Hey, I'm currently in the market for a pistol for my girlfriend and I've been looking around and came across a CZ-82 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8CZ_vz._82 ) for the awesome price of $250 delivered. Much cheaper than the Walther PK380 I was originally planning on.

Anybody have any experiences with these guns (or similar models)?

Thanks.

Anybody have any experiences with these guns (or similar models)?

Be careful with "similar models". Some were produced as "disposables" by their parent countries (aluminum frames don't play well with 9x18).

As far as the Cz82, it can't be beat. It's a double stacker, a modern design w/ hammer block safety, and all steel. It can be carried cocked-and-locked (for whatever reason necessary) and has an ambidextrous safety lever and mag release.

Good info. The cz 82 looks like a winner. I've been thinking of getting one as a glove box gun. Couple places have 'em online, but I'd rather buy from a local shop or dealer. No one around here has them to my knowledge. :(

I have wondered how to tell if a barrel is worn out. Will wear show up the same way as it does with conventional rifling? I'm not familiar with polygonal barrels, but I bet it can take a crazy high round count.

Edited by Kevin in Texas

Good info. The cz 82 looks like a winner. I've been thinking of getting one as a glove box gun. Couple places have 'em online, but I'd rather buy from a local shop or dealer. No one around here has them to my knowledge. :(

I have wondered how to tell if a barrel is worn out. Will wear show up the same way as it does with conventional rifling? I'm not familiar with polygonal barrels, but I bet it can take a crazy high round count.

Less bullet deformation, resulting in reduced drag on the bullet which helps to increase muzzle velocity.

Increased barrel life and reduced buildup of copper or lead within the barrel.

Polygonal rifled barrels are used competitively in pistol action shooting, such as IDPA and IPSC competitions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonal_rifling

If you're looking for a ccw holster look under CZ83. The 83 was a civi version of the same gun in .380

Edited by Arik

Think twice before buying it online.

A buddy and I bought ours at the same time when Cabela's had them on sale for $200. Most if not all you'll find for sale are used police guns, and they vary greatly in condition. We looked through about twenty to find two in good condition. It's a nice little gun, but the stock grips suck. The recoil is very sharp, and the back of the grip likes to bite the webbing between the thumb and forefinger. That being said, it's a thousand times better than a P64. Mag capacity is twelve if I remember correctly, and they're very reliable. See and inspect the gun before you commit to buy, or you may be disappointed by the condition of the weapon you receive.

The recoil is very sharp, and the back of the grip likes to bite the webbing between the thumb and forefinger.

Must be the way it's gripped. I had mine to the range today and thoroughly enjoyed it (with no biting)

That being said, it's a thousand times better than a P64.

They each have their place, but yeah, I prefer the larger Cz82.

Mag capacity is twelve if I remember correctly, and they're very reliable. See and inspect the gun before you commit to buy, or you may be disappointed by the condition of the weapon you receive.

12 + 1 it is, and you could check at redact.pngredact.png.com to see if they have any left in stock. I got a good one from there.

There's a dude on Gunco named BlackBlade, he's got something like 30 of them. Several vendors have them for under $250; I'd recommend hitting a gun show, I've seen them for $200-$250, plus you can inspect it right there. The only problem is you need to feed them 9mm Makarov, which is of course harder to find than standard 9mm. Some people say you can use .380, but it isn't really recommended.

Edited by vbrtrmn

Some people say you can use .380, but it isn't really recommended.

Some people going for their own Darwin Award?

The Cz83 is the civilian version of the Cz82 and comes in 9x18 (9mm Makarov), .380 ACP and .32 ACP.

Shooting a 9x18 round in a .380 gun is asking for trouble (as is the reverse).

You can have a gunsmith change the barrel on a Cz82 so that it will safely fire .380 (the mag can handle both calibers).

Some people say you can use .380, but it isn't really recommended.

Some people going for their own Darwin Award?

The Cz83 is the civilian version of the Cz82 and comes in 9x18 (9mm Makarov), .380 ACP and .32 ACP.

Shooting a 9x18 round in a .380 gun is asking for trouble (as is the reverse).

You can have a gunsmith change the barrel on a Cz82 so that it will safely fire .380 (the mag can handle both calibers).

Yep not very smart. I have a 9x18 and was told this, I just nodded my head and went my way so I could research it myself. What I found was, the firearm will chamber and fire the cartridge, but not safely. The projectile is too small for the barrel, can cause dmg, or worse. Many other things can go wrong.

Like nalioth said....Darwin award in the making.

Yep not very smart. I have a 9x18 and was told this, I just nodded my head and went my way so I could research it myself. What I found was, the firearm will chamber and fire the cartridge, but not safely. The projectile is too small for the barrel, can cause dmg, or worse. Many other things can go wrong.

Like nalioth said....Darwin award in the making.

Some people say lots of stuff, you can usually find these idiots at gun shops, exactly where I found the guy who told me that.

Get yer C&R license and have it delivered straight to your front door! ^_^

Thanks for the advice, bro! I'm actually looking into getting my C&R. Looks alot simpler than I thought to get things going. There's a linky-dink on surplusrifle.com about getting an 03 FFL. Looks like I have to go to the BATFE local office to get the request form(?) to start the process. Process takes about 6 weeks, right?

Get yer C&R license and have it delivered straight to your front door! ^_^

Thanks for the advice, bro! I'm actually looking into getting my C&R. Looks alot simpler than I thought to get things going. There's a linky-dink on surplusrifle.com about getting an 03 FFL. Looks like I have to go to the BATFE local office to get the request form(?) to start the process. Process takes about 6 weeks, right?

If you can go to the physical ATF office to get the forms, that would be much quicker. 6 weeks is a VERY optimistic estimate. Mine took like 2.5 months to process AFTER I waited many weeks for them to mail me the forms. Having the license is nice, but if you're only ordering the one or two guns and/or your time is more valuable than FFL transfer fees, you may want to consider doing without. Otherwise, get it started and you'll be ordering direct by summertime, probably! :rolleyes:

If you can go to the physical ATF office to get the forms, that would be much quicker. 6 weeks is a VERY optimistic estimate. Mine took like 2.5 months to process AFTER I waited many weeks for them to mail me the forms. Having the license is nice, but if you're only ordering the one or two guns and/or your time is more valuable than FFL transfer fees, you may want to consider doing without. Otherwise, get it started and you'll be ordering direct by summertime, probably! :rolleyes:

LOL! Cool. I'll do it.

Edited by Kevin in Texas

I got mine, took about two months for the paperwork to be "processed". You don't need to goto the office to get the paperwork you can order it, go here:

http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/

Request: F 7CR (5310.16) - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Firearms

There was a bit of a back-up in applications, during the election, it might be back to "normal" now. If you buy more than 2 guns, you'll be ahead, since a lot of FFLs will charge you about $25 for a transfer off of gunbroker. I may have an extra bound book, if you're interested, PM me.

Here's a dude who refinished his CZ..

http://vagunforum.net/curios-relics/refinishing-t373.html

Things on the "need to buy list" for C&R holders:

A Mosin Nagant

CZ-52

Another Mosin Nagant

CZ-82

Another Mosin Nagant

At least one Mauser (of each type)

Another Mosin Nagant

Swiss K31

Another Mosin Nagant

An Enfield (preferably one of each)

Another Mosin Nagant

A P38 and P1

Another Mosin Nagant

An M1

Another Mosin Nagant

A Yugo SKS (these are drying up)

Another Mosin Nagant

One or more Tokarev pistols

Another Mosin Nagant

Edited by vbrtrmn

I got mine, took about two months for the paperwork to be "processed". You don't need to goto the office to get the paperwork you can order it, go here:

Request: F 7CR (5310.16) - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Firearms

There was a bit of a back-up in applications, during the election, it might be back to "normal" now. If you buy more than 2 guns, you'll be ahead, since a lot of FFLs will charge you about $25 for a transfer off of gunbroker. I may have an extra bound book, if you're interested, PM me.

Things on the "need to buy list" for C&R holders:

A Mosin Nagant

CZ-52

Another Mosin Nagant

CZ-82

Another Mosin Nagant

At least one Mauser (of each type)

Another Mosin Nagant

Swiss K31

Another Mosin Nagant

An Enfield (preferably one of each)

Another Mosin Nagant

A P38 and P1

Another Mosin Nagant

An M1

Another Mosin Nagant

A Yugo SKS (these are drying up)

Another Mosin Nagant

One or more Tokarev pistols

Another Mosin Nagant

You forgot two things:

A Nagant Revolver, and

Another Mosin Nagant

Edited by JanusthePhoenix

I have a pa 63 with the pologonal rifling, thing is very accurate for its size. You may want to look for one of them I got it for 160 brand new. The only thing I did to inprove it was add a lead weight to the bottom of the magazine (the magazines are too light to eject). It doesn't have mag capacity of the cz82, but it is smaller and much lighter.

Firing anything but 9mm mak in a weapon chambered for 9mm mak is extremely stupid. Even though 9x17, 9x18, and 9x19 are all nominally "nine millimeter" cartridges, the bullet diameter differs. 9x17 and 9x19 both use bullets .355" in diameter; 9x18 Makarov projectiles are .365" in diameter. You shouldn't even be able to chamber 9mm Makarov cartridges in a weapon meant for .380 auto or 9x19. Doing the reverse is possible, but dumber than dirt.

Firing anything but 9mm mak in a weapon chambered for 9mm mak is extremely stupid. Even though 9x17, 9x18, and 9x19 are all nominally "nine millimeter" cartridges, the bullet diameter differs. 9x17 and 9x19 both use bullets .355" in diameter; 9x18 Makarov projectiles are .365" in diameter. You shouldn't even be able to chamber 9mm Makarov cartridges in a weapon meant for .380 auto or 9x19. Doing the reverse is possible, but dumber than dirt.

How about 9mm Largo? *wink*

How about 9mm Largo? *wink*

Also .355". So is 9mm Steyr. I think that .38 super might be .356 or .358, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the links, vbrtrmn! That ATF one will save me gas and legwork. Its appreciated.

The refinished CZ-82 looks great, too. It really is a sharp-looking pistol.

Edited by Kevin in Texas
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a pa 63 with the pologonal rifling, thing is very accurate for its size. You may want to look for one of them I got it for 160 brand new. The only thing I did to inprove it was add a lead weight to the bottom of the magazine (the magazines are too light to eject). It doesn't have mag capacity of the cz82, but it is smaller and much lighter.

I got a PA-63 for $180 new at a gun show. It's a sweet little Walter PP clone. The silver aluminum frame makes it light and gives it a unique look. Out of the box, this pistol had snappy recoil and an awful, 50 pound DA trigger pull. This was easily fixed by installing a stronger recoil spring and a weaker trigger spring, both by Wolff. It fits in my hand like a glove, is fun to shoot and has never jammed.

Speaking of Eastern Block pistols, AIM Surplus just got Bulgy Maks back in stock.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU