Houston I have got a problem

Well I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is after all the waiting I finally was able to pick up my Tromix 12in sbs and go shooting. She ran like a dream with zero problems. She ate everything I fed her from buck to cheap bird shot and patterned as good as my winchester 1300 home defender (s12 had a poly choke of course).

Now the bad news, after we were done shooting I managed to do the dumbest thing to date. I left to go to the store and left my friend in charge of changing the tapco saw style grip that comes with the tromix to the ergo grip. I had faith that he would do a good job as he is pretty knowledgeable about guns. When I got back he managed to cross thread the bolt tony welds for the grip. Is there any way to fix a cross threaded bolt or am I going to have a new bolt angled and welded in? Or should I just tighten the existing nut and washer down even more because the new grip is close to being fitted? Thanks

Well I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is after all the waiting I finally was able to pick up my Tromix 12in sbs and go shooting. She ran like a dream with zero problems. She ate everything I fed her from buck to cheap bird shot and patterned as good as my winchester 1300 home defender (s12 had a poly choke of course).

Now the bad news, after we were done shooting I managed to do the dumbest thing to date. I left to go to the store and left my friend in charge of changing the tapco saw style grip that comes with the tromix to the ergo grip. I had faith that he would do a good job as he is pretty knowledgeable about guns. When I got back he managed to cross thread the bolt tony welds for the grip. Is there any way to fix a cross threaded bolt or am I going to have a new bolt angled and welded in? Or should I just tighten the existing nut and washer down even more because the new grip is close to being fitted? Thanks

send it back to Tony and MAKE your friend pay for it

Damn, that sucks.. and was completely unnecessary. Whatever it costs to fix this, your friend needs to pay for it.. and reexamine what he really knows when it comes to firearms. Replacing parts on a Kalashnikov-type firearm is about as mechanically simple as it gets.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I wish I could send it back and make him pay for it but he has no job, nothing of worth, and is the brokest s.o.b. in the world. I already smacked him upside his head and told him I was going to sick my dog on him(pictured in my avatar)

No cfish he didnt thread it all the way in but the threads are pretty messed up about 1/2in up the bolt. I dont know much about tapping but i am not sure if it could be saved. No its not the same grip nut normally used, he uses long bolts you would use on all thread.

How bad do the threads have to be before they cant be fixed with a tap?

Edited by raidersfan_5544

I wish I could send it back and make him pay for it but he has no job, nothing of worth, and is the brokest s.o.b. in the world. I already smacked him upside his head and told him I was going to sick my dog on him(pictured in my avatar)

No cfish he didnt thread it all the way in but the threads are pretty messed up about 1/2in up the bolt. I dont know much about tapping but i am not sure if it could be saved. No its not the same grip nut normally used, he uses long bolts you would use on all thread.

I'll hop out to the shop to check my dies & see if my thread gauge has the correct pitch & edit with the correct thread pitch if I have it.

Then you can just go buy a die & clean up the threads hopefully.

Be back in a few minuets.

EDIT:

Okay, go to a hardware store & get an M6 X 1.0 METRIC DIE. That will clean up your threads if tony uses a factory AK thread pitch.

I know guys use factory bolts in his TGs, so I would be surprised if yours is different.

I didn't have a metric thread pitch gauge, so I tried diferent dies. M6 X 1.0 fit my grip bolt great.

He may have screwed up the threads in the nut too, so you should pick up a tap while you're at it & clean the nut's threads too.

Good luck & guilt your friend into a few beers often. ;)

Edited by Paulyski

^^Edited^^

Hmmm....

I didn't notice the part about all-thread & a different nut...

PM Bob Ash or Tony & ask what the thread pitch is.

Or it looks like Gas Giant may get the answer...

I love this place!

Edited by Paulyski

Hello

I would try to disassemble the gun and run a tap through from the top of the threads. If you attempt to "chase" the threads from the damaged (bottom) side you may very well screw-up the remainder of the un-damaged ones.

Take a thread guage and determine what diameter and pitch it is exactly and go from there. New bolt (grip bolt) as well.

JMHO...

guido

Edited by guido2

What a f'd up way to learn a lesson. I can only imagine your disgust. Going from the top with a tap is your best bet. If you can't do that, you may be able to grind off the portion of the nut that has the damaged threads if there will be enough threads left to do the job. What about getting a new screw and running it through the top to clean it up? Use some Breakfree or something similar as a lubricant while you do it and it may work OK. I always go in 1/4 turn and back out 1 whole turn when threading, repeat until mission accomplished. Good luck with it.

The moral of the story is.... TRUST NO ONE!

Actually I think he's saying that the threaded bolt is welded to the receiver so he can't start from the top. The nut can be replaced with a new one but if the threaded male part is damaged and is welded to the receiver and can't be rethreaded with a die then wouldn't the next step be to remove the welded on male threaded part and replace it as well?

Hello

I would try to disassemble the gun and run a tap through from the top of the threads. If you attempt to "chase" the threads from the damaged (bottom) side you may very well screw-up the remainder of the un-damaged ones.

Take a thread guage and determine what diameter and pitch it is exactly and go from there. New bolt (grip bolt) as well.

JMHO...

guido

This.

Thanks everyone for your replys. This site is truely the best. Well like mentioned above the grip bolt is welded to the receiver so I guess running a tap from the top is out of the question the only thing I could do is try to run a tap from the bottom to see if the threads will be fixable. If not I guess I could try to cut off the bad part of the threads and use a different nut.

Tonight I am going to email tony and get the proper thread pitch unless someone here has a tromix and already knows? Thanks everyone again. Once she is back in running order I will have to get some pics posted.

Edited by raidersfan_5544

Ohhh... shit.

Die it & get a new nut if you're lucky, cut / grind it off & weld on a new bolt if you're not.

Shitty.

But at least it's a cheap weld.

If you prep everything & get a grade 8 bolt, cut the top off & have a little template to show the correct angle, anywhere (even a kid at a muffler shop with downtime) can weld that for you. Just ask if they'll weld it for $10.00.

That's what I used to do before I began welding.

Muffler shops aren't precision welders, but they weld exhaust support studs all day long & could do it cheap.

Yup GG thats exactly what I have. Is it possible for a tap or die to work even if its the very start of the bolt that has damaged threads? If the threads cant be fixed you guys think I could grind it down or cut it with a dremel past the damaged portion(about 1/2 in) and just use a smaller nut w/lock washer? I want cutting out the old bolt and welding a new one in to be the last resort. Thanks

Yep you got it, that should work, there is a lot of threads on it, get a new nut and you should be good to go,

either re-thread the bolt of cut it off a little.

Yup GG thats exactly what I have. Is it possible for a tap or die to work even if its the very start of the bolt that has damaged threads? If the threads cant be fixed you guys think I could grind it down or cut it with a dremel past the damaged portion(about 1/2 in) and just use a smaller nut w/lock washer? I want cutting out the old bolt and welding a new one in to be the last resort. Thanks

Edited by Gas Giant

If you can save enough good threads to get any nut on it all the way, you're good to go.

You don't need a 1/2" long nut for a pistol grip.

They don't hold thousands of lbs.