SGL-21's no longer crazy expensive?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I actually keep a file of "fat and gay cop photos" for replying to Azriel!

^ I'd be more inclined to agree with you and your strategy of "keep waiting" if we didn't have a Marxist in the White House, (with "H"is fellow travelers controlling Congress).   It's not just the e

k-var = $529+18 shipping =$547 + I got to use my credit card... atlantic = "$555 OTD" + You have to run around securing a money order...   not sure what math you're using, but I prefer

Posted Images

OK, OK, read the thread and looking at the K-Var site. I see NATO length buttstocks and Warsaw length. Which is longer? Any other differences between the two?

I'm good with black, but can see that I better get on it.

Thanks.

Bob

Can anyone verify from first-hand experience that the SGL-21's do NOT blow out the case neck of fired brass creating a ring, like the Saiga sporters do? I thought these things were built up from Saigas and that every x39 Saiga had the Russian gun-control feature that results in a ring around the case neck. Do they rebarrel these guns as part of the build??

The neck ring about precludes reloading for Saiga x39s. My justification for an SGL-21 is being able to reload for it.

Thanks for any help.

Bob

Edited by 555JM

Can anyone verify from first-hand experience that the SGL-21's do NOT blow out the case neck of fired brass creating a ring, like the Saiga sporters do? I thought these things were built up from Saigas and that every x39 Saiga had the Russian gun-control feature that results in a ring around the case neck. Do they rebarrel these guns as part of the build??

The neck ring about precludes reloading for Saiga x39s. My justification for an SGL-21 is being able to reload for it.

Thanks for any help.

Bob

Yes, I can confirm that SGL20 and SGL21 rifles do not have that bullshit Russian "gun control feature". I posted several months ago with a pic in the thread covering this issue. I own a '20 and a '21. These rifles have Izhmash military barrels/chambers, (unlike the standard "sporter" Saiga 7.62x39 rifles). They do not "step" fired cartridge necks.

They are much more friendly to someone looking to reload.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

IMPORTANT: K-Var increased their SGL-21 prices today. Colored units to raise to $529...

Atlantic hadn't bumped it yet, at least not as of an hour ago when I ordered a Plum.

Yeah but Atlantic charges you a %3 credit card fee and more for shipping. Even with the bump it is still probably cheaper to go with K-Var.

• Like 2

IMPORTANT: K-Var increased their SGL-21 prices today. Colored units to raise to $529...

Atlantic hadn't bumped it yet, at least not as of an hour ago when I ordered a Plum.

Yeah but Atlantic charges you a %3 credit card fee and more for shipping. Even with the bump it is still probably cheaper to go with K-Var.

OTD including FFL fees on my end, $555.(I'm sending a Certified Money Order - no 3% charge) Not bad in my book. Of course, If I had beef with someone....

Usually, I just go with the math. :dollar:

OTD including FFL fees on my end, $555.(I'm sending a Certified Money Order - no 3% charge) Not bad in my book. Of course, If I had beef with someone....

k-var = $529+18 shipping =$547 + I got to use my credit card...

atlantic = "$555 OTD" + You have to run around securing a money order...

not sure what math you're using, but I prefer "old math" :haha:

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 3

k-var = $529+18 shipping =$547 + I got to use my credit card...

atlantic = "$555 OTD" + You have to run around securing a money order...

not sure what math you're using, but I prefer "old math" :haha:

You got to back out my $30 FFL fee. I barely have a drivers license. :devil:

$505 + $20 shipping = $525. I work beside my bank and have a stamp machine at work. :zorro:

Honestly, it's $17 dollars. I spent that at lunch today, either is still a smoking deal. :super:

Edited by iyaoyas98

Im stuck between buying a SGL21-61 ($540.00 including shipping and FFL), or buying a nice Aimpoint Micro to go one one of the other half dozen AK's I already own. Or more mags and ammo. Etc...

I have the K-var link open on another tab, info filled in, just having trouble "pulling the trigger"

Im stuck between buying a SGL21-61 ($540.00 including shipping and FFL), or buying a nice Aimpoint Micro to go one one of the other half dozen AK's I already own. Or more mags and ammo. Etc...

I have the K-var link open on another tab, info filled in, just having trouble "pulling the trigger"

The way I look at it, Aimpoint scopes will be the same price in a month as they are now. One can not say the same of SGL21s.

I'd buy a SGL21 now if I were you. Chances are they won't be available this cheapy again anytime soon, (if ever).

• Like 1

I agree with Post-Apocalyptic, these things will likely go back up into the $575-675 range soon. If your on the fence, buy now and buy the aimpoint later. If you are satisfied with you 1/2 dozen rifles, than get the aimpoint.

I ended up buying a slr-106fr, as I allready have to many 7.62 saigas, don't know if you're in the same boat. So to each their own. :haha:

• Like 1

If I understand right. These are just russian Saigas converted by Arsenal for $150? Does anyone do a simple conversion for the Saiga 12 for $150? I just want a simple pg conversion, no extras. I can only find them decked out for $1000 or more on backorder.

Edited by saigamaui

If I understand right. These are just russian Saigas converted by Arsenal for $150? Does anyone do a simple conversion for the Saiga 12 for $150? I just want a simple pg conversion, no extras. I can only find them decked out for $1000 or more on backorder.

If you want simple as in no change to handguard and no muzzle device, then you could do it for less than 150 yourself.

Buttstock = 30, Trigger = 30, Pistol grip = 10, Pistol Grip nut = 8, bullet guide = 30. $108. You could perhaps do even better on price than that. If you've got a power drill and a dremel you're set as far as tools. You'll have to buy a die handle at lowe's or HD for like $5 bucks as well. And you're good to go.

You could also fabricate your own feed ramp with a dremel, a file, a hand drill, and a piece of flat steel if you don't want to buy Dinzag's bullet guide.

But no you can't find someone to do it for you for $150.

That is partially correct, the SGL21's have a Russian FSB, Russian Lug and a few other Russian parts that RAA saigas do not have when they enter the country.

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 1

They're more than just standard Saiga 7.62x39 rifles restored by Arsenal. They have quite a few more military parts and features. One of the most significant, (imo), and overlooked difference is that Legion Saigas, (one of which is the SGL21), have military barrels/chambers and therefore do not "step" cartridge necks as standard "sporter" (RAAC imported), Saiga rifles do.

If want your rifle to have as many correct military features and parts as possible, (as most of us do), buy a SGL21. Imo they are a steal at ~$500.

• Like 1

Hey, Post-Apoc; what's the difference between the SGL-20 and the SGL-21? You have both, don't you? I couldn't determine the difference from the K-var site. I'm aware that the 20's are not available any longer.

Bob

Well....Heck!! ...and then some! Knew it was too good to be true.

In this morning's Email:

"Sales Order "cancelled" from K-VAR Corp" :o

"Unfortunately, we do not ship rifles to customers with billing and/or shipping addresses in the state of New York. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for your business - we appreciate it very much."

:ded:

Looks like that SGL21 will be going to someone else. Rats! :angry2:

Well...on to plan B: Ruger P345. :super:

Bob

They're more than just standard Saiga 7.62x39 rifles restored by Arsenal. They have quite a few more military parts and features. One of the most significant, (imo), and overlooked difference is that Legion Saigas, (one of which is the SGL21), have military barrels/chambers and therefore do not "step" cartridge necks as standard "sporter" (RAAC imported), Saiga rifles do.

If want your rifle to have as many correct military features and parts as possible, (as most of us do), buy a SGL21. Imo they are a steal at ~$500.

Izhmash use AKM barrel's on saiga's.

What are you saying.. that the barrels used to construct Saigas are several years old or..? :unsure:

Regardless, do you have any confirmation of this that you could link?

Ill be picking one up soon. I didnt know they can accept any AK Double stack mil spec!!! Good to know before buying!! Time to stock pile 7.62 and mags!!

Yep. No mods whatsoever required for mil-spec performance, (besides selective fire <_< ). For ~$500, you can not beat that deal. Good news is that a lot of combloc steel 30-rounders are pretty cheap atm, and Russian 7.62 ammo is also currently decently priced. :up:

• Like 1

That is incorrect. They use the 100 series barrels. The 103 is an updated AKM, so maybe that is where you got confused.

• Like 1

What are you saying.. that the barrels used to construct Saigas are several years old or..? :unsure:

Regardless, do you have any confirmation of this that you could link?

No I'am saying that that barrel on the saiga is just as good as your Arsenal "mil spec" barrel.

kalashnikov.guns.ru X39