I know this is a saiga forum but I also know some of you guys have AR's also so I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge as to whether the new Rock Point Guns Ar-15's are any good for the price. Classic Arms has them in a LE version for $699.00 or a heavy barrel version with bipod and optics for $799.00. I haven't even held an Ar since I got out of the Army back in 1981 but have always kind of wanted to get one but the cost has been prohibitive compared to the Saiga's so I have never bought one. I might pick me one up at this price though. Also wondering if the Hi-point.45 is any good ? Thanks for any info and have a Happy 4th.

Edited by theDuke

The ar is good rifle. Loved my m16 in the army. bought a bushmaster as a civy. Sold it and bought 2 saiga .223's. after converting its balance is better. Have not noticed any significant accuracy issues. go with the saiga.

The High Point is about adequate-that's all I can say good about it. If you lose your hammer you could use the HiPoint until you get a new hammer. Would be better off saving your money up and getting either a new or used .45 like an XD, M&P, etc.

Are you kidding me? A Hi-Point would shatter like glass if you tried to hammer anything with it. I'd say a paper weight at best. IMO stick with Taurus if you want an affordable handgun.

Thanks guys for the responses. I went over to a few Ar forums and saw they were discussing these Rocky Point Guns AR's. Some guys said stay away until they are proven but some guys said they have been dealing with or getting guns from RPG for quite some time and they said they're very good and one guy said he knows the owner and he's a stand up guy that will stand behind the product. They did suggest that RPG is just assembling the rifles from proven parts. I am interested as I said I have wanted to have an AR since I got out of the Army back in 1981 but didn't want to spend in excess of $1000.00 for a rifle when I could get a few Saigas for that amount. I don't know I'm torn I would like to get an Ar but I could get another 7.62x39 and a S-12 for just alittle more cash decisions decisions.

I haven't heard of RPG, so I can't comment on their quality or reputation.

But for another way to get into an AR on a budget, I highly recommend assembling a stripped lower (it makes a Saiga conversion look like rocket science), and then buying a complete upper. Stag uppers are good, and are relatively cheap.

Just an example:

Basic 16" Complete Stag upper (yes, literally complete: BCG, charging handle, rear sight, etc) - $504 shipped

Quality lower of your choice - $100ish

Lower build kit from Palmetto State Armory (great guys) - $156 shipped

(The lower build kit includes everything needed to complete a stripped lower: Mil-spec Magpul MOE stock, Magpul MOE grip, MOE trigger guard, CMMG LPK, mil-spec buffer tube and associated parts. Price those out separately, and you'll see you're getting a great deal)

That's $760 for a complete carbine. The only thing missing from my example list is the shipping and transfer fee on the lower itself.

Just some food for thought, bro.

But for another way to get into an AR on a budget, I highly recommend assembling a stripped lower (it makes a Saiga conversion look like rocket science), and then buying a complete upper. Stag uppers are good, and are relatively cheap.

Just an example:

Basic 16" Complete Stag upper (yes, literally complete: BCG, charging handle, rear sight, etc) - $504 shipped

(The lower build kit includes everything needed to complete a stripped lower: Mil-spec Magpul MOE stock, Magpul MOE grip, MOE trigger guard, CMMG LPK, mil-spec buffer tube and associated parts. Price those out separately, and you'll see you're getting a great deal)

That's $760 for a complete carbine. The only thing missing from my example list is the shipping and transfer fee on the lower itself.

I have given that idea some thought also but didn't think hard enough to research the pricing so thanks bro. I know I could get another saiga but I want to get an AR since I haven't even held one since December of 1981. Haven't seen you online lately playing COD MW2, not enough time to play anymore? Glad to hear you got to move finally and hope things go well for you down there. I recently took a vacation out to the Black Hills in South Dakota and I love it out there wouldn't mind moving there either. Thanks for the info on the parts I may just go that route.

For $150.00 the High point .45 is decent to keep under your vehicle's seat.

I had one & it never jammed, but they're poorly designed, heavy as all hell, have a low ammo capacity, they're ugly, & for some reason, if they get the right random impact, the mag may fall out.

But I'd rather have a hi-point .45 than their 9mm. It jams a lot.

As others have said, save your $$$ & get something better.

One can get used police Glocks cheap.

• Like 1

I know this is a saiga forum but I also know some of you guys have AR's also so I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge as to whether the new Rock Point Guns Ar-15's are any good for the price. Classic Arms has them in a LE version for $699.00 or a heavy barrel version with bipod and optics for $799.00. I haven't even held an Ar since I got out of the Army back in 1981 but have always kind of wanted to get one but the cost has been prohibitive compared to the Saiga's so I have never bought one. I might pick me one up at this price though. Also wondering if the Hi-point.45 is any good ? Thanks for any info and have a Happy 4th.

How did an AR15 question get pistol comments in here? I mean really... if you want to discuss pistols... go to the pistol forum section... :rolleyes:

:smoke:

Because the OP asked... I mean really... :rolleyes:

:haha:

Just an example:

I have given that idea some thought also but didn't think hard enough to research the pricing so thanks bro. I know I could get another saiga but I want to get an AR since I haven't even held one since December of 1981. Haven't seen you online lately playing COD MW2, not enough time to play anymore? Glad to hear you got to move finally and hope things go well for you down there. I recently took a vacation out to the Black Hills in South Dakota and I love it out there wouldn't mind moving there either. Thanks for the info on the parts I may just go that route.

No prob, bro. If you do decide to go that route, I can provide links in a PM to where I found those prices. I've personally dealt with both companies I'm referring to, and they're good-to-go. I can also hook you up with the link to the video on how to install an LPK into a stripped lower. It's easy as hell.

No time for MW2 lately. I'll hook it back up once my girl and I get our own place, though. It's been awhile.

Thanks for the well wishes. :beer:

How did an AR15 question get pistol comments in here? I mean really... if you want to discuss pistols... go to the pistol forum section... :rolleyes:

OOPSIE!!!! MY BAD!!! LOL

I have to admit... I did not even SEE that little comment tucked away in there... all I saw was a question about AR15... and I skipped right past it! LOL

With that said... Folks... Ignore the MOD... the HEAT has gotten to him!!! :lol: Continue on as before... " Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! "

mmmm...gyrating underboob

• 3 weeks later...

Well I think I may just get one and see if it's as good as the owner says. I talked with him today he was fishing out on the ocean but took my call anyway. From the pics on their website it looks to be a Stainless Steel trigger and it indeed is SS trigger and hammers assembly as well as the pins. The site also shows pics of the bolt and carrier seperately and it looks to be properly staked but i asked him and he said indeed it was as well as being heat treated and chromed. The heavy barrel version uses a chrome moly barrel also they have a lifetime warranty also instead of the limited lifetime warranty that it states on classic arms website. It has M4 feed ramps also. He said the reason they started building their own rifle was they sold Bushmaters and RRA's and he said they were tired of getting complaints of people being disappointed with their purchase. He said these new rifles are built fully to Mil-Spec's and said that alot of the law enforcement agencies including the FBI agents in North Carolina are using these rifles with very good reports. They make almost every part for the rifle but get some of the small parts from very proven manufacturers. He said they are trying to break into a very flooded market hence the low price for now to get their name out there and to make a name for theirself. I originally called RPG and got a very nice lady but she said she could not answer my technical ?'s so she gave me the number of a guy called Chuck. I called and it rang a few times then a very nice gentleman answered and we started conversing I heard a great deal of background noise and he said please excuse the noise we're out deep sea fishing. This guy chatted with me for close to half an hour about his product. I kept saying I don't want to ruin your fishing day so I'll call you later and he said no sir no trouble at all. One guy at Glock talk had said this guy was a very nice gentleman that will stand behind anything he sells. I have been doing nothing but researching for the last couple weeks and this seems to be a very good value so I think I'll give them a shot. I may be getting it next week unless you guys talk me out of it. So if I do I'll run it through it's paces and report back.

Edited by theDuke