Just finished 308 Conversion

Just finished my conversion on the 308.

Saiga308001.jpg

Saiga308002-1.jpg

Thanks to the vendors at this site for helping out.

MAA:

MAA Stock

Hogue Grip

Trigger group

Dinzag:

Sights

Answering conversion questions.

Silva Coatings:

the powder coat light grey

Cobra 76two:

Conversion questions and a guidance

Could not have done it wit out your help. Thanks to all.

Enjoy.

Cobra

Edited by jaymce
  • Like 1

Sweet job!!

Thanks.

Nice Jay! Very original! That powder looks sweet.

Thanks S could not have done it with out you. I was ready to take the plasma to this one the other day.

nice job!especially on the trigger guard!(slotting and welding)

Thanks. I bent up some 1/4 x 1/8 flat bar that I had in the shop. The slotting was an after thought to blend it with the hand guard. I wish I had spend a little more time finishing the welds. I will on the next one.

Looks nice! You should easily be able to defend Ice Planet Hoth from the Empire with that baby!

:super:

Thats funny! I have had a couple people suggest a winter camo but I am still feeling out how far I can push the powder coat. I found the tape the powder coater uses will with stand the heat with out printing the 1st layer of powder, so the next build will be olive and black tiger stripe.

That is def. one of the coolest and most unique .308's I've seen thus far!!

How's the Hogue Grip, I think that's going to be my next purchase and would love some feedback

Thanks, I wanted something different. I wanted a powder that was a little darker and with less gloss but the powder guy thiks this is fun to do so beggars take what they can. I probably do not pay him enough to start the booth let alone ask for colors he does not have on the shelf. For the next builds though he is going to strong arm some of his vendors for some "sample colors". :super:

I love the Hogue grip. Best $ I have ever spent. Very comfortable to shoot and feels great in the hand. I plan on shooting about 2-300 rounds this weekend so I will let you know better then. I have another grip here with similar compound in the finger area and back area then a hard plastic in the palm area. Not even close to being as nice as the Hogue grip. Well it's Hogue! Never been unhappy with one of their products thus far pistol or rifle.

Edited by jaymce

I love the Hogue grip. Best $ I have ever spent. Very comfortable to shoot and feels great in the hand. I plan on shooting about 2-300 rounds this weekend so I will let you know better then. I have another grip here with similar compound in the finger area and back area then a hard plastic in the palm area. Not even close to being as nice as the Hogue grip. Well it's Hogue! Never been unhappy with one of their products thus far pistol or rifle.

Thanks for the info, I'm now sold (used to have much more cash on hand before the saiga came around)

Thanks for the info, I'm now sold (used to have much more cash on hand before the saiga came around)

I know exactly how you feel. I still have to pick up 2 more to complete the set and then start conversions.

I can see a storm trooper aiming that at hans solo LOL, that thing looks really cool man, very original.

:lolol: Thanks

That hand guard is awesome! Is it custom?

Very nice looking gun.

Thanks. Yes, the hand guard is a custom I made up. PM me for more details or the powers that be will shut down the thread.

I can see a storm trooper aiming that at hans solo LOL, that thing looks really cool man, very original.

Ditto!

I was at a shoot this weekend and one guy asked where the stormtrooper helmet was. Thanks

Went through about 150 rounds with out a hitch. Even impressed a couple bench rest shooters this morning with the feel and balance of the rifle. They had a good time shooting it as well.

That is dead sexy. I wish I had the knowledge and tools to recreate something similar.

Living in Alaska, I'd love to take that out when I go snowmachining in the winter.

Thanks.

There really is not that much machine work invloved. The trigger guard I bent by hand and milled on the Bridgeport, but with a little patience one could do it with a dril and Dremel, a local machine shop would be able to knock it out, or get a bolt on trigger group. Anyone who has a welder and a little experience should be able to weld the holes etc for you. Other than that all the parts are off the shelf and it is a standard conversion. Call around and you will find a sand blaster at a local shop or they can be had cheaply online. Then find a guy who will powder coat it for you or just go with gun coat or spray paint.

I am not going to tell you that you will be all set in an afternoon. I think all told I am in to this conversion for about 15-20hrs as my first conversion. But that includes tear down, design and fabrication, assemble and test, disassemble sand blast and powder coat assemble finished gun. I would never make a living doing it but that is not the point for me on these.

I know exactly how you feel. I still have to pick up 2 more to complete the set and then start conversions.

Ordered the Hogue grip on Friday, should be here on Monday (tomorrow), can't wait

Ordered the Hogue grip on Friday, should be here on Monday (tomorrow), can't wait

You will like it. Over the weekend I bet about 10 people tried the gun and many of them commented on how good the grip felt.

The handguard is awesome, makes me think of a handguard for a Saiga-12? Did you modify one for the S-12 to go on this and if you did can you give some specifics on the conversion?

One of the best looking conversions I have seen, good job.

The handguard is awesome, makes me think of a handguard for a Saiga-12? Did you modify one for the S-12 to go on this and if you did can you give some specifics on the conversion?

One of the best looking conversions I have seen, good job.

Thanks,

It looks like some of the "thou shalt not be named guard"s around as I make those as well. In answer to your question yes and no. I used one of the long tubes of the standard diameter I use to make the 12ga guards. This guard is however about 11" long instead of 9" long. That is where the similarities end.

I have not figured out why Saiga chooses to make a different hand guard mount for each rifle. I would think it easier to make all the receivers like a 12 ga (mount wise) then machine each mount to accept the GA or Cal barrel desired. Then make a 9" forend for shotguns and an 11" forend for the rifles so you only have 2 guards to deal with. Instead I have found that each Cal. and GA gun has a different mount tab at the receiver.

The first post has all the parts I used, everything is off the shelf stuff except for the trigger guard, assembled using info on this board along with some contacts and help from good vendors. I am not sure what specifics you would need beyond those. Let me know specifically what info you need and I would be happy to provide what I can.