What can I put in my factory saiga 12 buttstock to fill the large cavi

i would probably use fiberglass resin it is relatively cheap and when dry has a considerable strenght to it. it is available at most hardware or auto part stores. it is a 2 part chemical a hardener and resin and is messy if you are not careful. definately no matter what remove the stock from the gun and possibly secure it in a vice and allow ample time to dry at least a full 24-48 hours. another viable option might be gorrilla glue. it has a similar strenght but the finish is not as good as the fiber glass. but it will be inside the gun so it wouldn't matter. I believe you would get the inside just a little damp the glue has a chemical reaction if i remeber correctly the glue uses the water as a catalyst. it expands and foams so allow for plenty of room for it to expand. In case i am wrong read the instructions. You may also consider an epoxy another two part glue i am just not sure where buy it in large amounts. clean any spills while the glues are liquid otherwise it is very difficult.

I agree, it is kinda weak, but I have yet to see one fail... Besides, if you do fill it with something, you'd be adding some considerable weight to it... On the other hand, that's how many "conversion" projects have started, I am sure! :)

Take a 1" wooden dowel and make a single cross brace that traverses the empty space. Cut it a little oversize and then sand or file the ends till it will just wedge in without causing the sides of the stock to noticeably deform. Then fill the stock with high density foam.

It will be remarkably more solid without a great deal of weight added. :D

• Like 1

hydraulic cement!!!!

Good for buttstrokes!!!

Just kidding... great stuff would fit the bill perfectly!!!

Thanks for the help guys!! I am currently using Great Stuff foam right now. I am using the Window and Door formula because it can be cut away more easily that the regular version. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for the help again!!

~ISherman

I used the spray foam to fill mine.

I had enough room in my hollow stock to place two PVC plastic tubes inside before injecting the foam.

In one tube I fitted for a mercury recoil reduction tube. It can be slide in or out with the removal of the butt cap.

The other tube I use to house a SHTF emergency shell.I pad the butt end of the shell with foam rubber, between the shell and butt cap.

• Like 1

i think the foam should work out alright for you. my stock was a little loose at the butt plate. i put this butt pad from CSS on it and it really tightened up the end.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-275/Saiga-SGM-butt-recoil/Detail

Edited by Snoofer

I was going to fill with foam as well. Then I realized that there is alot of room inside those things. So I decided to use it, the butt-plate pops off with just two flat head screws. I have a .308 but I imagine the butts on the 12s are the same. I was able to fit the following: water purification tablets, medical tape, some bandages, an led light, fishing/sowing kit, a pocket knife, a metal match, a mini bic, a small 1oz bottle of lighter fluid, a laminated copy of the schematics, a good 2 ft. square of aluminum foil, 10 ft of cordage, 800kcal of peanut butter (140g), and a trash bag. I used the trash bag to pack it all nice and tight so there is no rattling. All of this added just under a 24oz to the weapon. To me it is worth the extra weight.. As a tool I'd say she is now at least 22% more useful to me. If I got stuck somewheres the additions would be invaluable.

Potentially you can put whatever you want in there. Even a little mouse gun like a .380. I'm not sure why you'd want to keep a gun inside your gun, but some people are more squirrely than others. You could certainly fit some extra ammo/parts in there, or whatever depending on what your up to.

To open it, I got one of those key sized flat heads, taped it onto the butt-plate, and slid a recoil pad over it.

Food for thought.

• Like 2

I used spray foam in mine (I converted it later). Use disposable gloves so it won't stick to your skin. I made the mistake of not using gloves and had a bitch of a time removing the dried foam from my hands. That stuff WILL stick to your hands and anything else it touches.

Edited by uzitiger

I was going to fill with foam as well. Then I realized that there is alot of room inside those things. So I decided to use it, the butt-plate pops off with just two flat head screws. I have a .308 but I imagine the butts on the 12s are the same. I was able to fit the following: water purification tablets, medical tape, some bandages, an led light, fishing/sowing kit, a pocket knife, a metal match, a mini bic, a small 1oz bottle of lighter fluid, a laminated copy of the schematics, a good 2 ft. square of aluminum foil, 10 ft of cordage, 800kcal of peanut butter (140g), and a trash bag. I used the trash bag to pack it all nice and tight so there is no rattling. All of this added just under a 24oz to the weapon. To me it is worth the extra weight.. As a tool I'd say she is now at least 22% more useful to me. If I got stuck somewheres the additions would be invaluable.

Potentially you can put whatever you want in there. Even a little mouse gun like a .380. I'm not sure why you'd want to keep a gun inside your gun, but some people are more squirrely than others. You could certainly fit some extra ammo/parts in there, or whatever depending on what your up to.

To open it, I got one of those key sized flat heads, taped it onto the butt-plate, and slid a recoil pad over it.

Food for thought.

Not to get too off track here but, speaking of food for thought, That "gun in a gun" reminds me of cooking "chicken in pork sausage in bacon" This may be just the project a guy like me could use!!!

Food for thought.

Not to get too off track here but, speaking of food for thought, That "gun in a gun" reminds me of cooking "chicken in pork sausage in bacon" This may be just the project a guy like me could use!!!

How can I forget the best meal of my life...this is why I'll die of a heart attack some day.

SSPX0098.jpg

i would probably use fiberglass resin it is relatively cheap and when dry has a considerable strenght to it. it is available at most hardware or auto part stores. it is a 2 part chemical a hardener and resin and is messy if you are not careful. definately no matter what remove the stock from the gun and possibly secure it in a vice and allow ample time to dry at least a full 24-48 hours. another viable option might be gorrilla glue. it has a similar strenght but the finish is not as good as the fiber glass. but it will be inside the gun so it wouldn't matter. I believe you would get the inside just a little damp the glue has a chemical reaction if i remeber correctly the glue uses the water as a catalyst. it expands and foams so allow for plenty of room for it to expand. In case i am wrong read the instructions. You may also consider an epoxy another two part glue i am just not sure where buy it in large amounts. clean any spills while the glues are liquid otherwise it is very difficult.

Be VERY careful when using composite resins! Curing of both epoxy and polyester (the "fiberglass" resin you find at Lowe's) are temperature dependent, and the chemical reactions are exothermic. Basically, as the resin starts to kick off, it gets puts out heat, and that added heat makes the resin kick faster. When you are talking about large volumes of resin, the temperature could get high enough to melt the stock! If you do this, i would recommend using epoxy resin and filling the stock in several stages so as to reduce the total heat output.

Personally I find the idea of a survival kit in the stock the BEST IDEA going!!! not to mention that under the checkered section, there is a secondary cavity as well, you could put other things in there as well, and its held in place by a screw also.

a VERY good idea for use of space in a non-converted saiga. :up:

:smoke:

You know, I didn't even realize that space was there/empty. Thanks Indy, I'm thinking about what I'll put in there. It is surprising (to me anyway) how much kit you can fit inside the weapon...and no one would ever guess. I went shooting last weekend with a buddy of mine that just bought a s&w .357 da rev, after handling the saiga for a while he had nothing but praise for the darling. What was inside the stock never came up. You can call it the saiga survival system.

• 3 months later...

I totally am amazed at the survival kit in the stock idea. I would recommend adding a water purification straw.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquamira-Frontier-Emergency-Filter-System/dp/B000OR115W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1277345571&sr=8-2

I went camping and totally shocked my friends by bending over a stagnant forest puddle and taking a sip, can filter up to 40 gal.