Scope recomendation for .308

My Saiga .308 with 22" barrel comes in tomorrow from Centerfire. I have started to assemble the conversion parts. MAA is sending FCG, triggerguard, and tapco handguard. Centerfire is sending ATI stock and bipod. I am interested in a recommendation for a scope. I fgure I will get a mount that locks onto the optics rail like I had on my 47. What scope are you guys using. I am interested in being able to see what I hit at 300 yds and don't mind spending a little money on something nice. Thanks for the info.

Travis

In my younger days, I tended to buy the cheaper glass, but these days I stick with Zeiss, top end Burris models, and Leupold. Though I have sent more Leupolds back for repair than any other scope, the optics are quite clear on them. I would also recommend getting a bit more magnification than you plan to use and run it shy of the it's top end magnification. Scopes never seem to be as clear when they are turned all the way up to their highest power.

Tony

I'm looking for the same thing you are. I had an Oglesby (sp?) scope that I was talked into buying. Waste of money. Doesnt hold zero after shooting. I'm most likely going to get a posp side mount scope. I have one on my PSL and it works great! Very clear lenses

Any of the high end stuff that Tony mentioned would be good, I have a Leupold Vari-x III on a hard kicking 300 ultra mag, and have had no problems. If your looking for a little less money, but still good quality, I have had very good luck with Burris Fullfield II's, I would not hesitate to put one of them (I have 4, bought at different times if that tells you anything) on my S-308.

Also, besides what Tony had mentioned is also the Simmons line of scopes, and some of their better grades are well known for holding zero. There are targets on here that I have posted with a simple Telstar 3 x 9 x 32 that I had yarons ago. I have it on my .223 and a Simmons on my .308 at the moment. I'll have to see how the Simmons holds out. Cabela's has put their name on some quality scopes and they are VERY easy to work with if there is any issue. I worked for Cabela's back in Nebraska at their returns warehouse in Oshkosh. We have seen all kind of scopes returned, including Burris, Leopold, Weaver, Zeiss, Swarvoski (sp) and a lot of others. No one seems to be exempt from having an occasional "dud". Getting one to stay on zero and then getting one to hold same POI as the power increases and decreases is most desirable. I have seen the scope drift off to the one side and and at an angle when power was changed. Saw this through a scope bore sighting tool. These kinds of scopes are not worth keeping. Send such things back, for they are supposed to not move from one power to the next.

Get a minimum of 12 power. More might be better, but it seems that the higher magnification ones are also a little more sensitive to recoil shock.

Hello

Don't overlook the IOR (Romanian) line of optics. Very high quality glass, nearly bullet-proof design.

Not built to be beautiful, but who cares? Besides, they're Eastern-Bloc.

Oh, they are a good bargain, but they ain't cheap.....

guido

I have an IOR 10 X 56 MP-8 on my Remi 700 (well, not on still waiting for the rings) and after some research found this to be a good long distance scope.

What in the IOR line would be more suited to the Saiga, which obviously isn't the best (not saying it can't do it) for shooting super long distance?

Also, since were on the subject, whoe sells a good selection of scope socks? This IOR is huge and none of the normal ones appear to be big enough.

Thanks!

Hello, REKIII

Of course, everyone has different ideas about the "ideal" optics for a given situation, but I have a couple of IOR 2.5-10 x 42 scopes on my S.308's that seem to be a good fit for me. Not too big, just enough range....The illuminated reticles are nice in low light.

They come up on ebay periodically at "reasonable" prices with MP-8 or 9 reticles.

Their durability is legendary.

I've never messed with socks, just use flip-ups.

Respectfully,

guido

I use a BSA panther 2.5-10x44mm with finger adjustable turrets that was purchased from Sportsmansguide.com for 49.99 but I think they dropped it to 39.99 but compares at over 150.00. I have mine mounted on a Leapers dust cover mounted picatinny that I got from cheaper than dirt for 15 bucks + shipping. Great spot on optics and a rock solid mount for under 100 bucks. Can't beat it. I went with the dust cover mount because my side mount broke off after about 5 rounds. I guess the 308 is a little to beefy for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a BSA panther 2.5-10x44mm with finger adjustable turrets that was purchased from Sportsmansguide.com for 49.99 but I think they dropped it to 39.99 but compares at over 150.00. I have mine mounted on a Leapers dust cover mounted picatinny that I got from cheaper than dirt for 15 bucks + shipping. Great spot on optics and a rock solid mount for under 100 bucks. Can't beat it. I went with the dust cover mount because my side mount broke off after about 5 rounds. I guess the 308 is a little to beefy for it.

how is that dust cover mount holding up? I just bought 2 saigas, one 308, and one 223. want to mount optics but searching for the best mounting method

Although I really like the Scout setup a lot Ive decided to transfer the Scout Mount and THIS SCOPE to the Saiga 7.62x39.

Ordered this POSP 8x42 for my 308 to get better performance at longer ranges.

The NCstar surprisingly held up and performed well on the 308 though hundreds of rounds, its a very low profile sitting close to the barrel plane. The trick to Scout mounting is getting a good mount (heh) that hold position under medium recoil of the 308( yes Cptn Obvious sorry).

The POSP is just a great fit for longer range rifle and haven't found anyone really talk them down yet.

Either works fine IMHO.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Ok guys, you've piqued my interest. I just bought a new Saiga 16 chambered in 308. I have a "loaded" M1A for long range precision shooting with all the bells and whistles (bipod, rail, scope, etc.). I bought the Saiga as a backup and more convenient carry for walking around with. I never really thought of scoping the Saiga but your thoughts are making me rethink that. I really know little about the range and accuracy I can expect. My only experience with an AK-like rifle was in Iraq where tools and maintenance were slipshod and the weapons were often from third world sources and poorly made. I always considered them to be close-in weapons. This forum is telling me different. And you also make me feel like I made a good choice. Thanks. Anyone have any advice or info for this newbie concerning long range engagement, breaking it in, peculiarities, etc.?

Cool you will enjoy it Im sure.

Well they certainly are not going to be as accurate or as finicky as the M1A for sure. The x39 Saiga is one of two best "AK" models on the market and its just going to be a better sub-150m weapon than most and damn near indestructible. Scout mounting is working out very well on the x39 so far, this morning in fact, as that is all about flexibility and speed. I found it lacking at longer ranges for obvious reasons. The 308 is going to be a matter of finding that ammo load that brings accuracy near the M1A. Its will go bang as a sub-4MOA shooter with anything short of a rock but the right ammo makes it sing.

• 4 weeks later...

The reason the higher magnification scopes seem clearer on lower magnifications is that the pillar of light coming out the back of the eyepiece that you view (called the "exit pupil") is larger on lower magnification. Our own pupils can dialate up to about 7mm. Having an exit pupil of 7mm or so not only makes it easier to see at night, but is less straining on our eyes in general.

By the way, you can figure out exit pupil by dividing the objective lens diameter (in mm) by the magnification level. For instance, a 40mmm Obj set at about 5-6 power would give you optimum brightness and clarity. Less eye strain too, though the higher end scopes are still comfortable to shoot on higher power.

Corbin

P.S. I realize most know this, but in case someone didn't know, the objective lens is the one on the front of the scope.

Edited by Corbin