Targets...Bowling Pins

For those of you who are always looking for something different to shoot I was down at Goodwill this morning and one thing let to another and I found this guy who has hundreds of bowling pins for sale. Price is reasonable $18 for 10 pins (or $2 a pin if you buy only a couple) shipping is tough...just remember the post office gets that money...shipping was $30 for my 10 pins. If you have never shot bowling pins your in for a treat. You can see them drop way out there and the plastic coated wood takes a beating. They splinter eventually after you shoot the shit out of them but they last an awfull long time....better then paper targets and water jugs. Anyway the guy's name is Jay and his email is Justj at mail.com He takes paypal or ????

Sorry guys I meant to post this in the general discussion section

Edited by TO THE FLOOR

bowling pins are great to shoot. I have seen them soak up .300MAG rds.with nothing more than a small spot were the bullet hit. One thing that will kill them, water. Don't leave them out in the rain. I bought 100 of them at a local bowling alley a few years ago for $1.00 a piece.

Edited by Banshee

Can you pm me the email exacly I don't think I'm putting it in right I usta be able to get old pins from the boaling ally for 1$ each but no more great to shoot long distance set them up and play shooting games x amount of points for diff pins distance shot area use your imagination hehe

I've shot chopped sections of 4X4 too. It works better than bowling pins for birdshot. 7-1/2 bird shot bounces right off the bowling pins. I've felt some hit my jacket as a guy was running through a 3 gun demo. I remember thinking it would be rather uncomfortable if hit in the face...

I've shot chopped sections of 4X4 too. It works better than bowling pins for birdshot. 7-1/2 bird shot bounces right off the bowling pins. I've felt some hit my jacket as a guy was running through a 3 gun demo. I remember thinking it would be rather uncomfortable if hit in the face...

Yeah, I've been hit in the face/neck with birdshot ricochets plenty of times when shooting, (at close range), old office equipment like printers and monitors. It usually just annoys but occasionally really hurts. :beaten:

That said, bowling pins are great for center-fire rifle/pistol ammo.. or slugs. They take a real beating before falling apart.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

One of my favorite shooting activities was the "bowling pin" shoot. The Heidelberg Rod & Gun Club would host it.

6 bowling pins on a table at 20 yards or so.

Who can get them OFF the table the fastest? Your first load had to be 5 rounds, wether revolver or semi. The way I would win is to knock a pin on its side, then hit an end to spin-hit other pins. Ah, my Browning Hi-power! If you had to reload, you wouldn't have a chance!

How to adapt this to the Saiga?

One of my favorite shooting activities was the "bowling pin" shoot. The Heidelberg Rod & Gun Club would host it.

6 bowling pins on a table at 20 yards or so.

Who can get them OFF the table the fastest? Your first load had to be 5 rounds, wether revolver or semi. The way I would win is to knock a pin on its side, then hit an end to spin-hit other pins. Ah, my Browning Hi-power! If you had to reload, you wouldn't have a chance!

How to adapt this to the Saiga?

Greatly increase the number of pins? :unsure: Obviously ~6 bowling pins are extremely easy to knock down using any Saiga rifle or Saiga shotgun.

I just emailed the guy to see if I can buy ~10 pins or so. They really are pretty damn tough and I'd like to use em as targets for my 7.62x39.

... I just emailed the guy to see if I can buy ~10 pins or so. They really are pretty damn tough and I'd like to use em as targets for my 7.62x39.

Save your Money! Bowling Alleys throw them away after a while; ask and they will most likely give you some.

• Like 1

... I just emailed the guy to see if I can buy ~10 pins or so. They really are pretty damn tough and I'd like to use em as targets for my 7.62x39.

Save your Money! Bowling Alleys throw them away after a while; ask and they will most likely give you some.

Thanks for the tip, Azrial. +1. I just happen to know a guy who works at the local alley. He ought to be able to get me some pins.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Azrial is right, they might give them away if there isn't a club already buying them from them.

Also, don't use birdshot on pins. Just about everything else is kosher, but birdshot ricochets like crazy off of them.

Oh and no, I don't have the "ruling" on that. I'm going by written law, which states what is illegal, not what is legal. In CA they say that skeletons are pistol grips, but not in CT.

Edited by Twinsen

I second what Hobbyshooter said.Do NOT shoot them with anything lighter than #4 bird shit.Anything light than that won't embed itself in the coating and will ricochet off.One of my friends caught a pellt between the eyes from bowling pins that were about 20 yards away.It cut him surprisingly bad.

I second what Hobbyshooter said.Do NOT shoot them with anything lighter than #4 bird shit.Anything light than that won't embed itself in the coating and will ricochet off.One of my friends caught a pellt between the eyes from bowling pins that were about 20 yards away.It cut him surprisingly bad.

ah buckshot bowling.....yee haw...

yeh, dont shoot them with pistol rounds either.

What??? That's all we use to shoot with pistol, 9mm, 22 and 45...it's all the range had in Colorado.

As I said "I meant to post this in the general discussion section" and "you can see them fall way out there" because they are great for rifle and pistol.

The only time I have shot them with the S12 was during break-in when I was shooting 1600+ FPS muzzle velocity BB's...Thanks for the richochet warning on bird shot.

As for ricochets, I have been splattered and seen guys cut this year at matches where they were shooting metal targets...seems that this may not be the safest sport out there.

As for ricochets, I have been splattered and seen guys cut this year at matches where they were shooting metal targets...seems that this may not be the safest sport out there.

It's safer than hunting with Dick Cheney. ZING! Anywhay, I found my bowling pins on my old neighbor's curb on heavy trash pickup day (which coincides with college move-out day) and have gotten quite a bit of use from them.