Saiga to 6.5 Grendel?

I love Saigas just like everyone else around here on these boards, but lets face it. There was a reason the Grendel was built on the AR platform for accuracy reasons. the AK platform lacks the accuracy capability that the 6.5 Grendel demands, and i dont think it would do the Grendel any justice...

just my .02

Edited by RoughRider666

I love Saigas just like everyone else around here on these boards, but lets face it. There was a reason the Grendel was built on the AR platform for accuracy reasons. the AK platform lacks the accuracy capability that the 6.5 Grendel demands, and i dont think it would do the Grendel any justice...

just my .02

I had thought about a Grendel AK and came to the same conclusions. Plus one big reason I wanted an AK was the reliable magazines, can't use AK mags with the Grendel, as far as I know. I can get good ammo for 25-30 cents each that will work just fine for anything I need an AK to do. Grendel ammo and brass is a bit rare and expensive.

I had thought about a Grendel AK and came to the same conclusions. Plus one big reason I wanted an AK was the reliable magazines, can't use AK mags with the Grendel, as far as I know. I can get good ammo for 25-30 cents each that will work just fine for anything I need an AK to do. Grendel ammo and brass is a bit rare and expensive.

....Why do you think it would not fit? It's an offshoot of the 22 and 6mm PPC, which are based on the 7.62 x 39. Overall case length is set at 39mm.....It should interchange.....As far as accuracy, you might be limited on the rifle to a degree. But with a new barrel and chamber, I'm thinking your making a gain. And 6.5 bullets are the bees knees on versatility. From hot little 85 grain pills, to 160 grain Moose thumpers. Not to mention the hot sexy VLD's capable of a takedown at 1000m......

....Why do you think it would not fit? It's an offshoot of the 22 and 6mm PPC, which are based on the 7.62 x 39. Overall case length is set at 39mm.....It should interchange.....As far as accuracy, you might be limited on the rifle to a degree. But with a new barrel and chamber, I'm thinking your making a gain. And 6.5 bullets are the bees knees on versatility. From hot little 85 grain pills, to 160 grain Moose thumpers. Not to mention the hot sexy VLD's capable of a takedown at 1000m......

It's not from any work I have done with it, just stirring the memory it seems like the mags wouldn't work right and that you would need the AR mag conversion. I do like the round, just not the expense or availability or loaded ammo or brass. Some guy on 65grendel is having a guy build a 6.8spc chamber with a 6.5 barrel, might be an interesting twist. 65grendel has a rather long thread on the AK to Grendel subject.

just my .02

Accuracy in an AK is mostly a function of the quality of the barrel and the stability of the sights in relation to the bore.

If you have a match quality barrel that is stiff enough to resist some of the flex that the piston system can cause you will get match grade accuracy.

As a 6.5 Gren barrel would be US made making it accurate would be fairly easy. Your limiting factor is really optics, and optic mounting systems for the AK platform.

It's not from any work I have done with it, just stirring the memory it seems like the mags wouldn't work right and that you would need the AR mag conversion. I do like the round, just not the expense or availability or loaded ammo or brass. Some guy on 65grendel is having a guy build a 6.8spc chamber with a 6.5 barrel, might be an interesting twist. 65grendel has a rather long thread on the AK to Grendel subject.

I have, 6.5 gren mags for my AR, I also have Bakelites in 5.45 and 7.62, I can borrow cobra76twos selection of Saiga mags from 5.45, 5.56, 7.62, and even 308 (would need a special spring follower and magblock.)

I have 6.5 Grendel ammo on hand, I'll try to remember to test AK type mags with it this weekend and take pics.

Course the other option would be an AR magwell adapter.

.....Has anyone done it yet? Where on earth could you get a barrel to even try it? Is it doable?........

Yup, Paladin has one made by Red Jacket. would be curious to know how well this round works in an AK mag. Please keep us posted KrisFox.

Gah!!!

I been at the shop for four days and the 6.5 Grendel totally slipped my mind.

I'll have info ready this evening.

If your going to spend the $ on a 6.5 barrel might as well deck the rifle out in a nice Russian Red stock set and feed it using Bakelites.

From L to R, 7.62 bakelite, 6.5 P products 25 round mag, and 5.45 bakelite.

2zs9q44.jpg

COL of the 6.5 Gren is too long for 7.62x39 bakelites

s3q34x.jpg

But they fit great in 5.45 bakelite mags.

35iyya9.jpg

kvy80.jpg

2ih42tl.jpg

You'll need to open up the 5.45 mag feedlips to 7.62 width so the bolt can pick up the fresh rounds.

Also If you want to load more than 10 rounds you'll need to modify the follower so it CAN tilt.

This will render the modified 5.45 mags un-usable for 5.45

• 1 month later...

How About another pic of a 6.5 Grednel AK!

Look super Bad ass with an ultimak on it!!!

Whose is that? Looks familiar.

Have you had a chance to shoot it much? What kind of groups are you getting and have you had any magazine feeding problems?