Muzzle brake comparison

I am looking at threading my barrel (thanks to this thread from Cobra from a few years ago) and I have been looking at my different options. I have it narrowed down to the Slant Brake and the AK-74 style.

Can anyone who uses either one or both of these be able to post up a good comparison? I am most interested in reducing muzzle climb, but I am open to hearing about both of these.

Thanks!

"Reduce muzzle climb" is really only a factor with full auto guns.

There is absolutely no comparison between the two. The AK74 brake is the gold standard in military brakes.

P.S. Make sure you get an "actual" AK74 brake (or a damned perfect US made clone). The >$19.99 "AK74 style brakes" with 14x1LH threads are nothing but fancy fishing weights that give you a US made part to screw on the end of your gun.

Edited by nalioth

Make sure you get an "actual" AK74 brake (or a damned perfect US made clone). The >$19.99 "AK74 style brakes" with 14x1LH threads are nothing but fancy fishing weights that give you a US made part to screw on the end of your gun.

I appreciate this info, because I was in fact looking at the $19.99 brakes. I have seen them on the websites of some of our vendors, as well as some other sites, and since I saw so many at that price, I made the assumption that these were the standard. Can you point me in the direction of where to purchase a good US-made clone?

Make sure you get an "actual" AK74 brake (or a damned perfect US made clone). The >$19.99 "AK74 style brakes" with 14x1LH threads are nothing but fancy fishing weights that give you a US made part to screw on the end of your gun.

I appreciate this info, because I was in fact looking at the $19.99 brakes. I have seen them on the websites of some of our vendors, as well as some other sites, and since I saw so many at that price, I made the assumption that these were the standard. Can you point me in the direction of where to purchase a good US-made clone?

I cannot answer here, due to board policy.

I used a $20 one on my Draco, just look for the holes on top.

Brakes001.jpg

I have a four piece on a Bulgy 107UR and a 105 style booster on a Bulgy 107CR. On a shorty like that, the four piece "beer can" does really well are directing the blast away from you. On the CR the short booster has a pronounced fire ball about half the time. I dont' think either of them do much to reduce the muzzle flip...but you said that doesn't matter to you.

I also have a Arsenal SGL21 with the AK74 style brake. I reeealy like that brake. It does calms the muzzle climb down very well.

I'm also looking at these for an upcoming project. However, I'm now curious if this item is what Nalioth is talking about?????

I have a four piece on a Bulgy 107UR and a 105 style booster on a Bulgy 107CR. On a shorty like that, the four piece "beer can" does really well are directing the blast away from you. On the CR the short booster has a pronounced fire ball about half the time. I dont' think either of them do much to reduce the muzzle flip...but you said that doesn't matter to you.

I also have a Arsenal SGL21 with the AK74 style brake. I reeealy like that brake. It does calms the muzzle climb down very well.

I'm also looking at these for an upcoming project. However, I'm now curious if this item is what Nalioth is talking about?????

Not directly no, as those aren't AK74 brakes.

However, they are the same type of "US made fishing weight" as described.

If you want a Krinkov brake that does what it's supposed to, you'll need to find the 24mm threaded ones.

I used a $20 one on my Draco, just look for the holes on top.

Brakes001.jpg

That's not an accurate US copy. It does not properly replicate the design of the 74-brake. Yours has some gas venting holes, but they are in the wrong spots, (and there should be 3, not 2).

Anyone interested in a US-made brake that has the correct, authentic design should check out ak103.com and/or k-var.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Granted I don't have alot of experience in 74 brakes (I shot my friends kvar 7.62x39 with one) and I have the jtac47 on my 7.62x39. My personal opinion is that I don't care for the 74 brake, it's too damn loud. My jtac is a little better but if I had it to do over I'd use a muzzle device that put more of the blast down range.

IE I'm kinda interested in in trying krink can type brake.

I had a 74 brake on my AK it makes a noticeable difference in muzzle climb they are loud too my boys wouldn't shoot next to me customer the muzzle blast to the side LOL also I had a friend who had the " pig" from noveske it was a nice brake as well could of been from the weight LOL but it performed well for about the same.price

there only two that i know of that work very well. J-tac excellent brake but Kings armory has super sweet brake and hider in one

http://www.kingarmory.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page57.html

They used to have demo video of the AK and Shotgun brake/hider at night absolutely great!!!!

read the detailed explanation on brake, comps etc. These guys know there stuff.

Ahhh you tube hear you go!!!