Complete set of matching wood furniture

I'm considering another 12 build and thinking about going the wood route on a 22" model.

I've seen bits and pieces about a wooden stock here, wooden lower hanguard there, etc. But is there anyone making complete sets of wooden stock, lower hanguard (not worried about an upper) and pistol grip all stained to match? I've also seen posts about lower hanguard retainers for wooden lowers (Klassy Kalashnikov to be exact), what all is involved with the instalation of these?

Thanks guys

Eric

Not sure about finished wood, but Ironwood Designs makes a set to fit the Saiga 12. It isn't finished, just cut to fit. I just placed an order for sets for both my S12 and x39.

A poster who goes by the handle BattlerifleG3 also makes furniture for S12s, among others. Same gig, though. Unfinished, buyer dooes the finish work on it. There's a catalog of some of his work on Dinzag's site, but, based on some of my communications with BRG3, I think its a little outdated.

As far as complete, finished sets go, I'm not sure. I know there are a couple places that sell them, but I don't remember who they are and I think the pieces are mostly of foreign manufacture, which could put you in conflict with 922R.

The lower handguards from IWD are the AKM pattern and would require one of the retainers from Dinzag or KK. Installation of the Dinzag model is very simple. It screws in to the same spot as the original handuard and the wooden handguard is squeeze in between the receiver and the retainer. I'm sure KK's are simlilar.

BRG3 cuts them in lots of different patterns; some would be pure plug and play. remove screw, remove the plastic one, slide the wooden one on in its place and put the screw back in.

I'm considering another 12 build and thinking about going the wood route on a 22" model.

I've seen bits and pieces about a wooden stock here, wooden lower hanguard there, etc. But is there anyone making complete sets of wooden stock, lower hanguard (not worried about an upper) and pistol grip all stained to match? I've also seen posts about lower hanguard retainers for wooden lowers (Klassy Kalashnikov to be exact), what all is involved with the instalation of these?

Thanks guys

Eric

KK's lower retainers were for 7.62 barrels. WAY TOO SMALL for the S-12

There's a few ways to go about things...

Buy AK wood & sand & stain it & gut the inside to fit the S-12 barrel, Go to battleriffleG3 through Dinzag, Get a lower HG retainer from dinzag, or get an AK lower handguard retainer, cut it & weld on a piece to drill a hole through to attach it like your old lower foregrip like I did......

Done1-2.jpg

(I would recommend annealing it by heating it up to bright cherry red, & placing it in a preheated oven while red & turning the oven off, so it cools slowly (If you don't anneal them they are prone to snapping) You can use MAPP gas with a regular propane tourch to anneal)

Or.... Buy this one for close to $200.00 & have one of the only in town with real S-12 wood.

saiga12_oak.jpg

Edited by Paulyski

Do the wooden pistol grips fit the Tromix DIY trigger guard? I've got big hands so going the "AK look" original trigger guard would look nice, but not so nice for me.

It's wood....

If it doesn't go right on, either a touch of wood filler, or a touch of whittling for good fit & finish..

There is a rumor that only the SAW type works with the DIY tromix TG, but many other grips have been used with it.

Look in the Pic section, I believe there are a couple pics of this setup. It looks to have a similar angle to the SAW grip when installed .

It's the most ergonomic looking WOOD S-12 grip I've seen to date.

ETA:

If it doesn't fit, I'm sure one could sell it for enough $$ to buy 5 or more of whatever type of PG you want.

Edited by Paulyski

Thanks guys

Eric

KK's lower retainers were for 7.62 barrels. WAY TOO SMALL for the S-12

There's a few ways to go about things...

Buy AK wood & sand & stain it & gut the inside to fit the S-12 barrel, Go to battleriffleG3 through Dinzag, Get a lower HG retainer from dinzag, or get an AK lower handguard retainer, cut it & weld on a piece to drill a hole through to attach it like your old lower foregrip like I did......

Done1-2.jpg

(I would recommend annealing it by heating it up to bright cherry red, & placing it in a preheated oven while red & turning the oven off, so it cools slowly (If you don't anneal them they are prone to snapping) You can use MAPP gas with a regular propane tourch to anneal)

Or.... Buy this one for close to $200.00 & have one of the only in town with real S-12 wood.

saiga12_oak.jpg

Pauly,

Could you post a larger pic of your S-12 for me? Im interested to see an up close photo of the hand guard and gas tube. Thanks!

Eric

I really like the furniture on your S12...is that a regular galil fore grip?

Yes. Its a reproduction AR forend made by these guys...

http://oldsouthgunwood.com/

I had to use a 308 galil rear handguard retainer and weld a piece of 1/4" keystock on the back and machine it to fit the Saiga receiver. The front retainer is a Tromix part that I wish I hadnt bought. I ended up having to weld it to the handguard shell to get it to stop falling out. I suppose they make them for the plastic forends. A regular AK front retainer machined open on top would have worked better.

Pauly,

Could you post a larger pic of your S-12 for me? Im interested to see an up close photo of the hand guard and gas tube. Thanks!

Eric

Sure.

Sorry it took a while, I'm not following this thread closely.

It sits like this now, I am still contemplating doing the RSB conversion. I want to do it right, so I must be motivated to do it.

I don't want to pay 299.00 (although it's worth it) for Dinzag to do it, & I damn sure won't be doing it half assed, so I wait.

I already have the RSB. & AK gas tube for the retainers...

I don't mind it like this, but I think I want to complete the wood look.

Soon enough.

Many projects.

S-129mm25yd1-1.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've been at it a while, but here is my first tiger maple butt stock. I'm still working on the pistol grip and fore grip. The next butt stock won't have the AKM style groove in it.

post-19191-005346300 1276731399_thumb.jpg

Really pretty... :super: