a few observations from a neophite ...

Well, when I first got my S-12 I had a few issues and many of you advised me and it helped. I had a problem chambering rounds and the bolt would often stick. I got that issue cleared up and I will share with you what I did to "smooth things out".

I noticed that as the bolt tried to turn and enter the reciever base on closure, it sometimes stuck. A old "smithy" advised me to lube up the bolt and reciever contact area with valve lapping compound and work the bolt back and forth several hundred times. Originally, I laughed but I had to do something so that's what I did. The stuff was like toothpaste but it worked. Originally, it made the bolt work harder and stiffer, eventually it loosened up as some of the rough edges got smoothed out. I cleaned everything up and shot it and I did notice a increase in smoothness of the bolt and no cycling problems. Now I am ready to do the mod.

Here are a few observations ... well, that "gunfixer" plug is a DUD. It did not help at all. I got a twister puck installed and it works the same as the factory one as far as I can tell. The hammer ... now that is THE LARGEST drag item on the bolt. I am thinking that 1/34th of the surface could be removed and the hammer then polished. THis would greatly reduce drag on the bolt. Any of you done this?

Psyched to do the mod and plan to get at it next weekend.

• Like 3

Gunfixer's plug is a "dud"?

Sometimes you should actually shoot enough differing loads so you don't make yourself look like even more of a neophite.

In regard to the puck, most people replace it just to load up on compliance parts.

Edited by headshot
  • Like 1

Gunfixr's plug should come STOCK! I can shoot a very wide variety of loads from the lightest of target loads to Winchester's mammoth 3" mag slugs >1700FPS through my Tromix and tailor the gas to properly cycle the action on each one without beating the shit out of my gun or short-cycling, something that I couldn't accomplish with the original plug.

Tretpflyr, give things a chance before you pop off. If you have a question, ASK someone on here. Chances are, one of us has had the same issue and resolved it.

TROMIX and Gunfixr both post on here, as do MDARMS and many other Saiga12 custom shops. The knowledge base on here is HUGE!

Oh, and thanks for the tip on valve lapping compound. It'll be useful on some of my other projects!

My next project is repairing the wrist on my new/old 10GA double!

Like the others said, use the plug more with a variety of ammo. I think you'll see how nice it is with more use. I love the fact that it's quicker to change the gas setting than with the factory plug. And the whole not-beating-the-shit-out-of-my-rear-trunion-with-magnum-loads is nice too.

And BTW guys, not to be a dick, but it's spelled noephyte.

Gunfixr's plug should come STOCK! I can shoot a very wide variety of loads from the lightest of target loads to Winchester's mammoth 3" mag slugs >1700FPS through my Tromix and tailor the gas to properly cycle the action on each one without beating the shit out of my gun or short-cycling, something that I couldn't accomplish with the original plug.

Tretpflyr, give things a chance before you pop off. If you have a question, ASK someone on here. Chances are, one of us has had the same issue and resolved it.

TROMIX and Gunfixr both post on here, as do MDARMS and many other Saiga12 custom shops. The knowledge base on here is HUGE!

Oh, and thanks for the tip on valve lapping compound. It'll be useful on some of my other projects!

My next project is repairing the wrist on my new/old 10GA double!

+1 on what he said. Also I find more use out of gunfixer's plug on my over gassed 4 port Saiga12 than compared to someone who has maybe a 2 port saiga. Definitely an upgrade to the OEM plug on any saiga since its hand adjustable. Being able to turn down the gas to keep the bolt from smacking the heck outa the reciever is also a big plus.

...And BTW guys, not to be a dick, but it's spelled noephyte.

Is it? I thought it was spelled "neophyte". :haha:

Don't neophytes need to register with family watchdog or somthin'?

...And BTW guys, not to be a dick, but it's spelled noephyte.

Is it? I thought it was spelled "neophyte". :haha:

HA! :lolol: Fucking-a man! :lolol: Shit, you're right! :lolol: I've got to laugh at myself for that one. My only defense is that I was sick and going on very little sleep.

But other than that . . .