Stimpcatch update

I have been trying to find a method of attaching the stimpcatch's that will not require any modifications to the users Saiga. I think I have a solution, but unfortunately the only hardware I can currently find is all zinc plated or stainless. I have some black parts on order from MSC and I hope to be able to refinish some locknuts and stimpcatches soon so that all the parts will look good on the gun.

At least one of the beta testers is going to get their catch as is, some others have opted to wait til I have refinished them and have better parts. I will keep you guys posted as things progress.

One issue with the current versions from the machine shop is that the forward edge is a little bit back (maybe 1/32") from the edge of the magwell. This can cause a binding problem. Also, the part is flat on the magwell side and if left this way it gouges the plastic backing on the mags a bit more than I'd like. I will grind this at an angle on the units that get sold most likely. The setback might be an issue and we will have to see what the beta guys think.

Any tinker-types that might want a beta sample to try can contact me, since these aren't 100% I may not sell them, but folks who like to play with parts and files and such are welcome to try them and offer feedback.

See ya!

stimpsonjcat, just wanted to know I received my StimpCatch in the white today !

I AM EXCITED !

As soon as I am done here I will go and start playing with how to mount it and stuff.

I saw where you said these protos are a little out of your first "spec"

What problems should I expect to forsee and where exactly do you think some "filing" and work will be needed ?

I noticed that none of my 1/8 drill bits will fit into the hole. Actually, it will fit in but only just a very little bit... give me the low down on this...

LB

Yo, Stimpy, I just got mine today. You're a genius. This thing looks to be specced just right! Rather than file a lot on the catch to fit, I'm just going to remove a chunk from the safety stop plate that is screwed on between my trigger guard and the receiver. That way, only minimal filiing on the catch itself is needed. I'd rather use the bolt and Gun-Tite instead of pinning it. More drop-in.

Are you selling them yet ?

No I am not selling these yet.

I am also shutting down the beta program for now as I think I have enough testers. Some of you who have not gotten catches will get some as soon as I can get them in the mail. No promises on who will or won't get one as I only have so many samples.

Here is the current best mounting solution I currently have.

Go to ACE hardware and buy the following part #s

43130-J

43131-K

43132-M

these are two M3 x 50 metric bolts and a nylon nut for them.

Basically you then knock out the retaining pin and reassemble the spring catch and paddle with the bolt and nut. It should work out that the nut will stay against the receiver bottom and allow you to tighten the stimpcatch against the left side ear. Hopefully little if any fitting will be required. You WILL have to grind enough material off of the bolt head to get it to turn when inserted through the ears.

I did not have to do any fitting on the test unit I tried here.

I did note that the front edge of the catch was back a bit from the edge of the magwell. This may cause feeding problems, please let me know.

You may also want to file one side of the long forward face to match the angle of the plastic on the mags more closely. If you do not the flat face tends to gouge the plastic on the back of the mags. I do not know if this will ever cause any problems or not. Here is a link to a shot of my original that shows the angle.

saiga5.jpg

Please use my home email for feedback as the board stuff is aggravating to use. bruceperry@removealltel.net without the word remove.

stimpsonjcat, just wanted to know I received my StimpCatch in the white today !

I AM EXCITED !

As soon as I am done here I will go and start playing with how to mount it and stuff.

I saw where you said these protos are a little out of your first "spec"

What problems should I expect to forsee and where exactly do you think some "filing" and work will be needed ?

I noticed that none of my 1/8 drill bits will fit into the hole.  Actually, it will fit in but only just a very little bit...    give me the low down on this...

LB

Don't bother with the drill bit unless the metric bolt won't fit thru. If you want to go the route of drilling and using the 1/8" bit like I originally did, be aware you will have to drill out several parts like the mag release lever and the mag release spring ears to make it work. The bolt solution is easier and reversible.

I am trying to find more attractive, hex head, bolts to use.

Guys I haven't had a chance for the last few days to try to figure out who contacted me and in what order. I loathe board IMs on these boards and prefer emails to my home account since I regularly check that. As I stated before, no promises on who will or won't get a beta catch, I will do my best to send them to folks in the order that I was contacted, BUT, these are free...so no whining or complaining if you don't get one.

I will say if you have not sent me an email yet, please don't. There are already more folks on the list than there are beta catches.

I'll get on this next week again hopefully.

No, the stimpcatch will not prevent top round deformation. Do a search for top round deformation or similar as I did post a seperate mod for the bolt that helps with both this and insertion of magazines. I think between the stimpcatch, and the other mod to the bolt, mag insertion issues are pretty much alleviated.