A Tale of Two Saigas

I am continuing to spread the Saiga addiction. My best friend liked my S-12 so much he decided to buy one for himself. I've spent enough time on this forum to know what's required to convert a S-12 so we decided to do it ourselves. We just finished her up today and thought I'd post some pictures of the girls.

Here are the build specs:

IZ-109

Tromix trigger guard (welded)

(pin holes welded)

SAW Grip

DPH skeleton stock

ACE folder Mechanism

Tapco G2 kit

Bolt/Carrier polished

Tromix vertical charging handle

Krebs sights

Kross handguard

JT Engineering Extended mag release

Gas ports enlarged to .101

Gunfixer plug

E-TAC Breacher brake

Barrel cut down to 16.225"

1350 degree silver soldered

Mine (on top) is an E-Tac custom build. While we were working on the conversion, I went ahead and cut the barrel down to 16.225" and enlarged the gas ports. Since I was at it, I also installed a JT Engineering magwell and E-Tac breacher brake. I have yet to shoot it so I'll give a range report soon.

We are pretty proud of our first attempt at a conversion.

Lee

post-6626-12595289918713_thumb.jpg

post-6626-12595290098504_thumb.jpg

post-6626-12595290255178_thumb.jpg

post-6626-12595290408043_thumb.jpg

Good looking guns. I'm sure you mean you cut the barrel down to 18.225" since the minimum legal length for a shotgun is 18" (unless it's a registered sbs).

One has to add the length of the muzzle break back in after it is permanently affixed to the gun.

Nice job guys!

WS

I figured I'd join the forum now that I have the required hardware.

Don't let Lee fool you, he had the vision and did most of the work. I supplied the parts and made sure his dog didn't eat the metal shavings :lol: Anyway, thanks for all of the kudos and I'm glad to be here. See you around the forums. BTW, my S-12 is the one with the Krebs AK style sites.

Ron

Edited by Furious

I figured I'd join the forum now that I have the required hardware.

Don't let Lee fool you, he had the vision and did most of the work. I supplied the parts and made sure his dog didn't eat the metal shavings :lol: Anyway, thanks for all of the Kudos and I'm glad to be here. See you around the forums. BTW, my S-12 is the one with the Krebs AK style sites.

Ron

Well Ho-lee Shee-it! Thats gotta be "Furious Ron" Furiato! Good to see you here man, welcome to the Forum! (The only Forum with a capital "F"! B) ) You'll find theres a ton of useful information on this board pertaining to not only the Saiga 12 but all AK pattern weapons in general. This is a great place with many extremely knowledgable individuals and business members. (And, of course, a couple of the requisite assholes! :rolleyes: )

BTW, this is Eric in case you didn't figure it out.

I know, I know. I finally drank the Kool-Aid. Up to this point, having your brother as my personal firearms adviser I didn't need no steenk-ing forums. However, now that I'm here I wouldn't have it any other way. I like the sense of community.

I hope all is well, and hopefully

I'm a man of few words as you can see by my post count but I must say WELL DONE!

I dont know wich one i like better. Between the two wich one has the best balance? and how much heaver is the one with the DPH stock and last but not least wich stock adapters are used. any way those are some good looking S12's

Just an update. We took them to the range today and they both seem to run pretty good on the Federal Waly-loads.

I am having a few random fail-to-feeds (first round only) when I charge the bolt. The bottom of the casing is snagging the lip of the chamber mouth.

Should I dress this down a bit with a file to smooth out the feeding?

Leland,

Your Saiga is perhaps the best looking Saiga I have ever seen. I mean that. I am strongly considering adding the "HK friendly" rails to mine. Magwells won't go on until Mike comes out with one for his DS mags, but that may be a while. E-tac are awesome and I'm not sure I'd have the guts to start hacking on mine, but you are obviously a pro. Kudos!