new to me saiga 12

Hi,

I just picked up a saiga 12 with 24 inch barrel stock config. I did not really know what a gem this shotgun is when i bought it, it just called to me and said buy me :wub: anyone out here converted the 24" i was looking through a lot of links and see mostly 19 and below. Are there any mods that I should not do with this model? are there any mods I should do? I think I am leaning for the tactical look

sorry for the million questions shotguns are new to me,

Hi,

I just picked up a saiga 12 with 24 inch barrel stock config. I did not really know what a gem this shotgun is when i bought it, it just called to me and said buy me :wub: anyone out here converted the 24" i was looking through a lot of links and see mostly 19 and below. Are there any mods that I should not do with this model? are there any mods I should do? I think I am leaning for the tactical look

sorry for the million questions shotguns are new to me,

We'll need a pic for a befor shot, and you should tell us where you live so we can attempt to not steer you into doing something you shouldn't.

He means you should tell us WHAT STATE you live in. (Also city if it is NYC or Chicago as they are particularly anal thanks to the mob stuff)

There are a lot of stupid laws pertaining to stock-types, pistol grips, magazine capacities & mag-locks.

Each state is different & you don't want to get into trouble.

He wasn't implying that you should tell us all exactly where you live. :ph34r:

We'll need a pic for a befor shot, and you should tell us where you live so we can attempt to not steer you into doing something you shouldn't.

He means you should tell us WHAT STATE you live in. (Also city if it is NYC or Chicago as they are particularly anal thanks to the mob stuff)

There are a lot of stupid laws pertaining to stock-types, pistol grips, magazine capacities & mag-locks.

Each state is different & you don't want to get into trouble.

He wasn't implying that you should tell us all exactly where you live. :ph34r:

thanks for clearing that up :ph34r:

budget is around 400 +/- for now (parts) I am planning to get a local gunsmith move the trigger and mount stock, I could probably do myself, but I am so busy this time of year,and want to play with new toy at range

ideas i have in looking at gallery is a folding stock, tactical look, would like the hand grip as well as the pistol grip, and would like new irons front and back now all this doesn't have to happen at once, but would like to know of any things I should or shouldn't do based on the barrel size. also the barrel is threaded.

When I bought this, I was ignorant to how nice the saiga can be, i was just intriged because it was a semi auto shotgun.

I am new to shotguns and would like to get an education on choosing a choke/muzzel break /flash hider and why i should choose what particular type

mostly i shoot pistols and my ar so I am not familiar with the nuances of shotguns

thanks

If you plan on cutting down your barrel length you'll need more than 2 holes to run low brass stuff. I believe the 24inchers only have 2 holes (usually). If you get a tax stamp and go below 14 (i think) you'll need to move the gas system back which is better handled by the professionals.

Sure, I can help, but I need to know your EXACT location(address and latitude/longitude coordinates), name, rank, credit card and social security #s. Oh wait, I can't help, but if you want to send me that info, then you probably shouldn't own a gun ;p

Special(err, Vitamin) K, 24"ers only have 2 gas ports?? I'm certainly no expert, but I haven't heard that before. Why would there be a different # of gas ports for a 24" barrel? Anybody know for sure? I'm sure there HAVE been some made with only 2 holes(sounds like a vodka special), but I wouldn't think that would be the norm?

The gas system is still in the same place so the round is in the barrel longer as it passes the gas ports producing more pressure so less ports are needed. Its the same reason that if you shorten the barrel you have to A. open up the ports B. drill additional ports or C. move the gas system back. The 2 hole thing isn't a guarantee as nothing is with this gun, just something to check out. IMHO if you want to convert a 24" and go to a smaller barrel, you'll want a professional to press the barrel off and do A, B, or C.

Welcome to the forum and to your new addiction. You just may not know it yet. LOL :beer:

I THINK the reason the longer barreled Saigas have 2 ports is that because the gas stays inside the barrel longer (longer "dwell time"), there's more time for the gas to get into the gas block. Shorter barrels have shorter dwell times and thus require the same amount of gas to get in there quicker, hence the larger number of ports.

Again, I might be wrong about this. But it's my understanding based on the different threads I've read over the last year or two.

While I like the sporterized version well enough, I think you'd be surprised how much better a Saiga is once it's restored to original configuration. The trigger feels better, the balance is better and it just feels better overall, IMO. I don't think PA has any restrictions in that regard, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you intend to get the barrel shortened, I'd have Cadiz Gun Works do it, since they're also the warranty people in the U.S. and can make sure it's running correctly. Also, adding some type of choke is said to help increase back pressure a little and should help get enough gas into the system. If you're wanting to shoot cheaper lightweight ammo, having a lighter recoil and mainspring would help too.

Getting a Gunfixer gas knob is something I recommend too. Even if your gun is working ok, being able to adjust settings by hand is a huge plus in my book.

Saigas are a bit like Harleys, there's a few things you can do to make sure it's running how you want, but then, a lot of it comes down to personal preference and how you intend to use it. Some folks like lots of tacticool attachments while other tend to be minimalists. I'm somewhere in between I think.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Corbin

*Edit* Vitamink beat me to the point about barrel length and gas pressure. D'Oh! :homer:

Edited by Corbin

Welcome to the forum and to your new addiction. You just may not know it yet. LOL :beer:

I THINK the reason the longer barreled Saigas have 2 ports is that because the gas stays inside the barrel longer (longer "dwell time"), there's more time for the gas to get into the gas block. Shorter barrels have shorter dwell times and thus require the same amount of gas to get in there quicker, hence the larger number of ports.

Again, I might be wrong about this. But it's my understanding based on the different threads I've read over the last year or two.

While I like the sporterized version well enough, I think you'd be surprised how much better a Saiga is once it's restored to original configuration. The trigger feels better, the balance is better and it just feels better overall, IMO. I don't think PA has any restrictions in that regard, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you intend to get the barrel shortened, I'd have Cadiz Gun Works do it, since they're also the warranty people in the U.S. and can make sure it's running correctly. Also, adding some type of choke is said to help increase back pressure a little and should help get enough gas into the system. If you're wanting to shoot cheaper lightweight ammo, having a lighter recoil and mainspring would help too.

Getting a Gunfixer gas knob is something I recommend too. Even if your gun is working ok, being able to adjust settings by hand is a huge plus in my book.

Saigas are a bit like Harleys, there's a few things you can do to make sure it's running how you want, but then, a lot of it comes down to personal preference and how you intend to use it. Some folks like lots of tacticool attachments while other tend to be minimalists. I'm somewhere in between I think.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Corbin

*Edit* Vitamink beat me to the point about barrel length and gas pressure. D'Oh! :homer:

thanks for all the advice

i do agree this is an addiction

things I have planned for the gun

gonna do the trigger kit

I am torn between a fixed adjustable and a folding skelaton stock

utg quad rail

and fromt hand hold

not sure what i want to do for muzzle either a flash hider or a just a cool looking thread protector

gonna leave bbl length alone it is just a pozer, not needed for tactical use

and I think I will add the gun fixr gas plug

I was taking to nathan at missippi arms about putting a package together

has any one dealt with him before. He was very nice, and helpful spending a lot of phone time with me going over a lot options, and why or why not I would need something.

any other suggestions?

as far as the quad rail goes...if you want a quad please don't buy the utg, go with the chaos extended quad, it's bad-ass and on sale i promise you wont be upset and you're s12 won't look silly. Nathan does an excellent job, you'll be in good hands.

as far as the quad rail goes...if you want a quad please don't buy the utg, go with the chaos extended quad, it's bad-ass and on sale i promise you wont be upset and you're s12 won't look silly. Nathan does an excellent job, you'll be in good hands.

If you get the UTG you will be perfectly happy with it, until you compare it to a Chaos! Then you will be heartsick that you could have gotten s much better US made part, for very little more.

shazzzam! oh and welcome to the forum... ha! i beat azrial too. thats 2 for ol' vitamin K

Hey! I run the official Welcome Wagon around here! :lolol:

Welcome to the board!

yeah, that blew my mind. You got caught slippin'. I'll pick up the slack though buddy :angel::haha: by the way, i flew into atlanta the other day to go to training in anniston alabama (old fort mcclelland) If you ever have to take any training out there don't go...the food is way too good. In one week everyone i was with gained between 7-15lbs.

yeah, that blew my mind. You got caught slippin'. I'll pick up the slack though buddy 018.gifnaaaa.gif by the way, i flew into atlanta the other day to go to training in anniston alabama (old fort mcclelland) If you ever have to take any training out there don't go...the food is way too good. In one week everyone i was with gained between 7-15lbs.

I have spent quite a few weeks there, but I always drive a bring my mountain bike and also run at night. Check out CMP while you are there!

do you have a link to a s-12 with it installed?

One of my issues is that I wanted to use AR style front sights, but did not want to weld, on hk sights, wanted to maybe use the rear, but most rails are too tall. I like eotech for a sight, but too pricey for limited use on a range pozer shotgun,

What would you suggest, as far as something for rear sights? I am open to suggestions , and am not married to the ar style raised front sights, just familiar with that style

I'm fairly close to Philadelphia. I live in Valley TWP, north of Coatesville.

I just converted the one on the bottom and would be happy to help you get yours done.

Is the one pictured on top the ace stock and is it folding? that is the one I think I really like the looks of, how comfortable is it to shoot?

Yes, it's an ACE SOCOM stock mated to an ACE folder mechanism. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. My only source of aggravation is that the ACE Stock lacks a QD mount that I like so much on almost all my other rifles.

Hi LelandEOD.

I like the look of the SOCOM stock too, but haven't owned one yet. I would think you'd be able to mount a QD sling stud to the buffer tube. If you wanted, you could even put a wooden dowel rod or something inside and have the wood screw stud tap into that. Seems like that would work anyway.

Just a thought.

Corbin

I just priced a basic buildup that included a Chaos quad with extended upper for less than $300, you should have no trouble staying under $400 for your whole build, you might as well spend that little bit extra and get a little more quality out of what your paying for. You'll thank yourself later down the road.

Edited by Nailbomb