Warranty issue for this week.............

I am once again amazed by a poor quality conversion being sent in for warranty.

Even if you find someone to lowball a conversion, don't people expect the damn thing to work after they convert it for you ?

If you get someone to do a piece of crap conversion, it's not covered under warranty, unless it is a problem with the 2 port barrels. And then you better be honest with me before you get it in here.

Do you think I can't tell the difference between a 4 port and a 2 port gun.

I'm not doing this warranty work because I need the practice.

Look at this last one. A 4 port gun, with the mainspring half ground thru and the legs not properly positioned. This is not the gas problem it was sent in for. It has no "gas" problem.

I was so damn mad I couldn't get a decend pic. But you get the idea.028.gif

post-2142-12572647361544_thumb.jpg

Even if you find someone to lowball a conversion, don't people expect the damn thing to work after they convert it for you ?

If you get someone to do a piece of crap conversion, it's not covered under warranty, unless it is a problem with the 2 port barrels. And then you better be honest with me before you get it in here.

Look at this last one. A 4 port gun, with the mainspring half ground thru and the legs not properly positioned. This is not the gas problem it was sent in for. It has no "gas" problem.

Jeez...looks like a blind monkey with oven mitts tried to do that conversion. :haha:

The good news is they sent it to just the right people to sort him out. I mean, you'll still work on it for a fee right?

Tom, thats friggin silly stupid, right there.

let me give Vicki a call tomorrow, and Ill send you my spare digital camera that my stepmom used to use to take close up pictures of people's teeth with, so you can take EXTREME closeups of shit like this.

I remember when I did my FCG and hammer spring. Had the thing so backwards it would release the hammer when I pushed the trigger forward.... 009.gif After 3 attempts and looking the drawing on the little G2 sheet, I got er' done. 027.gif

Don't know if I gonna get the S-12 next or 5.45 version. But I intend on fully firing the S-12 (if i get it, b4 conversion).

I ain't/isn't going to be the next pic up here.... ph34r.gif

The biggest problem with this type of shit, is that Tom can fix the gun in a minute or two, and that is all the customer expects to pay for.

However, there was a pile of labor already spent discussing the problem with the customer prior to it being sent in, then labor receiving the package, unpackaging it, logging it into the gunsmith book, writing up a work order, then digging into it to find this. But wait....there's more! Now Tom gets to discuss the issue again with the customer, fix the issue, repack the gun, close out the work order, run the guy's credit card, print up a shipping label, log the gun back out of the books, and then get it back on the carrier outbound. And remember.....the customer thinks he should only be paying for that 2 minutes of Tom's time to fix the problem, and maybe the outbound freight charge. That's about 5% of the total cost of this fuck up.

Tony

The biggest problem with this type of shit, is that Tom can fix the gun in a minute or two, and that is all the cutomer expects to pay for.

However, there was a pile of labor already spent discussing the problem with the customer prior to it being sent in, then labor receiving the package, unpackaging it, logging it into the gunsmith book, writing up a work order, then digging into it to find this. But wait....there's more! Now Tom gets to discuss the issue again with the customer, fix the issue, repack the gun, close out the work order, run the guy's credit card, print up a shipping label, log the gun back out of the books, and then get it back on the carrier outbound. And remember.....the customer thinks he should only be paying for that 2 minutes of Tom's time to fix the problem, and maybe the outbound freight charge. That's about 5% of the total cost of this fuck up.

Tony

This is a problem I'm wrestling with and am having a little trouble coming up with a real solution.

1. Minimum work order of $50... (With all the above just swapping a FCG even if you provide parts $50 MIGHT cover my overhead)

2. If you send something in for Warranty work and what you list as the problem isn't the problem, you get billed for my overhead. (In this case I'd send this rifle back with a bill to cover shipping unpacking diagnosis and repacking even if he doesn't want me to correct his problem) Sort of like when you pay a doctor $200 for him to tell you you have a cold and not strep.

3. Eat it. (Figure that most of the time transactions go smooth and I can afford to eat the costs on dealing with the FUBAR crap sent my way on occasion.)

So far I'm on option 3. When possible I ask the customer to take pics of the issue and e-mail them to me BEFORE he ships it in for work. Most of the time I can call him back, tell him what the issue is IE. "Just stick the FCG pins back in the holes, bend the retaining clip like in pic #5 I sent you and pit the clip back in place." And he is able to fix his own gun.

Or I do the really easy rout and tell them If they wanna save $50-$100 to just come to forum.saiga-12.com and ask for help then fix it yourself.

kris - I dont understand your dilemna. planning on picking up some warranty contracts, are ya?

the shipping is probably more than 50 bucks both ways, and it was on RAAC's bill to get it to the shop. thats now Ms Vicki's time and now RAAC's time to get the billing cleared up, cause the RUSSIANS arent paying for that, after all.

What Tony said is an unfortunate truth to the whole thing.

Hell, my end on the warranty issue with these things, I get NOTHING for. I AM working for free when it comes to the warranty thing. I get maybe 3 calls a week or better about warranty issues, emails/PM are about 1-5 a week, and I get jack squat for it. Im not complaining, I want to help people out. But it is a few hours a week or more that I am working for free, not that anybody cares.

But I can say this - Tom and Vicki arent working for free on this.

There is no question here about what to do. It only a matter of "how much" the customer will have to pay for the repairs that didnt fall under warranty. The part that pissed Tom off was that the gun was sent in as if it had a gas issue, when it was obvious that the hammer wasnt dropping hard enough on the primer, or the trigger was having an isssue from the fucked up placement of the spring legs.

In the Computer/Network/IT world, it's standard to charge at least 1 hour labor.

Sometimes it's only a 5 minute fix, but we still charge for the full hour for on site visits.

In those 5 minute fix cases, I try to fill out the hour with checking other stuff.

It's very rare that we will "eat" any time. It happens sometimes, but it's rare.

I will answer quick simple e-mails and phone calls for free (usually). But if I have

to remote into the user's PC or even walk them through doing something technical,

they get billed .25 hour minimum.

Tom & Tony, you guys may want to charge a "per incident" support fee for support calls.

IMHO, any user caused damage to the gun (like that mainspring) voids the warranty,

and also therefore voids any coverage of shipping. The customer should pay all fees

including shipping and a labor charge in those cases.

• Like 1

IMHO, any user caused damage to the gun (like that mainspring) voids the warranty,

and also therefore voids any coverage of shipping. The customer should pay all fees

including shipping and a labor charge in those cases.

This one...