can't drill out spot weld

I'm working on my second conversion. I've removed all the trigger parts, and two of the trigger plate rivets. But I can't get through the spot weld. I've managed to drill a little dent into it, but I can't get any further. I recharged the drill and even bought new drill bits, thinking I had worn out the ones I had been using, but no dice.

This was easy last time. Any thoughts about what I need to do to get it to work this time? Should I attack it from the other side?

Thanks.

Jim

If you are recycling the trigger guard, it has been my experience that the cold chisel leaves the trigger guard in better shape than using drill bits. Just have to smooth (dremel) the spots on the bottom of the receiver.

At Nalioth's recommendation, I bought a small cold chisel set last month, but have yet to find any use for them. If the blade was not so thick, they would be very useful indeed. Perhaps I just got the wrong ones.

Most cold chisels are fairly thick to take the abuse. Just set it at the back of the rivet and give it a couple of shots with a decent ball pein. You may have to straighten the flats on the trigger guard a little once it comes off, but on my last one it popped right off after only a few taps.

Well, after trying the drill again, the dremel, and the cold chisel, all with no significant progress, I finally gave up and bent it back in order to drill out the last trigger plate rivet. Thankfully, I can shell out less than $30 to Carolina Shooters Supply for a nice new trigger guard.

Jim