a law enforcement officer. I'm not exactly sure what happened just prior to the officer entering Mr. Arambula's house. The officers were in the area responding to a drive-by shooting. Still, as supportive as I am of law enforcement I cannot accept how this situation seems to have turned out. Police officers are suppose to protect and serve law abiding citizens. While I'm sure the police officer feels terrible I think he should consider a career change. Phoenix residents will never trust his decision making ability again. His fellow police officers will have to bear this burden also. Most importantly, how can he ever trust himself again?

I hope the dirtbag inturder gets locked up a good long time. If not for his criminal actions these series of events would have never unfolded. When law enforcement makes a mistake they have to own up to it...citizens need to trust and respect law enforcement. If I was on the civil jury I would make sure Mr. Arambula was awarded a large settlement. I hope after the politicians, lawyers, and police administrators are out of this mess the Arambula family can speak with the officer so he can apologize. No, that will not make the bullet scars go away but I think it needs to be done. Even if Mr. Arambula wins $75 million dollars there still should be an apology. Just my .2 cents.

Edited by t165

Ok, I'll tell you what really bothers me about this. Homecomming. A BIG deal. My Nephew is a senior in high school. He was suppoesed to "register" his date , who was out of town, by wed. He didn't get a chance to do it until Thurs. morn. The school officiacials ( the superintendant) told him no go. This guy is an honor roll student and a starter on the football team. He is a senior in High school. He is a member of FFA and a class leader. His girlfriend is a hottie, well educated person that raises horses and shows them. My nephew missed the deadline by a couple of hours and was not able to let his girlfriend, since she was out of town to attend his homecoming in a fucking town of 3500 people. They didn't have time to do a background check on her. My brother in law is the president of the school board. (he had no luck on changing their minds) He is also a leading member of the Lutheran Church here in town. How in the fuck has it come to this in mid-America? My nephew was denied his date because he didn't "register" her in time?!! He was able to go to her homecoming no problem, because it was a smaller community. Our community is around 3500 people. WHAT THE FUCK is wrong with this picture? My nephew is an Eagle Scout. Not many can claim that. This whole fucking country and their "no rules bent" mentality can KISS MY FUCKING ASS!. I really don't understand it. This state (Nebraska) really needs to try and retain some residents. My advice to my nephew was to graduate and get the fuck as far away as you can. What the hell is wron g with this picture? Sorry for the rant. I'll go back to my corner now. This is what wrong with Mid-America.

Ok, I'll tell you what really bothers me about this. Homecomming. A BIG deal. My Nephew is a senior in high school. He was suppoesed to "register" his date , who was out of town, by wed. He didn't get a chance to do it until Thurs. morn. The school officiacials ( the superintendant) told him no go.

Bron, this is EXACTLY the kind of situation you can positively affect. Run for the local school board yourself and then change the rules. It's time to start throwing the bums out at every level.

Edited by Bounce12

It's too early to take sides in this.

This story is the "homeowner's" side of it.

AND, here's the deal, if you think about it I'll bet you will agree with me, I have NEVER, EVER, seen, heard, or read a news report about an event that I had personal first-hand knowledge of that was reported without at least ONE major glaring error in it.

Think about it yourself - as it applies to your own life. Have you ever seen a news report of an event you had first-hand knowledge of that was reported EXACTLY as it really happened?

Shiiiiiiiit. I haven't.

I'm not sticking up for, nor defending, anyone here. I'm just saying we don't know the whole story yet.

Edited by Bounce12

Hey BigSal, every work for a police department? Have you ever been a part of an investigation that exposed police corruption? Can you name any law enforcement officials, that you know personally, that are involved in corruption? No, I am not talking about something that you got off of Google.

No? So where do your figures come from? The answer is of course, no where. Where have gained this inside knowledge in to how all police think and act? Name names, please?

Here's one more quick question, "By what moral standard does a proved liar gain the authority to denigrate a whole profession as thugs and abettors?"

does the tdc count , if so i think it more than 30% . and yes ive worked for the tdc and am waiting to go back to work with them .

This incident happened over a year ago (September 17, 2008) I believe. Officer Lilly has been cleared by a police review board of any wrongdoing. No criminal charges have been brought forth. The only ongoing legal action is the civil suit brought by Mr. Arambula seeking 5.75 million dollars IIRC.

The 911 tapes have been released. Go to www.abc15.com and do a search to listen to portions of the recorded 911 call. I'm sure there are other sites which have the 911 recording. Several news sources, after listening to the tape, report pretty much the same story. Those sources report that Sgt. Coates can be heard asking officer Lilly on the recorded 911 tape "where was the gun" and officer Lilly answered "I don't know, I heard screaming and I fired". I also never heard officer Lilly identify himself as a police officer prior to shooting Mr. Arambula. Mr. Arambula was never ordered to lower his weapon or that a police officer was even behind him. He was just shot from behind. Through discovery, Mr. Arambula's legal counsel has received the officer's statements concerning the incident. I have not seen one single time where the Phoenix Police Department has disputed that officer Lilly identified himself or seen a weapon prior to shooting Mr. Arambula from behind. That is just not right in my book.

The liability insurance carrier's attorney for the City of Phoenix has probably taken over the case when the tort claim was filed. I went through an incident where a man was shot and sued for somewhere between $200,000.00 and $300,000.00. I was deposed by the city's liability insurance carriers attorney and told to "clam-up" and make no comments to the press or in public. I was also deposed by the victim's attorney. The victim went all over town for several months running his mouth to anyone who would listen how I had screwed up. I could not defend myself. The fool got into a fight with another man and got shot...I was not even there and I was sued. I agree, we do not have the officer's side yet but we may never get it. But there is the 911 tapes. They reveal much to me. I'm an ex LEO and have pissed many people on this site off for supporting law enforcement but I cannot defend this incident. Mr. Arambula did everything right that I have heard and read...and was shot in the back without warning. The officer even admitted on tape and through an internal affairs investigation he did not give warning and did not see a weapon prior to shooting Mr Arambula.

Edited by t165
  • Like 1

I don't have any cop friends. I am careful with the company I keep. Also, why are you calling me a lier?

I don't have any cop friends. I am careful with the company I keep. Also, why are you calling me a lier?

Sorry, BigSal! I thought I was pretty plain on my problems with your statement. Where do your figuers come from? How do you justify your claim that 3 out of 10 cops are corrucpt and the rest are just abettors? I mean unless this is based on some soruce, it can only be a lie that you just made up.

My point is that you have no idea what you are talking about, you are just aimlessly slandering an entire profession.

• Like 1

This incident happened over a year ago (September 17, 2008) I believe. Officer Lilly has been cleared by a police review board of any wrongdoing. No criminal charges have been brought forth. The only ongoing legal action is the civil suit brought by Mr. Arambula seeking 5.75 million dollars IIRC.

The 911 tapes have been released. Go to www.abc15.com and do a search to listen to portions of the recorded 911 call. I'm sure there are other sites which have the 911 recording. Several news sources, after listening to the tape, report pretty much the same story. Those sources report that Sgt. Coates can be heard asking officer Lilly on the recorded 911 tape "where was the gun" and officer Lilly answered "I don't know, I heard screaming and I fired". I also never heard officer Lilly identify himself as a police officer prior to shooting Mr. Arambula. Mr. Arambula was never ordered to lower his weapon or that a police officer was even behind him. He was just shot from behind. Through discovery, Mr. Arambula's legal counsel has received the officer's statements concerning the incident. I have not seen one single time where the Phoenix Police Department has disputed that officer Lilly identified himself or seen a weapon prior to shooting Mr. Arambula from behind. That is just not right in my book.

The liability insurance carrier's attorney for the City of Phoenix has probably taken over the case when the tort claim was filed. I went through an incident where a man was shot and sued for somewhere between $200,000.00 and $300,000.00. I was deposed by the city's liability insurance carriers attorney and told to "clam-up" and make no comments to the press or in public. I was also deposed by the victim's attorney. The victim went all over town for several months running his mouth to anyone who would listen how I had screwed up. I could not defend myself. The fool got into a fight with another man and got shot...I was not even there and I was sued. I agree, we do not have the officer's side yet but we may never get it. But there is the 911 tapes. They reveal much to me. I'm an ex LEO and have pissed many people on this site off for supporting law enforcement but I cannot defend this incident. Mr. Arambula did everything right that I have heard and read...and was shot in the back without warning. The officer even admitted on tape and through an internal affairs investigation he did not give warning and did not see a weapon prior to shooting Mr Arambula.

This post seems alot more informative and reasonable than either of you two's back and forth bickering about which emotional "gut feeling" response is more correct, or most based entirely on personal bias. Not saying you shouldnt, by all means, knock eachother out, but hopefully you dont get so carried away that good posts like this one get burried in your back and forth. :rolleyes: Some people will never agree on some things...

Other than s12's kicking ass (took mine out tuesday, going again friday) im pretty sure EVERYONE agrees on that.

Then Again, only Az has a disclaimer on his post, so id say he wins by default, by taking that preemptive step. Maybe Sal should consider crafting his own. :lolol:

I think this about sums it up, and the reason that they have this much power, and the reason some people feel so strongly about police issues, is a lack of societal responsibility. In a well rounded society with an emphasis on personal responsibily, that extends to those around you, you would neither see these kinds of problems, nor would the debate be so polarized.

As long as you give any one group a monopoly on force, you also give that same group a monopoly on fucking up and using it abusively.

As we all know, everyone is going to fuck up, every once in a while. Its just the monopoly that makes it a problem, as someone is going to see the fuckups, and they are going to wonder who fucks up the most, and identify them as the problem, whether they are or not.

Edited by ReverendFranz

My plan for dealing with a home invasion included having the wife call the police while I confront the baddies. After reading this, I think the plan will be for her to pick up her own rifle and back me up, and only call the police after the action is settled.

call lawyer first then lock all weapons not used in shooting up ,and take all accessories off gun ,start every sentence off with i was afraid for my life.