Has anyone used this ammo?

http://shop.peachstateguns.com/product.sc?productId=667&categoryId=97

Im needing to buy another 1k rounds at least. This is a great deal! But i have never shot it. I have only used wolf/brown bear/golden tiger I like all them and will use them anytime no hesitation. But i have not used this stuff and would like to know how it compares to these three.

http://shop.peachstateguns.com/product.sc?productId=667&categoryId=97

Im needing to buy another 1k rounds at least. This is a great deal! But i have never shot it. I have only used wolf/brown bear/golden tiger I like all them and will use them anytime no hesitation. But i have not used this stuff and would like to know how it compares to these three.

For that price you can try it out and give US a range report Chevyman. Looks like a smokin' deal.

WS

Well you can gripe about it buddy, but it doesn't change anything. Wish I could get decent 5.56 at .20 per round :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar:

Happy new year to you and yours! Be safe and go well...

WS

Ok this is my only other concern other than quality of ammo. I noticed it says Steel jacket. Now i have shot steel core, but never steel jacketed. Would that not be a little rough on the bore?

Seems like great zombie ammo011.gif , but im leery about everyday range shooting.

Opinions....

Well you can gripe about it buddy, but it doesn't change anything. Wish I could get decent 5.56 at .20 per round :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar:

I did more then gripe about it, I have bought up, a good supply, of 5.45x39 at $120-130 for 1080 rounds. I will not pay these inflated prices for ammo. I am putting together a upper for my M4 just for this. I may build up a Saiga in the caliber as well.

Happy new year to you and yours! Be safe and go well... WS

All the same! :D

Ok this is my only other concern other than quality of ammo. I noticed it says Steel jacket. Now i have shot steel core, but never steel jacketed. Would that not be a little rough on the bore?

Seems like great zombie ammo011.gif , but im leery about everyday range shooting.

Opinions....

I'd check that out with PSG. It's military ammo of Arab manufacture. Hard primers and misfires, FTF's would be a concern if I were buying. Maybe some of the vets on the forum could shed some light on Arab made 7.62 X 39.

HRM that is very interesting, the website i have been buying from the last few years labeled it as CJ guess ill no longer buy there lol. Doesnt matter found better prices anyways and they are out of stock so meh. Well my fault guess i should have read the box, hell i may have and just never though of it till now. Ill have to pull out my wolf when i get home and check it out.

Anyway my main concern is quality Ill just have to try it out and see. Wish they had 2k packs in stock000.gif

Edited by chevyman097

Well it was driving me crazy so i went and looked, the wolf/gt my other vendor did have in stock was listed as bi-metal jackets. Who knows what it used to be listed as now that i think back i dont even remember. Anyway i was getting them from jgsales wich has become a bit higher then other vendors and has left stuff out of item descriptions in the past.

But I was under inpression that the BMJs where a copper/steel combination. And isnt actually solid steel jacket. Now im not a metallurgist lol so hey correct me if im wrong. But also these from georgia arms may be the same and im just thinking solid steel jacket because the way it is described. Not that it really matters i guess but now im just curious.

peach state is only 4 bucks more so ill prolly just pick it up from them in a few days to wait and see if anyone has reviews on the quality of this ammo.

Id still like to know though, if anyone knows. If this is actually a steel jacket or a BmJ.

Edited by chevyman097

Egyptian ammo is dirty... real dirty. I would stay away. HOWEVER: not much egyptian ammunition has been imported compared to Russian, Serbian etc, so it might be a nice rare ammo to have.

Chevyman:> The best Zombie ammo, is the ammo that goes bang every time... This ammo does not fit that criteria. The Yugo brass that is available for the same price is the best surplus ammo available. I would buy it were I you.

:smoke:

Egyptian ammo is dirty... real dirty. I would stay away. HOWEVER: not much egyptian ammunition has been imported compared to Russian, Serbian etc, so it might be a nice rare ammo to have.

Chevyman:> The best Zombie ammo, is the ammo that goes bang every time... This ammo does not fit that criteria. The Yugo brass that is available for the same price is the best surplus ammo available. I would buy it were I you.

000.gif

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt the yugo corrosive...I know i know before anyone says all you have to do is clean it well. But its just my personal prefrence id rather buy the russian non corrosive.

and..thankyou for the insight into this ammo.

Edited by chevyman097

000.gif

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt the yugo corrosive...I know i know before anyone says all you have to do is clean it well. But its just my personal prefrence id rather buy the russian non corrosive.

and..thankyou for the insight into this ammo.

Yes it is corrosive, but so is the Egyptian. If you are going with the Russian stuff go with the "Bear brands" (anything from the Barnaul facility) or the stuff coming out of Ulyanovsk. Stay away from the Tula built rounds (wolf black box).

[EDIT] I forgot about Golden Tiger (vympel factory) which is kick ass as well!

[FURTHER EDIT] Wolf Military Classic is made at Ulyanovsk and is worth buying. BUT STAY AWAY FROM WOLF BLACK BOX AND TULA WHITE BOX.

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 1

Thanks thats good to know because peach state has that listed as non corrosive! I do usually stick to the bears or golder tiger, ive had the best results with them. Ill try some of the Ulyanovsk somtime too.

I also answered my own question. As far as the bi-metal and the steel jacket difference i dont know if they just have that listed wrong too or not. But ive looked into it myself so i did not know, i just took what was explained to me and went on my way. Prime example allways check for yourself. But im sure most everyone here is knowledgeable about most things and prolly allready knows..if there is anyone that does here it is. The Bi-metal is just a steel jacket with copper plated. I thought is was actually a mixture of copper/steel to get a softer jacket. meh ive never cared myself. Just got me thinking when i saw peach had this listed as steel. <<totally a minus 1 for me if im holding up the idiot sign, ive just never cared long as it went bang till i saw that listed as steel. like i said im not metallurgist lmao!

Im still curious though does anyone know if this ammo is bi-metal or actually a full steel jacket? Never seen a plain steel jacketed slug, maybe just because ive allways stuck to bb/wolf/gt.

Ya I really like the Golden tiger myself but it is a bit higher than the others usually.

Edited by chevyman097

Ya i just found this

-GMCS Jacket (Gilding Metal Copper Steel) is typical of US Military ammunition, its a copper alloy that has a small amount of steel in it.

- Bi-Metal Jacket, this is the one you want to avoid at your range. Alot of imported ammo makes use of the bi-metal jacket, which is nothing more than a steel jacket that has been copper plated. Wolf, Sellier & Bellot, Barnaul, and a few others are all bi-metal ammo.

Whoever misinformed me i guess was talking about the gmcs - because thats what i had in mind. Anyways like i said i really just never cared heh ive been buying ammo for years and never have i seen it advertised as steel jacket, allways bmj only reason i decided to look. In other words it is in fact a bmj, not a steel jacket.

Edited by chevyman097

whats wrong with Wolf black box? I have used it for YEARS with NEVER any problems...

That is incorrect, you meant to say: "You Thought you never had any problems". :haha: Accuracy and consistency of their product is the worst coming out of Russia.

Here is a good thread on it over at HR:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=483334

Just do a google on Wolf Black Box or Tula. there are a couple guys who did field testing of all the different Russian manufacturers, Ill look for the thread and post it for you as time permits. I would also do a test for yourself and see the difference.

Edited by bigsal

Meh ill just end up getting some more GT from jg I love that stuff anyways, Im just really dissappointed that ammo was way off base of description. Thats why i asked. I have been looking around this afternoon and i have read severeal things about the wolf being way less accurate by 2-3 inch diff in grouping than the GT and BB. But i guess for just spraying and plinting it would be ok.....allthough the GT is pretty much the same price.

Ill stick with my GT

Opinions....

The Kalashnikov was designed to handle steel-cased ammo. It can handle it.

I read somewhere that those who primarily shoot with steel may have extraction problems when switching to brass. Any veterans wanna weigh in on here?

EDIT - Misread the post. Still working on first cup of coffee. Bi-metal jacketed ammo is steel jacketed (with a thin layer of copper for improved feeding). I've never seen strictly steel jacketed rounds without the copper wash or plating. Does it even exist?

Can someone answer my question about using steel-cased, then switching to brass-cased x39? I've read there could be extraction problems. B.S. or not?

Edited by Kevin in Texas

Thats kinda what i was wondering, but i have found nothing to indicate there is any plain steel jackets out there.

....I need to stock up on some more steel core..all this ammo talk got me to thinkin, my stocks are getting low

Edited by chevyman097

I dunno bigsal... just sounds to me like you put too much faith in what "Kurt D" had to say...

I have SHOT black box for YEARS... I can get 10 rounds under 2 inches with irons at 50 yards and appx 4" groups with 10 rounds at 100 yards with ANY of my AK's with it... and I can put ragged one hole groups at 100 yards out of the PSL with the X54 flavor...

If thats not good enough for Kurt... well I think Kurt expects too much out of his AK's...

Cause all that was good enough for me... and to be honest, I NEVER had a round that didnt go BOOM!

But all that is just INDY's opinion... which doesnt necessarily match Kurt D's opinion... :up:

I dunno bigsal... just sounds to me like you put too much faith in what "Kurt D" had to say...

I have SHOT black box for YEARS... I can get 10 rounds under 2 inches with irons at 50 yards and appx 4" groups with 10 rounds at 100 yards with ANY of my AK's with it... and I can put ragged one hole groups at 100 yards out of the PSL with the X54 flavor...

If thats not good enough for Kurt... well I think Kurt expects too much out of his AK's...

Cause all that was good enough for me... and to be honest, I NEVER had a round that didnt go BOOM!

But all that is just INDY's opinion... which doesnt necessarily match Kurt D's opinion... :up:

Far be it from me to argue with someone who has super moderator powers, but the only wolf I will use is MC. I have had FTF with black box back in the day while running my SKS. I don't like to repeat bad experiences. Lots of folks have had mixed results with the tula based junk and while you *MAY* have had good luck with it, it is likely just an anomaly. :haha:

i've got some of that Tula, it is Wolf cased.

i wish i had a camera that'd get good close up pics. one of the rounds is missing a huge chunk out of the neck of the case. brand new right out of the box like that. i'm just glad i noticed it while i was loading my mags up!

i stuck my dial calipers on the bullet, measured out to .306. seems a little on the small side to me? this was still in the case, but right at the neck. shouldnt it be a lil bigger then that?

also, the Tula F'N stinks compared to the Golden Tiger.

• Like 1

That Egyptian ammo in the OP is probably the worst 7.62x39mm on the market. I saw repeated stuck casings in a person's otherwise reliable rifle, lots of low power 'pops' (squibs-obstruction?-scary) and plumes of smoke that could have made for a fine civil war re-enactment. Maybe the quality varies, but I wouldn't risk it, based on what I saw.