The Golden Age of 7.62x39 Ammo has begun

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just went to that site, and I don't consider 260 + $20 shipping for 1000 rounds of Wolf MC that great of a deal. I got 1000 rounds of Brown Bear for 228 shipped from Military Shooters; I also got i

I have to say, I just got my shipment from www.Luckygunner.com and not only was the price great, but I got the shipment in 2 days.

Roger that. I used to be big on buying silver and gold, but now I steadily pump more money in to two areas -- ammunition and food (in five gallon buckets, # 10 cans, and foil pouches). At last estim

Posted Images

I tend to lean with big Sal on more ammo and guns then cash, yet at the same time you will need something to barter with so i guess silver is on the agenda just as soon as my ammo stash reaches its acceptable maintenance level and my gear is purchased.

ammoman came down to 219 delivered on the wolf.

• Like 2

My Uly ammo came in today. Now I have to clean this extra DShK ammo can I have. Its like Christmas in June. :killer::killer:

Greg, you will have a plum mag today or tomorrow as well.... This will be a good week for the GregM1 clan.... :smoke:

• Like 1

My Uly ammo came in today. Now I have to clean this extra DShK ammo can I have. Its like Christmas in June. :killer::killer:

Greg, you will have a plum mag today or tomorrow as well.... This will be a good week for the GregM1 clan.... :smoke:

Yep, a good week so far. The mag came in the mail today. now i have all 3 of the color of bulgy 5.56 mags. Earlier this week, I also found the proper pebbled leather russian frog to go with the plum izhmash bayonet I got a few months ago.

I got my ammo can clean. Berryman's B-33 Engine Degreaser stripped all the old grease and powder residue off in a few seconds. These white Uly boxes are smaller than the Monarh, Bear, and Wolf boxes. With boxes this size, it would be easy to store 50 boxes in one DSHK can. 1000 rnds in one can sounds good. The DSHK can is designed for the 12.7mm rnd. I found three at the Army Surplus a block from my house for 12$ each. They had them listed as Chinese, but I think that all of them are not chinese. One is definitely different. Color and small design differences. Just finding a resource about DSHK cans though is the problem.

Edited by GregM1
  • Like 1

So, what, if any good deals on 7.62x39 are there right now? It looks like 1000 per $200 is the norm across the internets (for commercial anyway). Anyone have any better deals?

(GregM1:> glad you got the magazine, enjoy bro!)

• Like 1

So, what, if any good deals on 7.62x39 are there right now? It looks like 1000 per $200 is the norm across the internets (for commercial anyway). Anyone have any better deals?

I was thinking of getting some Silver Brown Bear that is on sale for 239 for 1000. Seems like a good deal to me.

Still not sure on the rules for posting the location.

Edit: Just noticed it was for Soft point not FMJ. Dang.

Edited by enthusiast
  • Like 2

I was thinking of getting some Silver Brown Bear that is on sale for 239 for 1000. Seems like a good deal to me.

did you check military shooters for brown bear FMJ? it was cheaper than that last i looked.

• Like 1

So I guess all silver bear is zinc coated? I actually wanna test zinc vs brass vs poly vs lacquer coating and see what comes out on top (in terms of moisture prevention and accuracy).

• Like 1

did you check military shooters for brown bear FMJ? it was cheaper than that last i looked.

Yes I did and ordered some thank you! I was thinking of getting some silver to see if it was better.

I went shooting this past weekend and shot the Yugo and the Brown Bear and both did very well. I was shooting a metal target way up on the side of a mountain. I wish I would have measured the distance before I left. I was using iron sights.

• Like 2

I was reading about defensive ammo over on Cheaper than Dirt. The bold part below surprised me. Does this sound right?

7.62x39mm

The AK-47 is the most prolific rifle in the world. Its predecessor, the SKS, is chambered in the same 7.62x39mm and has quickly become the choice for an inexpensive utilitarian rifle here in America, fighting to replace the wildly popular lever-action .30-30 Winchester Carbine. The military surplus imported ammo has long dried up, but the market has picked up where the surplus left-off, leaving us with plenty of inexpensive plinking ammo. Most of the inexpensive Russian JHP and JSP ammunition is substandard when asked to perform the role of defensive ammunition. The exception to the rule is Wolf Military Classic Hollow Point 124-grain (AMM-633), which offers acceptable ballistic terminal performance as a defensive cartridge. Winchester's excellent Super-X 123-grain soft point bullet (65102) load is the other choice in this popular caliber to meet with our standards for a defensive load.

Edited by enthusiast
  • Like 1

I was reading about defensive ammo over on Cheaper than Dirt. The bold part below surprised me. Does this sound right?

7.62x39mm

The AK-47 is the most prolific rifle in the world. Its predecessor, the SKS, is chambered in the same 7.62x39mm and has quickly become the choice for an inexpensive utilitarian rifle here in America, fighting to replace the wildly popular lever-action .30-30 Winchester Carbine. The military surplus imported ammo has long dried up, but the market has picked up where the surplus left-off, leaving us with plenty of inexpensive plinking ammo. Most of the inexpensive Russian JHP and JSP ammunition is substandard when asked to perform the role of defensive ammunition. The exception to the rule is Wolf Military Classic Hollow Point 124-grain (AMM-633), which offers acceptable ballistic terminal performance as a defensive cartridge. Winchester's excellent Super-X 123-grain soft point bullet (65102) load is the other choice in this popular caliber to meet with our standards for a defensive load.

I wonder what gives the MC an edge for "defense" in their mind??

Edited by bigsal

Here is the thing about HP rounds in a rifle whose possible use is full on combat, not hunting or target but MBR. If a HP must penetrate cover to hit its target the very thing that makes it work so well in ballistic tests works against it. Now cover of course includes body armor of various types, walls of various construction, vehicular parts, and so on. In these cases FMJ, AP, and even Soft Point would be preferred as the round will hold together much better while passing though cover.

This btw is one reason the x39 round worked better in Nam than the 223 as foliage caused more deflection of the 22cal than the 30cal. You have to consider that as a general purpose round FMJ works better than specialized ammo. HP would of course be much better than FMJ for hunting or LEO since deer and most stupid criminals aren't wearing body armor. Also AP is just sheer gold since its no longer legal to import it. If anyone uses AP at a range god may get angry ;)

Its just my opinion but I only stock FMJ and SP for the above reasons.

• Like 1

Here is the thing about HP rounds in a rifle whose possible use is full on combat, not hunting or target but MBR. If a HP must penetrate cover to hit its target the very thing that makes it work so well in ballistic tests works against it. Now cover of course includes body armor of various types, walls of various construction, vehicular parts, and so on. In these cases FMJ, AP, and even Soft Point would be preferred as the round will hold together much better while passing though cover.

This btw is one reason the x39 round worked better in Nam than the 223 as foliage caused more deflection of the 22cal than the 30cal. You have to consider that as a general purpose round FMJ works better than specialized ammo. HP would of course be much better than FMJ for hunting or LEO since deer and most stupid criminals aren't wearing body armor. Also AP is just sheer gold since its no longer legal to import it. If anyone uses AP at a range god may get angry ;)

Its just my opinion but I only stock FMJ and SP for the above reasons.

AP is expensive! Other than gunbroker, where have you guys found a source for AP in 7.62x39???

Man I wish I knew, all Ive seen is a box here and there for way more money than makes sense and likely not even true AP. The only verified AP Ive been lucky to run across was in 308.

Now of course there's some on GB mostly 30-06 and 223 and some steel core Russian stuff that may well be the soft steel rounds that are little different from any FMJ. I keep checking guns shows since I can at least examine it but so far nada in x39.

Edited by Rhodes1968
  • Like 1

Cabella's had Tula back on website, still on sale. My wife will kill me if I buy anything else, just converted Saiga last week.

Just bought 20 boxes (500) of ULY from them for $99, labeled Tula on the site, but ULY boxes, and confirmed ULY when recieved.

• Like 1

Cabella's had Tula back on website, still on sale. My wife will kill me if I buy anything else, just converted Saiga last week.

I just put 50 boxes in my basket and it is on backorder.

backordered at $189 per 1000 is not to bad.

I just put 50 boxes in my basket and it is on backorder.

Make that 100 for me. Gonna get it while it's hot.

• Like 1

Just got 40 boxes (800rnds) of that Tula from Cabella's for $156 shipped, when they were doing the $5 shipping deal a few days ago. Best deal I've found in a while.

I've shot about 100 rounds so far and it's done just as good as anything else I've ever shot in 7.62 x 39.

• Like 1

Just got 40 boxes (800rnds) of that Tula from Cabella's for $156 shipped, when they were doing the $5 shipping deal a few days ago. Best deal I've found in a while.

I've shot about 100 rounds so far and it's done just as good as anything else I've ever shot in 7.62 x 39.

Next time you see the coupon could you post the coupon code on this thread? Id like to be able to get in on that 5$ shipping (not for the ammo, but for their plastic dry storage boxs).

Thanks man!

Next time you see the coupon could you post the coupon code on this thread? Id like to be able to get in on that 5$ shipping (not for the ammo, but for their plastic dry storage boxs).

Thanks man!

When I ordered from their site it was applied if the order was over $150 IIRC.

• Like 1

Thanks man!

When I ordered from their site it was applied if the order was over $150 IIRC.

nice, thanks man.

BY THE WAY, THIS EPIC THREAD IS NEARLY 8 PAGES LONG AND HAS NEARLY 6000 PAGE VIEWS! I'd like this one to eclipse the picture thread, so keep the posts coming dealing with ammo! :super: