SAIGA 12 WONT EJECT

I recently bought a Saiga 12. As most it would'nt eject but every 3rd or 4th shell. I'm shooting Federal light loads. So I removed the gas block and drilled out the gas holes in the barrel, one to .125 the other two to .113. Installed the gun fixers gas adjuster plug, put in a Tapco piston, welded up the gas hole in the side of the gas block. Also made the hole in the gas block bigger so it wasn't covering up any of the 3 gas holes in the barrel. And last polished the bottom of the bolt and the rails the bolt slides along. And guess what it still wouldn't eject. I read somewhere that someone changed the bolt spring to a lighter one. Does anyone know what spring that would be or what would work.

I recently bought a Saiga 12. As most it would'nt eject but every 3rd or 4th shell. I'm shooting Federal light loads. So I removed the gas block and drilled out the gas holes in the barrel, one to .125 the other two to .113. Installed the gun fixers gas adjuster plug, put in a Tapco piston, welded up the gas hole in the side of the gas block. Also made the hole in the gas block bigger so it wasn't covering up any of the 3 gas holes in the barrel. And last polished the bottom of the bolt and the rails the bolt slides along. And guess what it still wouldn't eject. I read somewhere that someone changed the bolt spring to a lighter one. Does anyone know what spring that would be or what would work.

Wow!!! You completely voided the warranty over Federal light loads when it clearly states all over this site to break in the gun with several 100 rounds of 0 or 00 buck. I suggest you spend a few hours reading this site before you make any more changes.

GL

• Like 1

With all of that porting you should have enough gas unless there is something wrong with your puck, either binding, or too small.

Do make sure your extractor isn't binding.

Here's the spring you seek:

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-ALL-SAIGA-PARTS/Categories

Also are you using the factory Russian 5 round mag to test with?

If you are getting Failure to feeds also, that part could be a mag issue.

At any rate, all hope is not lost. Even if you did indeed void the warranty. Don't listen to the guys that call AAA to change their flat tires, they think just because they can't do something they think it takes a PHD to do it.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make these run, or a magic wand.

Personally, I broke mine in with a bunch of #6 bird shot.

I have the factory spring & the federal # 6 1oz birdshot cycles fine. Sometimes it needs a mag to warm up, but then it rocks, maybe it's the parts expansion from the heat that seals it up better, but make sure you shoot at least a few mags & see if it gets in the grove before you say it doesn't work.

BTW, how does it handle high brass?

Welcome to the forum! :up:

Edit: I deleted 1/2 my post before I posted it last night apparently.

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 1

Well you fucked it up good I'll say that.

Which TAPCO piston did you use? The one that screws on the bolt carrier? If so you wasted your $$. Get a dished gas puck as sold by vendors here.

Put the hole back where you welded it up, it's there for a reason.

Is the gun converted? If so the hammer may be dragging on the bolt carrier in spite of your polishing it the contour may be wrong.

Did it shoot OK before it was converted IF it was converted to pistol grip style?

The SAIGA-12 was not designed to reliably shoot lighter/under 1 Oz. shot. Some longer barreled Saigas MIGHT do so but in any case it's not recommended.

Edited by Etek

Welcome to the forum Shanea. :beer:

As a couple folks already mentioned, if you haven't broken it in yet, do so. The hole you welded up is not meant to bleed out hot gas so much as to let the air behind the puck come out so as not to create an "air buffer". At least, that's what I've heard from the more knowledgeable Saiga folks here.

I wouldn't do any more mods until it's shot a couple hundred rounds.

Corbin