psl hunting loads

I would steer clear of the heavy loads in the PSL. The rifle was NOT DESIGNED to shoot that weight of bullet. If you reload you can find MANY weights of bullets in the 125-150 grain range that will perform excellently for you. Remember... how many rounds will it take to sight in with heavy ball, just for those "few shots" I am sure the rifle can handle it for a little while, but why take a chance on damaging your rifle??

here are just a few...

http://www.grafs.com/metallic/930

You can see there is a WIDE variety of options available in a .311 bullet...

Now if you are NOT reloading... well... you will have to do some digging... I know there is some out there, but its very limited...

I would suggest you look into reloading if you want to get the most out of your rifle... Plus it is an enjoyable part of the shooting sport...

:smoke:

DEZ Arms makes adjustable AK gas blocks, including a .610" one that will fit PSL's. They're chunky and ugly, but it will let you shoot heavy bullets through your PSL without worry.

AK47AdjGasBlock.jpg

It'll take more than that to keep it from beating itself to death with heavy weight loads. . . .

Wrong.

If you reduce the gas so the bolt carrier moves at the same speed with heavy ball as it would normally with light ball... how much harder would the bolt carrier strike the rear trunnion?

Or if you shut the gas off completely, the bolt won't even cycle.

How does that equate to "beating itself to death", huh Nalioth?

Wrong.

If you reduce the gas so the bolt carrier moves at the same speed with heavy ball as it would normally with light ball... how much harder would the bolt carrier strike the rear trunnion?

Or if you shut the gas off completely, the bolt won't even cycle.

How does that equate to "beating itself to death", huh Nalioth?

. . . so how's that working out on your PSL?

Nalioth, do you mean to imply that the DEZ block can't be adjusted down enough to keep the bolt carrier speed under control when firing heavy ball ammo? 'Cause if that's what you're saying, I'm open to your insights. I don't own a DEZ block and (perhaps naively) assumed that it could be restricted enough to work. DEZ claims you can even shut the gas off completely, so it only follows that intermediate settings are also possible.

EDIT: Or maybe you're trying to say that the extra bolthead thrust from heavy ball is to blame for PSL damage? Clearly, it's not the culprit or we'd be seeind PSL's with wrecked bolt lugs and front trunnions, instead of battered rear trunnions. Anyway, just throwing this out as a possibility for why you seem to be opposed to adjustable PSL gas blocks. Cheers.

Edited by 3ae6ucb

It shoud have a gas plug like a sagia shot gun or svd.If I havent of did serches on this Ive would have used the 180gr thats for sale in gun shops.CA needed to say that in the manual! And I caled and said that. Joe blow buying this gun cuse its a cool gun in dear camp dont know about this,goes to waly world to get 200gr shells and herts him self,becuse that fact wasnt in the manual.then what? You have a shoter with a busted gun or a person that is hert!!! :angry2:

DEZ Arms makes adjustable AK gas blocks, including a .610" one that will fit PSL's. They're chunky and ugly, but it will let you shoot heavy bullets through your PSL without worry.

AK47AdjGasBlock.jpg

It'll take more than that to keep it from beating itself to death with heavy weight loads. . . .

sloppy sloppy sloppy

The gas tube adjustment is the perfect solution to the PSL problem. 3ae6ucb should be commended for

1: Bringing this to my attention and

2: Having an avatar that will be great to watch later.

:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

The gas tube adjustment is the perfect solution to the PSL problem.

I disagree.

You guys are not thinking this through.

If you change the pressure from the front end, how does the back end work with the changed pressure? Sporadic failure to unlock? Failure-to-eject? Failure-to-load?

IMHO, this adjustable abomination stands to create more problems than it actually solves.

Edited by nalioth

If you change the pressure from the front end, how does the back end work with the changed pressure? Sporadic failure to unlock? Failure-to-eject? Failure-to-load?

How is adjusting the pressure on the front end on a PSL different than adjusting the pressure on the front end of a S-12?

effectivly how does this change anything more than a gunfixer plug does?

Edited cuz we're not talking about a .308, LOL

Edited by Nailbomb

Well actually we're talking about 7.62x54R, but anyway...

The adjustable gas port is meant to give the same push that you'd normally have with light ball ammo. DPS ammo has greater dwell time in the barrel and provides a longer, harder pulse of gas. Restricting the gas port results in a comparable impulse to what you'd get from LPS ammo.

Nalioth, really, there are plenty of adjustable gas semiauto rifles that are adjustable specifically for this reason: to be able to shoot different weight bullets safely. I will admit that the DEZ block is one ugly looking chunk of metal though! :lol:

Nalioth, really, there are plenty of adjustable gas semiauto rifles that are adjustable specifically for this reason: to be able to shoot different weight bullets safely. I will admit that the DEZ block is one ugly looking chunk of metal though! :lol:

I am well aware of this.

Those rifles are designed from stem to stern to operate with adjustable levels of gas.

I disagree.

You guys are not thinking this through.

IMHO, this adjustable abomination stands to create more problems than it actually solves.

Nalioth, your argument gets less sloppy as I think about it more. But assuming one remembers to adjust the gas valve back to a larger opening with lighter loads you won't have the failure to load problem. I'd be curious to hear/see a field test on this one. Someone could figure out how much force is necessary to push the bolt carrier and bolt back and forth and compare it with the gas force generated by the heavy loads, than see if that same pressure would be an overkill or cause significant issues with the lighter loads. I don't own a PSL, so its going to have to be one of you losers who tests this.

Still this looks like a great solution. Maybe I don't have to spend 3K on a SVD/Tigr after all.....

I am well aware of this.

Those rifles are designed from stem to stern to operate with adjustable levels of gas.

OK. So, what is the PSL missing, other than an adjustable gas port? What other features or modifications does it lack, in your estimation?

OK. So, what is the PSL missing, other than an adjustable gas port? What other features or modifications does it lack, in your estimation?

My name isn't Mikhail Kalashnikov naaaa.gif

My point is: Just throwing a new part on a rifle that changes how it operates w/o thinking it out can only lead to unforeseen consequences. .

My point is: Just throwing a new part on a rifle that changes how it operates w/o thinking it out can only lead to unforeseen consequences. .

I know what you mean! attached is a pic of what happened after i changed out the FCG, Retainer, Mainspring, drilled and welded and otherwise molested my last saiga...

tsar-bomba-mushroom-cloud.jpg

Come on man, these are tinkerers guns! Its not a final product, its a platform.

I know what you mean! attached is a pic of what happened after i changed out the FCG, Retainer, Mainspring, drilled and welded and otherwise molested my last saiga...

tsar-bomba-mushroom-cloud.jpg

Come on man, these are tinkerers guns! Its not a final product, its a platform.

. . except that some aren't "tinkerers" and expect 100% functionality when they read about mods . . .

like I said,that should be in the manual.All it says and I quote{ the use of reloaded,re-manufactured,hand loaded or non standerd ammo may result in damage or injury or death to the shooter].It says nothing about hevy ammo or ammo ok to use other than factory ammo.you would think that a gun company putting out a product would say that,they dont.I called,e-mailed out of trying to get a strait anser from the inporter that would,should have known someone gona ask this at some point.what I got was a runaround from a fire arms company that cant anser a simple tech question about thir product!!!!!

I'll do an adjustable gas system PSL, but I don't think I will use that block...too ugly.....when I get this off the ground I'll post but it may be awhile as I have A LOT of projects in progress.

BTW....I have shot exclusively 203gr. Russian Extra ammo in one of my PSLs with sub-moa results and no additional wear or tear on the rifle. :ph34r:

I'll do an adjustable gas system PSL, but I don't think I will use that block...too ugly.....when I get this off the ground I'll post but it may be awhile as I have A LOT of projects in progress.

BTW....I have shot exclusively 203gr. Russian Extra ammo in one of my PSLs with sub-moa results and no additional wear or tear on the rifle. :ph34r:

Hmmm... see that's what makes me wonder. After reading reports of heavy ammo causing battered rear trunnions, I would not want to risk it in my PSL (assuming I had one, ha!)

Maybe those commercial 203 grain soft points are loaded light? I have fired Barnaul/Bear brand 203 grain soft points through my bolt actions, and despite it being a heavy bullet the recoil doesn't feel any worse than standard 148 LPS or 152 grain 7N1. The loads that REALLY pack a wallop are eastern bloc DPS (yellow tip heavy ball, 180 grains, meant for belt-fed PKM's) followed by Finnish D-166 (low drag boattail, 200 grain).

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a PSL on the way and have been asking a lot of questions, the shop I got to is heavy into C3 (and manufactures the Krinker Plinker kits) so I take a lot of what Ken says as end all. I was told pretty much what the above post states, that 180 and higher is strictly for machine guns, and due to the twist rate, that when heavy ball is shot in a PSL the pattern tends to open up (not to mention the damage to the rear trunion issue). I can see in general where there wouldn't be a problem using an adjustable gas block, but I'd like to confirm the twist rate theory. There's been several posts on damage heavy ball causes these guns, one on the AK Files right now looks to be pretty seriousl.

These guns were designed from the start to use light ball so why not stick with it? For those with Mosin's that shoot heavy ball and want to use the same round in both, does light ball perform poorly in the bolt gun?

For those with Mosin's that shoot heavy ball and want to use the same round in both, does light ball perform poorly in the bolt gun?

Depends on the gun. There's so much variation in quality of Mosin Nagant barrels, not to mention variable surplus ammo quality. Shorter barreled rifles such as M38's and M44's will produce a massive muzzle flash when shooting DPS. Those loads have slower powder and are meant for longer barrels, but aside from some extra soot on your spike bayonet it doesn't hurt anything.

• 1 year later...

im interested in the results of the gas block.in theory the ability to adjust the pressure to shoot various loads should work as far as how it cycles.kinda like the FAL and different gas plugs on the s-12.it would be a matter of getting it tuned in where you can find just where to set it for the paticular load you want to shoot.however,for me personally i would prefer to stick with the light ball surpluss as the gun and scope was intended for.that surpluss stuff has awsome penatration and if its knock down power for hunting you need then the privi soft point would be great.its 150grn which is DAMN close to the PSO callibrations and privi is a reputable manufacture.but in the instance of the zombie invasion looming in the future,if you were to come across some heavy ball 7.62x54R now you could keep shooting using the gas block.....or maybe just another product to market and sell.best of luck :smoke: