Marked Improvement With '74 Style Brake?

Which is the best US made 74 style brake? Chrome lined, crescent moons, etc. I though K-var carried one but they only have the 5.56/5.45 version on their page. Is the Kreb's Customs the best bet?

Your AIM is refusing messages and you have no email set with the forum.

Your AIM is refusing messages and you have no email set with the forum.

I have corrected the email situation, i think aim shall receive messages too.

thanks in advance also.

Edited by GregM1

I gotta agree with the folks that with MB you will get what you pay for. Adding one to the 308 makes so much difference you swear something is wrong and while the x39 isnt that drastic and is beneficial but I went for flash hider on mine as its set up for low light.

My 56S-1 has a factory slant and it works and very well!

I picked up a 351 comp for the X39 Saiga. It's loud and kicks like a mule!

But the rifles are apples and oranges. Your mileage may vary.

I've since picked up "The fishing weight." I'll give that a try.

Thu

I personally like the AMD65 brake, and I think it reduces recoil, but DAMN IT IS LOUD!!!!!! I thought of using a 14/24mm adapter and getting a Bulgy or East German style brake, but I just don't see the need. Besides it adds 4 inches to the weapon! My FE Russian style grenade launcher recoil pad displaces what little recoil there is over a larger area. Besides, I can stick a bayonet on my IO with the slant brake. I agree with Sal, the slant break works even on semi. I tried both a muzzle nut and the slant a WASR and the was less rise with the slant.

A US-made AK-74 type brake can be very effective if it's based on the Russian design, (24x1.5mm RH, gas ports in correct locations, etc). This one is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbjAwTm3q3E

That's my SGL21 using the K-Var brake sold with the rifle. It works very well to reduce muzzle climb, but it's no flash hider. :D

A bayonet can be installed with this brake in place, just as you can with the old slant brakes, rangemaster. ;)

ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

A US-made AK-74 type brake can be very effective if it's based on the Russian design, (24x1.5mm RH, gas ports in correct locations, etc). This one is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbjAwTm3q3E

That's my SGL21 using the K-Var brake sold with the rifle. It works very well to reduce muzzle climb, but it's no flash hider. :D

A bayonet can be installed with this brake in place, just as you can with the old slant brakes, rangemaster. ;)

ymmv.

It looks as though the gas blaze gets diverted to the sides. Did you see a flame in your line of sight?

i don't know guys here is a vid of muzzle device comparison

then from kings armory

looks like the humble slant brake may be the best bang for the buck. hopefully someone else will chime in with some more demo vids.

Edited by leadslinger

i don't know guys here is a vid of muzzle device comparison

That's the Tapco brake; not one based on the correct, Russian design.

Therefore, this "test" is invalid for that reason; if it's supposed to be a test of a true AK-74 type brake, anyway.

Besides, this "test" seems to be of flash-hiding characteristics only. Imo, reducing muzzle climb, (what muzzle brakes were designed to do), is a more important attribute for a muzzle device to have.

ymmv.

Post... valid points. Still i thought the slant brake was for muzzle control and the added bonus of what looks like decent flash hiding capabilities for the least amount of cash output looks like a good all around buy. need to find the time to thread my barrel and try my old slant brake. I also need to check who the manufacture it. More info the better.

Post... valid points. Still i thought the slant brake was for muzzle control and the added bonus of what looks like decent flash hiding capabilities for the least amount of cash output looks like a good all around buy. need to find the time to thread my barrel and try my old slant brake. I also need to check who the manufacture it. More info the better.

The slant brake offers 0 flash hiding capability.

Please put down the delicious beverage.

...It looks as though the gas blaze gets diverted to the sides. Did you see a flame in your line of sight?

A little bit.. :D

muzzleflashlvl21.jpg

muzzleflashlvl31.jpg

These are exceptional muzzle flashes, not typical ones.

what ammo are you using? that is a big ass ball of fire

Edited by BlackLs1Ttop

Speaking of flash hiders, I have been seeing a LOT of pictures and vids of AKs at various training facilities with assorted styles of birdcage style flash hiders. Fortier and a couple others use them, The recoil of a semi AK is so minimal, I would be more interested in a flash hider. On M16s and ARs I have tried both bird cage and three prong, and they both worked well in low light conditions (3 prong was best. Anyone tried one of the 16 style birdcages threaded 14x1mm L on a 7.62x39? The AMD65 brake I tried, besides being louder than blazes, looked like two sidewise firing flame throwers fired in low light!

...It looks as though the gas blaze gets diverted to the sides. Did you see a flame in your line of sight?

A little bit.. :D

muzzleflashlvl21.jpg

muzzleflashlvl31.jpg

These are exceptional muzzle flashes, not typical ones.

what ammo are you using? that is a big ass ball of fire

Yes, that is "a big ass ball of fire". Pretty fuckin cool, huh? :D

Iirc, I was firing Brown Bear JHP... it could have been Wolf Black Box JHP though, I did fire one mag of that. :unsure: *shrug*

Speaking of flash hiders, I have been seeing a LOT of pictures and vids of AKs at various training facilities with assorted styles of birdcage style flash hiders. Fortier and a couple others use them, The recoil of a semi AK is so minimal, I would be more interested in a flash hider. On M16s and ARs I have tried both bird cage and three prong, and they both worked well in low light conditions (3 prong was best. Anyone tried one of the 16 style birdcages threaded 14x1mm L on a 7.62x39? The AMD65 brake I tried, besides being louder than blazes, looked like two sidewise firing flame throwers fired in low light!

Imo, the AMD65 brake sucks, (does nothing but make the weapon louder), and you should not judge the 74-type brake based on your experiences with it.

As for AK recoil.. yeah it's not much, but the muzzle does rise, making accurate, fast semi-auto fire more difficult. The 74-type brake was designed to minimize that, and it does so very effectively.

As for flash hiders.. there seems to be two schools of thought on these.. one, that a device is an effective flash hider if it keeps the muzzle flash out of the shooter's line-of-sight, even if it might amplify it in other directions, visible from other points of view. If that is what defines a muzzle device as a "flash hider", then the 74-type does that also. The other is that a muzzle device is a flash hider only if it minimizes muzzle flash entirely, from any perspective. I'm not sure which is correct, though I favor the former. nalioth?

As for flash hiders.. there seems to be two schools of thought on these.. one, that a device is an effective flash hider if it keeps the muzzle flash out of the shooter's line-of-sight, even if it might amplify it in other directions, visible from other points of view. If that is what defines a muzzle device as a "flash hider", then the 74-type does that also. The other is that a muzzle device is a flash hider only if it minimizes muzzle flash entirely, from any perspective. I'm not sure which is correct, though I favor the former. nalioth?

Muzzle brakes do dissipate flash somewhat, but that is not their primary function (which is recoil reduction).

Flash hiders are designed to reduce (or remove) muzzle flash, but do nothing for recoil management.

"Flash hider" is a misnomer, as none that I'm aware of will reduce the flash signature to nothing (or "hide" it).

Some flash hiders get closer to this goal than others, though.

Muzzle brakes do dissipate flash somewhat, but that is not their primary function (which is recoil reduction).

Flash hiders are designed to reduce (or remove) muzzle flash, but do nothing for recoil management.

"Flash hider" is a misnomer, as none that I'm aware of will reduce the flash signature to nothing (or "hide" it).

Some flash hiders get closer to this goal than others, though.

Thanks, nalioth. So, a muzzle device has to remove the flash from not just the shooter's point of view, (the most important imo), but that of all potential observers to be considered a "flash hider", right?

From my experience, if it's one or the other, I'll take a muzzle brake anyday. Helping to keep the shooter on target is the most important function a muzzle device could have, imo. "Flash hiders" only really play a part in low-light/night fighting situations anyway, and for that, there's this:

24x15mmflashhider.jpg

ymmv.