IS there a firing pin adjustment need advise

i was wondering if you all would know what i need to do to fix this... it hits the primer really light and maybe 1-30 will not fire then i can put that shell that didnt fire back in the gun and it will fire the second time but it hits all the shells light... is there an adjustment to fix this or what would you reccommend me to buy to fix it... thank you guys so much.. it is a fully converted gun with the tapco fcg

darrell

Darrell,

First did you do anything to your FCG or to your bolt or bolt carrier, and if so what? Next can you post some images from different angles of the receiver, the bolt and bolt carrier, the FCG cocked, and then how the hammer is resting against the firing pin after the trigger has been pulled.

This goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway. Please be sure to double check the chamber to make sure it is empty, and remove any magazines or drums from the firearm before doing anything else.

Are you using the original hammer/trigger spring? I'm not aware of any adjustment that can be made on the pin itself. Make sure there's nothing impeding the pins travel though. No junk in the bolt that jams the pin's movement or anything like that.

If you did not relieve the side of the hammer enough to make allowance for the BHO, it could be that the hammer is binding up and just not hitting the primer hard enough.

Corbin

Darrell,

First did you do anything to your FCG or to your bolt or bolt carrier, and if so what? Next can you post some images from different angles of the receiver, the bolt and bolt carrier, the FCG cocked, and then how the hammer is resting against the firing pin after the trigger has been pulled.

This goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway. Please be sure to double check the chamber to make sure it is empty, and remove any magazines or drums from the firearm before doing anything else.

Hey mike ;)

I agree. It sounds like the hammer needs to be reprofiled. I had the same problem with the second S12 I bought.

What mainspring do you have in the gun?

The JTE reduced power mainspring that was on the market for quite a while will occasionally cause light primer strikes. If I'm not mistaken, this product was pulled (for this reason) late last year.

If you used that spring during your conversion, I would recommend your first step be to replace it with the JTE full power spring or go back to the stock spring.

What mainspring do you have in the gun?

The JTE reduced power mainspring that was on the market for quite a while will occasionally cause light primer strikes. If I'm not mistaken, this product was pulled (for this reason) late last year.

If you used that spring during your conversion, I would recommend your first step be to replace it with the JTE full power spring or go back to the stock spring.

The reduced power competition main spring was not pulled due to light strikes. It was discontinued due to lack of sales. People wanted a better spring that did not need to be "tuned".

Pics would help with the problem or more info on the conversion parts used.

Darrell,

Hey mike ;)

I agree. It sounds like the hammer needs to be reprofiled. I had the same problem with the second S12 I bought.

EVL,

You are correct that I suspect hammer profile. Usually the issue with this kind of problem - but when folks are home brewing the possibilities are endless.

Mike

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=166736140

it was an identical gun to this one... i bought it from peach state guns

here is a discription and thank you all so much i will get those pics on here asap

For sale is a fully converted Saiga 12 Gauge, Conversion done in house by Peach State Guns. The barrel with permanent welded flame breech brake is 18 inches total. We have tested these weapons with various ammunitions and had no failures. This shotgun is 922r compliant with the use of the original magazine. It features a Tapco T6 Stock, Tapco G2 single hook trigger group with bolt hold open, ATI knurled pistol grip, and Flame Breech by DPH. This shotgun was converted, sandblasted, parkerized, and duracoated a Matte Black. It comes in the original box with the original accessories and the selector stop in the stock position ..

the gun cycles perfect and did when i got it it will eat anything,, but sometimes i will have this problem where the pin hits the primer and the shell dosent go off.. and again thank you all so much

i actually order the gas fixer plug and spring for you at carolina shooting supply although i did not need to use it like i said it cycles everything wonderful... i also ordered a nice rail and foregrip and i must say you guys have lighting fast shipping ... it has the stock main spring in the gun..

like i say it has only done this to me about 12 times out of about 400 shells... but i put a 3'' magnum 00 buck and it did it 4 times in a row.... then i loaded the magazine back up with the same 4 shells that had been hit and it fired them fine... thanks guys

Edited by elevatorman

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=166736140

it was an identical gun to this one... i bought it from peach state guns

here is a discription and thank you all so much i will get those pics on here asap

For sale is a fully converted Saiga 12 Gauge, Conversion done in house by Peach State Guns. The barrel with permanent welded flame breech brake is 18 inches total. We have tested these weapons with various ammunitions and had no failures. This shotgun is 922r compliant with the use of the original magazine. It features a Tapco T6 Stock, Tapco G2 single hook trigger group with bolt hold open, ATI knurled pistol grip, and Flame Breech by DPH. This shotgun was converted, sandblasted, parkerized, and duracoated a Matte Black. It comes in the original box with the original accessories and the selector stop in the stock position ..

the gun cycles perfect and did when i got it it will eat anything,, but sometimes i will have this problem where the pin hits the primer and the shell dosent go off.. and again thank you all so much

Any photos of the receiver internals or fire control group? The conversion looks fairly typical. Images of the outside of the gun aren't terribly helpful.

What's under the hood?

post-24383-12726975438575_thumb.jpgpost-24383-12726976203487_thumb.jpg

here are a few pics sorry there not better i took them with my phone thanks

Darrell

Looks like your hammer has too much metal left on top of the axis. This will impede the hammers forward movement and cause light strikes.

This type of problem is not uncommon among cheap conversions. My advice is to send it to a gunsmith who can walk and chew gum around S12's. I know Cobra does hammer work, and if this IS the problem, I suggest you get in touch with him.

Good luck.

The profile of your hammer is aweful.... like mine was, lol. It should rest flat, for the most part, against the rear of the bolt instead of resting on the top corner.

I would be willing to bet that is the root of the issue.

could i file a little bit at a time until the hammer sits flat again the rear of the bolt ... like now when the hammer is rested agaignst the bolt you can see a gap at the bottom where the hammer is not hitting it flat.... if i took a little off it would probally hit the firing pin better>. what do you all think

Mine was exactly the same as yours, exactly! Tromix fcg and it would light primer strike once in awhile after the conversion, never ever did it before. I filed the back of the bolt because it looked like the hammer face wasnt sitting against the fp when all the way forward, since i filed it ive shot 200 rounds of various brown bear and no problems at all.

could i file a little bit at a time until the hammer sits flat again the rear of the bolt ... like now when the hammer is rested agaignst the bolt you can see a gap at the bottom where the hammer is not hitting it flat.... if i took a little off it would probally hit the firing pin better>. what do you all think

From near to far:

Saiga hammer, Tromix Modified G2 that I reprofiled to work properly in my S12, and a untouched Tapco G2.

post-22401-12728096466707_thumb.jpg

This is the G2 after I ground it in the right spots to work properly in my other S12. Note the spot that looks like it didn't get ground much. Don't take a lot off there or you may experience unwanted firing conditions (doubles, triples, or full auto). You still need a certain height on the hammer to reset it and engage the disconnector.

post-22401-12728096965677_thumb.jpg

.... and a good view of the profile

post-22401-12728097332576_thumb.jpg

Get your hammer to the right profile and smooth it out a bit with a file and some sand paper.

DO NOT FILE THE BACK OF THE BOLT. HAMMERS ARE MUCH EASIER TO FIND IF YOU SCREW IT UP.

I hope this helps....

A hammer is relatively easy to replace if you don't get it right the first time. Bolts are nearly impossible to find, and there appears to be nothing wrong with your bolt.

Fixing the hammer profile problem by altering the bolt to fit may seem logical, but it is not a good idea.

Your photos are a bit blurry, but it appears your hammer surface is laterally uneven (the profile is crooked from side to side). This is very possibly compounding your problem. My advice (once again) is to seek out a professional who can a. Resurface your hammer or, b. If there is not enough workable metal to re-profile your hammer, buy another one with a functional profile. There are several vendors on the forum who sell FCG's modified for the S12, Cobra, Tromix, Dinzag and you may even find one who will sell you just a hammer.

This may seem like a huge problem right now, but it isn't. Solutions are readily available for you.

Good luck.

You have one of four problems, possibly two.

1. Your bolt is binding on something in its travel or end of travel.

2. Your hammer is not striking the firing pin fully due to its shape or an obstruction.

3. Firing pin is bent or the nose is chipped.

4. Your hammer spring is too weak.

Address them in the order listed, one at a time. After ensuring the gun is empty, observe the function carefully. As stated, do NOT modify your bolt or carrier.

If you don't want to mess with it, send it to one of the excellent S-12 gunsmiths in this forum, like (but not limited to) Cobra or the guy in NM (I forget his screen name). It should be an easy fix for one of them.

Good luck, and don't forget to let us know what the problem is. Someone else here may have a similar problem, and knowing what yours was will help them. We're all in this together.

You have one of four problems, possibly two.

1. Your bolt is binding on something in its travel or end of travel.

2. Your hammer is not striking the firing pin fully due to its shape or an obstruction.

3. Firing pin is bent or the nose is chipped.

4. Your hammer spring is too weak.

Address them in the order listed, one at a time. After ensuring the gun is empty, observe the function carefully. As stated, do NOT modify your bolt or carrier.

If you don't want to mess with it, send it to one of the excellent S-12 gunsmiths in this forum, like (but not limited to) Cobra or the guy in NM (I forget his screen name). It should be an easy fix for one of them.

Good luck, and don't forget to let us know what the problem is. Someone else here may have a similar problem, and knowing what yours was will help them. We're all in this together.

Thanks for the vote of confidence StarPD. The guy in New Mexico's screen name is WaffenSchmied (German for gunsmith, or armorer). My real name is Michael Rogers, the company is "Lone Star Arms", and I am business member here on the forum.

I knew you could help, Michael.

Apologies for forgetting your name.

No apologies necessary at all. "WaffenSchmied", doesn't exactly roll off the tounge, or immediately lodge in ones memory.

Thank you for your, recommendation on the forum, and for your service in your official capacity.

Thank you Michael.

For the record though, I am not an LEO and never have been. My screen name comes from the .45 ACP Star "PD" which is my constant companion and has been for many years. I did however serve 4 years in the Navy, and was on a Fletcher Class Destroyer in the Atlantic before we decommissioned her in 1957.

I do however appreciate the "Thin Blue Line", and on other forums, often stand up for them when they are maligned by some.

Thank you also for adding me to your "Friends List". I appreciate that.

My best to you, and, take care.

Edited by StarPD