Does polishing lead to rust?

The finish is there to provide corrosion resistance. Bare metal = less corrosion resistance. Keep it clean, dry and oiled. If you're in a humid environment, a dehumidifier in your house/vault/safe isn't a bad idea for preserving your weapons, whether or not their moving parts have had the finish removed.

By removing the finishing coat via polishing, will that exposed part be more prone to rust? And if not, why not polish all metal parts that rub against each other?

Rider,

If you are going to be storing a gun for any length of time and don't want to worry about re-oiling those bare metal areas try this....

There are corrosion preventative compounds that you can spray on and they harden. They are less prone to just waste away like a WD-40 or some other quick spray. I would use something equivelent to LPS-3. You should be able to find a CPC that will provide a drying film to protect that bare metal at a hardware store for more of a longterm storage protection.

Just spray the film off with a brake cleaner and lube with something like Break-Free prior to shooting.

TYBOY

By removing the finishing coat via polishing, will that exposed part be more prone to rust? And if not, why not polish all metal parts that rub against each other?

Rider,

If you are going to be storing a gun for any length of time and don't want to worry about re-oiling those bare metal areas try this....

There are corrosion preventative compounds that you can spray on and they harden. They are less prone to just waste away like a WD-40 or some other quick spray. I would use something equivelent to LPS-3. You should be able to find a CPC that will provide a drying film to protect that bare metal at a hardware store for more of a longterm storage protection.

Just spray the film off with a brake cleaner and lube with something like Break-Free prior to shooting.

TYBOY

Be careful with brake cleaner, I watched my buddy use the so called safe non-chlorinated brake cleaner on his brand new 5.45 Arsenal. We both sat there in horror as the finish came right off certain parts, granted the finish on the Russian parts held up fine, but everything American made and installed by Arsenal was bare metal. Dosen't say much for QC in America!

Well, shit, why the hell were you using brake cleaner on a new weapon?! :huh:

Even Hoppes #9 can take the factory finish off certain parts of a Saiga, so yeah, brake cleaner is right out! :D

After learning the hard way, I now use Break-Free CLP on my S-12 and SGL21. It works very well and doesn't harm the finish in the least.

The highest quality builds DO have all the friction bearing surfaces polished.

ETA, I live in a very moist enviornment & have had all coatings off.....

2s1.jpg

The only the barrel, tube & gas block ever had any rust start & I shot it in the rain like this more than a few times... But boy did they want to rust if not oiled.

My Hammer, rails & carrier have been bare for more than 6 months & no rust has formed. Weird, but true.

S-129mm25yd1.jpg

2s9.jpg

Edited by Paulyski

Rider,

TYBOY

Be careful with brake cleaner, I watched my buddy use the so called safe non-chlorinated brake cleaner on his brand new 5.45 Arsenal. We both sat there in horror as the finish came right off certain parts, granted the finish on the Russian parts held up fine, but everything American made and installed by Arsenal was bare metal. Dosen't say much for QC in America!

WD-40 is clorinated also I never use it.

I don't use WD-40 either on anything.

I use the Break free as a Lube for my weapons. I do use brake cleaner to spray out my FCG and reciever after I do little filings here and there. I suggested the brake cleaner to remove the CPC film that hardens on the FCG and bare metal areas, I'm not sure if the Break Free or Break free powder blast can break down that type of CPC film.

TYBOY

I use Militech-1. It conditions the metal to end up being self lubricating so to speak. They sent me a box of it for free to distribute to my team last time I was in Afghanistan. It works on anything from M-4s to beltfeds. Or like stated above, shoot it often.

i think it has something to do with the finish having more surface area for rust to grab compared to the smooth metal

and yeah remove your stuff and you will get rust...remember thats why your guns have you, to keep the rust off of them.....

some some parts are more prone than others....my damn ar saftey turns "orange" quickly....but it wipes right off

my buddy has an ar with a orange tint he doesn't see it but i do...