I just traded emails with Magnolia State Armory asking if they were planning on introducing a mag well for the Saiga 308. I spoke with Nathan and he informed me that they currently have one in development and plan on releasing it by the end of the third quarter this year.

Looks like as soon as this is available and UltimAK releases their S308 gas tube rail, I will finally be able to build my dream bullpup :super: WOOO HOOOOO!!!!

No offense to Nathan, but I'm surprised to hear that he's picked up the .308 magwell project again after he abandoned it last year. I also hope that this is a sign that Nathan and MSA has overcomed all of the struggles of last year and are back to doing business as usual.

Do you know what mags the magwell will fit? Will it be for FN mags as originally conceived?

Edited by FrustratedInCali

I believe the mag well will be for AR-10 mags. Let me ask to make sure.

Armalite or DPMS pattern? I would hope the DPMS pattern as that is what most new 308 rifles are being developed for and they are pretty cheap. 15 dollars for a Cproducts 20 rnd'r or a Magpul 20 rnd'r. No sense in designing it to take FAL mags as they have greatly increased in price to what the DPMS mags are going for, if not more for new/surplus in wrapper mags.

I believe the mag well will be for AR-10 mags. Let me ask to make sure.

Armalite or DPMS pattern? I would hope the DPMS pattern as that is what most new 308 rifles are being developed for and they are pretty cheap. 15 dollars for a Cproducts 20 rnd'r or a Magpul 20 rnd'r. No sense in designing it to take FAL mags as they have greatly increased in price to what the DPMS mags are going for, if not more for new/surplus in wrapper mags.

Yeah, but some of us might own 3 FAL,s & already have 30 FAL mags. GARY N4KVE

Please allow me to clarify a few things.... The .308 adapter was never scrapped nor abandoned. There are at least 4 partially complete projects that will come back in due time. As most of you know I am in the process of bringing things back, I absolutely will not pick up another project till all current obligations are fulfilled. Time quoted in my correspondence are based only on current for-casted outlooks. Like everything it is subject to change.... Thanks.

I just noticed on the Mississippi Auto Arms page that they will soon be featuring a 308 mag well conversion for G3 mags. Looks like us 308 owners are going to have some cool options to choose from. I cant wait to see how these products turn out!

I just noticed on the Mississippi Auto Arms page that they will soon be featuring a 308 mag well conversion for G3 mags. Looks like us 308 owners are going to have some cool options to choose from. I cant wait to see how these products turn out!

Where did you hear that it will definately be for G3 mags?

I asked when I emailed them to ask to be notified when it becomes available for purchase.

If they can get a G3 mag into the saiga .308 they know something I don't. Because last I checked there are some size issues that would need to be addressed.

I know someone(I think liberty arms was the name) made saiga .308 mags using G3s. I don't think they had much luck with it, the sides had to be milled among other things. So if this mag well takes g3 mags I'd imagine that they require some alteration to key areas of the rifle, probably not stuff that should be done with a dremel.

I have never tried to use any other guns mags, I'm just relaying what I was told by MAA. If you have any questions, I suggest giving them a call or an email.

I'm still waiting to hear back from MSA on what mags their mag-well will accommodate.

I asked when I emailed them to ask to be notified when it becomes available for purchase.

Confirmed, I found out from them in the same way. I don't know a ton about mag wells, but it is interesting that they've gotten a G3 mag to work with them. I've heard you have to take alot of material off to do that without a magwell... and I can't imagine a magwell is going to bypass that, but maybe it is. They mentioned the mags it uses will be under 20 dollars without stating what the mags were in the thread they made about this, so maybe they're modifying g3 mags as well and selling them? G3 mags could be described as "Less than 5 dollars" presently, hahaha.

If it's just a magwell that allows g3 mags to be used the way they are that would definately be interesting and economical. Would pay for itself after 4 mags, assuming you get 4 good steel ones and compare it to the other steel mags for saiga presently available.

Confirmed, I found out from them in the same way. I don't know a ton about mag wells, but it is interesting that they've gotten a G3 mag to work with them. I've heard you have to take alot of material off to do that without a magwell... and I can't imagine a magwell is going to bypass that, but maybe it is. They mentioned the mags it uses will be under 20 dollars without stating what the mags were in the thread they made about this, so maybe they're modifying g3 mags as well and selling them? G3 mags could be described as "Less than 5 dollars" presently, hahaha.

If it's just a magwell that allows g3 mags to be used the way they are that would definately be interesting and economical. Would pay for itself after 4 mags, assuming you get 4 good steel ones and compare it to the other steel mags for saiga presently available.

Check out post #17. MSA states that the magwell is designed around the DPMS pattern AR-10 mags, and specifically the Magpul LR-20 mag.

Check out post #17. MSA states that the magwell is designed around the DPMS pattern AR-10 mags, and specifically the Magpul LR-20 mag.

There are two magwell adapters in the works, MSA's and the one on Mississippi Auto Arms' site. The product code for MAA's adapter includes the name "Sandline Tactical," a business with no internet presence, apparently. MAA's adapter is the one that will supposedly use G3 mags. MSA's will use the LR-20 mags.

There are two magwell adapters in the works, MSA's and the one on Mississippi Auto Arms' site. The product code for MAA's adapter includes the name "Sandline Tactical," a business with no internet presence, apparently. MAA's adapter is the one that will supposedly use G3 mags. MSA's will use the LR-20 mags.

Dang, my bad. MSA, MAA, its easy to get the acronyms confused. Its like I see the 1st and last letter and completely ignore the letters in the middle. Oh well, Im definitely looking forward to the AR10 pattern mags as I already have about 15 Cproducts DPMS pattern 20rnd 308 mags. I just hope that Nathan can get caught up on previous orders and turn his business around into a respectable and profitable company. Ive just heard too many bad things from past consumer reports and I definitely would not want to be the first to put my money on the line.

Just heard back from MAA about the G3 Mag Adapter. here is what Nathan had to say:

"The prototype was simple enough for the average do it yourselfer to complete. The modification is to the gun and not the magazine.

Nathan"

Looks like I signed in with my facebook account somehow...

Just heard back from MAA about the G3 Mag Adapter. here is what Nathan had to say:

"The prototype was simple enough for the average do it yourselfer to complete. The modification is to the gun and not the magazine.

Nathan"

I agree with csspecs on this one. I still fail to see how an average DIY'er or any one can do it without jeopardizing the safety.

The amount of material to be removed is beyond significant, especially at the trunion bold latches. I heard some people did this a while back, but they stopped due to safety concerns. The .308 round can brake the weakened trunion and send the bolt flying back right into your head.

I need to see it to believe

Nathan"

I agree with csspecs on this one. I still fail to see how an average DIY'er or any one can do it without jeopardizing the safety.

The amount of material to be removed is beyond significant, especially at the trunion bold latches. I heard some people did this a while back, but they stopped due to safety concerns. The .308 round can brake the weakened trunion and send the bolt flying back right into your head.

I need to see it to believe

Me too, but man do I wanna see it work out.

• 1 month later...

What are the approximate dimensions of a Magpul mag vs say a native Saiga 308 (e.g. surefire)? I take it the Magpuls won't have the same problems as the G3, namely the width being too excessive for the magwell.

The MAA mag-well in development is for G3 mags.

• 11 months later...

The .308 adapter we/I developed was a spin on the AR mag adapter.... in answer to your question the Magpul LR20 was the mag the adapter was modeled around.

OK, so it's been awhile, and you are at least back in production if not caught up. Do you have any idea when you'll be able to look at a .308 magwell project again? I still find the idea intriguing, and I'd love to be able to use, say, Magpul SR25 mags in my Saiga...