I finnaly converted/restored my x39..

Well, I did it. Wasnt that hard, I did have a few folks on here give me some last minute info that helped. I even got the BHO in...And found threads under the shroud...In the pic, I still have to paint my PRK Arms mag lock..(Cali legal stuff)..

Thanks all who gave assistance...My next conversion will be a lot easier, I'm sure..gallery_22253_427_1065632.jpg

Just did mine yesterday. It feels so much better without that damn interufse saiga off balance grip on it. Now it's the way it should be.

Haven't done the bullet guide yet for those surplus magazines yet. Getting up the nerve to do that. Or maybe take it to a gunsmith or machine shop that has a drill press.

Nice work btw.

How long did it take to convert? I think I was around 1 1/2 hours or so. With a break to go get cigarettes. :P

Sorry for the crap photo. My camera is toast so I gotta use my cell phone.

post-25585-083275300 1277964775_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats on now having a properly-balanced rifle, icefire. :up: She handles far, far better now that the trigger and pistol grip are in the right place, doesn't she?

I took the easy way out and bought a SGL21, (fantastic rifle, but not legal in Cali as sold), for my Russkie x39, but I did convert restore my S-12 myself, so I truly appreciate the difference between an OEM and a restored Saiga.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Just did mine yesterday. It feels so much better without that damn interufse saiga off balance grip on it. Now it's the way it should be.

Haven't done the bullet guide yet for those surplus magazines yet. Getting up the nerve to do that. Or maybe take it to a gunsmith or machine shop that has a drill press.

Nice work btw.

How long did it take to convert? I think I was around 1 1/2 hours or so. With a break to go get cigarettes. :P

Sorry for the crap photo. My camera is toast so I gotta use my cell phone.

I took a lot of breaks, too, all in all, took about the same, 1 1/2 to 2 hours...

You were way better off stock since your in california

Why? My gun is perfectly legal here in this configuration. As long as I have the mag lock on it, and dont use mags over 10 rounds, its completely legal.

And, state law since 2007 says the the state DOJ does NOT have the right to ever add any more guns to the ban list, so it can never be banned..the State Supreme Court upheld that years ago.

A lot of folks dont know or think to research california gun laws, just parrot what they have 'heard' from someone else....

.Big 5 Sporting Goods is even selling IO Casar AK's here in Cali now....

You must be behind the times....

We are only one vote away from having our guns confiscated. The Supreme Court voted 5-4. And Elena Kagan will vote on the "4" side. So if we should lose one of the "5" to death or illness, and Obama gets another appointment, your gun rights are in great peril. They can rule it banned at any time.

Why? My gun is perfectly legal here in this configuration. As long as I have the mag lock on it, and dont use mags over 10 rounds, its completely legal.

And, state law since 2007 says the the state DOJ does NOT have the right to ever add any more guns to the ban list, so it can never be banned..the State Supreme Court upheld that years ago.

A lot of folks dont know or think to research california gun laws, just parrot what they have 'heard' from someone else....

He's not referring to whether your rifle is legal or not. He's referring to the practical aspects of a pistol grip versus the ability to have detachable magazines.

Personally, I would rather have an unconverted Saiga in CA as well. The ability to hold the gun via pistol grip is not as useful, in my personal opinion, as the ability to have your magazines detach and be reloaded quickly.

Yes, I know, some people are fast with a magazine lock. However I doubt it's anywhere close to grabbing a new mag, smacking the old one with it, and clicking it into the gun.

To each his own. I'm glad you did a proper conversion rather than the bolt on.

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov

We are only one vote away from having our guns confiscated. The Supreme Court voted 5-4. And Elena Kagan will vote on the "4" side. So if we should lose one of the "5" to death or illness, and Obama gets another appointment, your gun rights are in great peril. They can rule it banned at any time.

when did that happen?

can you go into more detail on the subject I am curious.

He's not referring to whether your rifle is legal or not. He's referring to the practical aspects of a pistol grip versus the ability to have detachable magazines.

Exactly. Now your rifle looks cooler but it's less effective.

If I was in cali I'd throw on some optics and a muzzle brake and be done with it. What's the deal with magazines? In NY I'm limited to 10 rounders UNLESS they're pre-ban.

Edited by t3mac21

If I was in cali I'd throw on some optics and a muzzle brake and be done with it. What's the deal with magazines? In NY I'm limited to 10 rounders UNLESS they're pre-ban.

I will have to take issue with you chaps, the idea is having a rifle that with minimum modification can be turned into a FA unit(assuming society breaks down, or laws are changed of course). His current configuration is closer to this goal than a stock saiga. It is good that icefire took the initiative to get this far. All he needs to do is remove all that mall ninja shit from his rifle, get a haircut and replace the FSB correctly and hes home free.

I will have to take issue with you chaps, the idea is having a rifle that with minimum modification can be turned into a FA unit(assuming society breaks down, or laws are changed of course). His current configuration is closer to this goal than a stock saiga. It is good that icefire took the initiative to get this far. All he needs to do is remove all that mall ninja shit from his rifle, get a haircut and replace the FSB correctly and hes home free.

I like his hair lol

but ya you should utilize those rails or toss them.

Seriously if I lived in Cali. I'd move. Gun laws there change like the passing wind. I will never understand why they would ban anything other than full auto weapons.

I look at it this way. A pistol grip doesn't make the weapon any more or less a weapon. It's still a weapon. Semi auto or auto loading firearms can be fired at close to the same rate as a full auto firearm. Take an SKS for example: Fixed magazine, non pistol grip stock, 7.62x39, and can be fed stripper clips just as fast as a magazine change out. If not faster.

Stupid people make stupid laws.

Don't even get me started on 922R compliance.

BTW: how did you do the white lettering?

Edited by Guerrilla13

Seriously if I lived in Cali. I'd move. Gun laws there change like the passing wind. I will never understand why they would ban anything other than full auto weapons.

I look at it this way. A pistol grip doesn't make the weapon any more or less a weapon. It's still a weapon. Semi auto or auto loading firearms can be fired at close to the same rate as a full auto firearm. Take an SKS for example: Fixed magazine, non pistol grip stock, 7.62x39, and can be fed stripper clips just as fast as a magazine change out. If not faster.

Stupid people make stupid laws.

Don't even get me started on 922R compliance.

BTW: how did you do the white lettering?

These laws are not intended to make the gun any less of a weapon. The politicians know this as well. The draconian bans are intended to make gun ownership more costly, complicated and risky. The overall effect is a diminished interest in firearms due to the hassle, as well as an overall lower rate of gun ownership (among law abiding citizens). For every enthusiast with a ban compliant rifle in a ban state, there are several people who didn't bother at all due to the laws.

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov

I like his hair lol

but ya you should utilize those rails or toss them.

The hair stays. I make a lot more money in the Metal band I'm in than with the job I have. The A&R folks at the label would crap if I cut my hair...

The rails ARE used, i just took off the light to work on the conversion. I also have a Mil-spec green laser thats not on there right now...

AND, I have a way that I wont get into here to drop mags very quickly when I need to without taking off the mag lock... \

The white lettering? I heated up a china pencil, then wiped it out with rem oil...

Edited by icefire
  • Like 1

The hair stays. I make a lot more money in the Metal band I'm in than with the job I have. The A&R folks at the label would crap if I cut my hair...

The rails ARE used, i just took off the light to work on the conversion. I also have a Mil-spec green laser thats not on there right now...

AND, I have a way that I wont get into here to drop mags very quickly when I need to without taking off the mag lock... \

The white lettering? I heated up a china pencil, then wiped it out with rem oil...

I say the hair makes you about 30% less combat effective. There should be a sub-forum for the proper conversion... :lolol:

I'm not really on this forum to talk about my personal life, but i'll mention it once and move on...I play for a band called Locust Furnace

And, the laser I have (not mounted right now) is a Beamshot GB 800M from a mil contract overrun...

I'm not really on this forum to talk about my personal life, but i'll mention it once and move on...I play for a band called Locust Furnace

And, the laser I have (not mounted right now) is a Beamshot GB 800M from a mil contract overrun...

That's cool. But what would be optimal would be an IR laser that is Night Vision compatible. Running around with night vision, targetting people with lasers they can't see. It would be a neat set up. I think that is what the soldiers use. That might be why some people questioned the mil-spec aspect of it. But I could see that some up close and personal missions which go into small enclosed areas wouldn't mind a visible laser.

I say the hair makes you about 30% less combat effective. There should be a sub-forum for the proper conversion... :lolol:

Sal, My favorite post from you ever...:super:

• Like 1