hey everybody...my next firearm looking to get a FAL. what would you reccomend?? pros? cons?

thanks in advance.

spraypaint.

Howdy,

I've had a Century Arms made FAL for about 8yrs now and absolutely love it. Now, i'm sure i'll catch shit on liking anything Century Arms has made, but i've had ZERO failures with it (maybe 7-800 hundred rounds through it) and it actually shoots pretty decent. It's a mixture (i believe) of inch and metric parts, has a proper stock and pistol grip (not crappy thumbhole thing), and it takes metric mags only. Would love to have a DS ARms made FAL, but they are a little too pricey for me, and original FN specimens cost even more. Overall they are fairly long and a little heavy, but its a joy to shoot, much lighter kicking than an M1a, IMHO. You could even go the WECSOG route and put a fine one together yourself. Excellent battle-rifle overall.

Edited by glock22c

I just picked up another on Sat. That only makes two for me. I love STG-58 and the Austalian inch I just got shoots real nice. Gotta score a stock set from Ironwood for it.

They were and still are a very capable weapon. They came with everything but wheels to drag it around.

When SHTF, I will gladly sacrifice weight for weapon.

Edit for;

DSArms Enterprise

Century arms if built on an Imbel receiver

Earlier Century receivers had Fail to Feed problems due to mono-brow feed ramps instead of the correct gull wing shaped.

Edited by akastormi

I have three and like them all. In my opinion the FAL is the undisputed king of the battle rifles! They have the right balance of accuracy, reliability, power and ergonomics. My Stainless Steel DSA Para FAL is my go-to rifle!

• Like 1

FAL's are awesome, i've got 2. Ones a Hesse built (yes i know but haven't had any issues) and the other is a parts kit i had DSArms do. I would recommend doing it that way. Find a parts kit preferred with a whole barrel and buy a DSArms receiver. All you do is send them the receiver back and your barrel and bolt and carrier. They will install and head space and test fire. You get the complete upper back to you and then all you need to do is put the US made parts in the lower. It cost me $235 to do this and have them cut and rethread the barrel to a carbine. Came back in a nice case and works great.

post-9816-12581746140681_thumb.jpg

I would like to have a Springfield FAL SA-58, or a heavy barreled Israeli, Here is my STG-58. It's an Imbel receiver and an Austrian parts kit. I have all of the original parts, but this is the 922R compliance set up, with my EOTEC set up on it. It is a real shooter. My 1st time out, I put 60 rounds in a half dollar sized group at 50 yds with the Iron sights, and it still shoots this well after 1200 rds. This is my favorite .308 rifle to shoot, not as accurate as my M1A National match, but loaded up with South African Military ammo, it puts a smile on your face and holes exactly where you want them.

post-21372-12581761083326_thumb.jpg

post-21372-12581761240303_thumb.jpg

post-21372-12581761357018_thumb.jpg

Mullet Man..I...can't...stop....staring at skittles. mmmmmmm butt cheeks...

DSA makes the best "out of the box" in my opinion, but it'll cost you an arm and your right nut. However, FALs can be frankensteined together, if you will, to get exactly what you want with little to no issues (unlike an AR which is finnicky about what will work together well). If your like me you can't just buy something stock and leave it at that. My current favorite FAL (that I built, and I'm no rocket scientist) is built on an Armscorp upper receiver (Great receiver, hard to find) with an Israeli Heavy Barrel cut down to 18" with bipod removed and a falcon arms lower with a folding paratrooper stock on it. The Falcon Arms lower (www.falconarms.com) has 7 U.S. compliance parts as well as there Trigger Pull Reduction Kit, a nice added bonus. The last thing I want to do is rip off the stock and fit an endine recoil reducer in there to lighten the long days at the range. The recoil is suprisingly light compared to many FALs I've shot. I don't have optics on it yet, but I'll probaly go with an EOtech and a FTS 4x magnifier. I built this (at least to this point) for a grand total $1256.98 (this would probaly go for about $2500.00 on GB). All I'm saying is build your own, you'll save a ton of $ and you'll know that gun better then anyone. It's the most accurate semi auto I've ever owned as well as the most durable and dependable. The Heavy Barrel is key, if you can get your hands on one, buy it immediatley if you can afford to. I got lucky and got the receiver in an auction for $320.00 the barrel cost me $455.00 also a steal.

Oh yea by the way in my not so humble opinion, the FAL is the greatest battle rifle ever. LOL!

tell your friends!

• Like 1

I'm glad your FAL works and you're NOT using in desert warfare.

The Israeli army experienced problems with their FALs when sand got into the action and clogged things up.

I spoke to a few veterans of the 1967 and 73 wars. One of them, Hanoch told in detail about his experience with the FAL: He did not like the mainspring in the buttstock because once water got in there, it was hard to remove the water and it would rust the mainspring. Another problem was that the sand got into the action. The Australians added a sand channel for the sand to get out of their rifles. The last problem was that in those days drink bottles were glass which needed a bottle opener and many soldiers used their magazine lips to open the bottles due to desert thirst after fighting. That damaged the magazine lips and Israel Galili (who developed the Galil rifle) said that he saw some guys laying dead because the rifle jammed because they messed up the magazines. AK steel magazines are reinforced at the lips.

Hanoch also told me that in both wars he and his unit discarded their FALs and took AKs from the dead Egyptian soldiers and used them to fight with. Life magazine had a picture of an Israeli soldier swimming in the Suez Canal with a new AK in his hand after the 1967 war. This is why the Galil was adapted from the AK

From what Hanoch described the FALs were old and may have been worn out.

Edited by uzitiger

I have had several fals over the last 14 years and my favorite is my DSA Para Congo. Next would be my G1. I also have several Hk 91 series (SR9TC, SAR8, Hk 11 Vollmer, PTR G3k and an Hk91 ). I like the Hk (I got my first one in 1990) they are fun to shoot but for ease of handling and lugging around for miles it is hard to beat the FAL.

• Like 1

I'm glad your FAL works and you're NOT using in desert warfare.

The Israeli army experienced problems with their FALs when sand got into the action and clogged things up. ...

The Israeli FAL also has sand groves. The Israeli Army is notorious for poorly maintaining their firearms.

This rifle has proven itself around the world. It offers plenty of "real world" reliability. I mean for those of us that do not store our rifles filled with sand until the moment they are needed...

Almost any rifle that will hold better then 4 MOA on average will fail to function when filled with sand. Put enough sand into the comparably hollow interior of an AK and it will fail to shoot as well.

Who the hell tries to shoot a rifle like this? I have grown sick of this silly-assed argument when anyone points to an AK's shortcomings! The AK does not "do it all." About the only real advantage of an AK is the ability to deliver fire a definitive mid-range power round almost every time you pull the trigger. That's it. It every other area it is eclipsed by better designs.

However, that alone makes the AK a rifle worth owning and a good one to have in a fight, that does not make it better in every way then every other rifle ever built.

There is a thread over at the FALFILES called The Tale of Ol' Dirty. A Texas Legend where the owner has fired it over 15,000 rounds without cleaning. And it not only goes "bang" it wins matches.

The FAL is a much more expensive firearm then the AK, it requires more machinery to manafactuer then the AK, it requires more training to master its manual of arms then the AK, it is a more accurate rifle then the AK, however it is not as reliable as the AK under non-realistic conditions.

In my opinion however, and the opinion of many many others, is a better balanced rifle.

• Like 1

The FAL is the best rifle ever made. I have one in 21", I say you get a 21". What barrel length is the Israeli HBAR? Get that. I'd love to lay down fire with one of those for a while, on some evil steel plates. They were coming right at me!

The Israelis used the AR-15 after dropping the AK design, after dropping the FAL. I'm not going to take their word on any guns anytime soon. They've made some great ones, but man, FAL to AK?! AK to AR?! Somebody likes to drink.

I love this smiley!

fal.gif

Edited by Twinsen

Hahaha, nice plate. Sucka got served. That smilie is hosted over at falfiles, but I'm sure you noticed that when you copied it. No idea if they'll notice or care.

As for the OP's question, I've "heard" bad things about the Century ones and maybe once or twice heard bad things about the Imbel receivers. Stay away from aluminum receivers. I have a DSA and I am in love with it. I once saw an Israeli HBAR build by DSA, it was amazing. I've fired FN ones as well, but they go for a lot of money and are illegal in my state. I'd still have a hard time getting the FN over the DSA, as the DSA STG-58 uses a Steyr parts kit. Steyr... :wub:

FAL... best gun in Modern Warfare 2.

Oh wait real life right.

Rly?! I saw that it does the same damage as the AK and the AK is automatic... so I assumed it was terrible.

I havent played the multiplayer... I kinda can't since Im playing a hacked copy.

But in singleplayer the FAL with the shotgun attachment was the best.

You guys suck, I mean the guys that post the pics of the FAL, yea now I want one and have wanted one for a long time

but cant do right now :( , nice guns guys.

Yea the FAL they are good, they are bad , they are what ever you want to make them. I don't know I love the AK rifles but don't take me wrong

I love Fal's too. Do they work , yes they do and do it right.

Yea the Israeli military change the Fals for galils and the galils for M16, but the change from galil to M16 have to be more cause

when the USA give military help to Israel the money lent have to be spend in weapons made in the USA .

Now the change from Fal to Galil came as low maintenance of the AK type gun as you remember is some parts

of the glove when the shit hit high every one goes to war and FAL's as simple as they are require

more instruction and maintenance than any AK you can find.

Any way I will say, we can sit here and spend hours talking about why the Fal ,galil and ak are better or worst, but

it will came to the same thing more hours spend on nothing.

Well comes to a simple things if you get a FAL learn everything about the gun, maintain it

and learn how to regulate the gas port and you are set. Yes I love FAL and have use

them, no they were not mine as sad as I feel cause I love the gun.

OK if I wanted something good and have the money to buy it

I will go with

DSA

ARS

Or I will built it my self if know how and have the money for it, damn you guys. Now I am broke

but got me thinking.

Now you can get a Fal made by some one else but you take you chances, it can be the finest FAL you

have or can be the biggest piece of crap, cause was built my a drunken monkey.

Any way I am and old fool and don't know much about guns, just know that love the AK,s , GAlil,s Fal,s , and must of anything else

that I cam get my hands on, If any one want to flame me, feel free as I don't care.

Any way what ever way you go, enjoy the gun you get and hope you got some money save as .308 is not cheap

these days and like me if I go to shoot them is like cant stop and burn stuff like is no tomorrow.

My 2 cents of nonsense.

You guys have to forgive my broken english.

Edited by vjor

... maybe once or twice heard bad things about the Imbel receivers. Stay away from aluminum receivers. ...

FAL receivers in order of desirability.

1. Steyr, FN, Lithgow (really any OEM receiver)

2. DSA

3. Imbel

4. Entreprise Arms

5. Century Arms

6. Hess, Vulcan, WalMart etc... = Junk

Coonan made a good receiver, if you can find one, they are quite rare. It is hard to go wrong with the top three!

• Like 1

Uzitiger, I have used my FAL in "sandy" situations..... and yes your right an FAL from the late 60s/early 70s will probaly not function like one with components that are hmmmmm lets say 30/40 years newer. A new sand cut bolt pretty much solved your "sandy" problem. as far as the AK goes I don't really care for 'em, don't be hurt by that I just tend to take care of my weapons and would rather have one that hits the target where I point it, that's what you do with down time instead of playing cards. clean and practice more..... I've also learned over the years that if your going to carry something and trust your life with it you should probaly torture test it, which I do, extensivley, it's ended up costing me alot of money and every dollar was well spent to figure out what works.

Again the AK is a very dependable weapon also probaly the only one that you can "clean" by running motoroil through it. But thats not really how I roll if you will. I only own one AK and it's a pistol, it gets pulled out and shot every few months, and is probaly more exciting for the guy in the next shooting stall due to the concussive blast than me,it just dosn't really excite me as much as well, almost all my other guns.

As far as the water not draining out fast, falcon arms paratrooper lower must have a modification in it compared to the old school FAL lowers, it drains just fine, unless your shooting underwater......or in a flood...... pretty sure I won't be worrying about shooting if in those situations.

Azrial, for the record you kick ass in my book.