x39 conversion in progress ( with pics )

I figured the easiest way to get MOST of the parts needed for the conversion was to buy an AK74 parts kit. It has the rear sight blade, gas block, front sight, , cleaning rod, muzzle device, trigger guard/ mag latch, gas tube, handguard retainer, and pistol grip hardware needed for the Saiga conversion. It also has the furniture that could be used but I'm not using it. This method was actually less expensive than hunting and buying all the parts individually, plus it leaves me a bunch of stuff to sell off and recoup a large portion of my money. After selling the majority of the leftovers I'm about 20 bucks in on the parts I kept. Sometimes I'm brilliant. But not usually.

DSCN7702Small.jpg

I didnt want to go with wood on this build so I picked up a set of K-var plum furniture. This also counts as 3 US made parts.

P1020309.jpg

Homemade trigger guard rivet jig. Just add 4 tons of force to smash rivets :D

The middle piece is slotted to allow for fore and aft adjustment and the threaded stud gives adjustability for different width guards.

DSCN7712Small.jpg

DSCN7713Small.jpg

Receiver with holes welded up and some cheap primer shot on. Had to weld up seven small rivet holes and one rectangular trigger hole. After it's built and tested it's gonna get stripped back down and gun-kote'd

DSCN7719Small.jpg

DSCN7720Small.jpg

Bullet guide. Cycled a mag through by hand and works awesome! Stole the idea from DinzagArms ( sorry ).

DSCN7723Small.jpg

AK74 lower retainer, gas tube, and gas block installed.

DSCN7721Small.jpg

Thinking about chopping a few inches off the barrel and backing the FSB up to the gas block. I'll then pin/ weld the brake on to keep from having to buy a stamp.

DSCN7726Small.jpg

Thanks for the props guys! I did a bunch of lurking here, reading posts and staring at pictures for awhile before I broke out the drill bits, lol.

TR Young: I'm in Old Brooklyn. Hey are you on the OFCC site?

I need to buy a crown tool so I can finish this up.

Thanks for the props guys! I did a bunch of lurking here, reading posts and staring at pictures for awhile before I broke out the drill bits, lol.

TR Young: I'm in Old Brooklyn. Hey are you on the OFCC site?

I need to buy a crown tool so I can finish this up.

I have an account on the OFCC site, but I haven't been there in almost a year.

I would really like to put together a North Central Ohio shoot, either this fall or in the spring.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting closer now, took it to the range today and ran 150 rounds through it with only 1 failure to feed when I tried to bump fire it.

Now I just need to get it blasted and decide which finish to apply.

Notice that I even managed to reinstall the BHO

Anyone notice anything odd or different?:ph34r: (besides the primer lol)

DSCN7757Medium.jpg

• 4 weeks later...