Hi guys i have been away for a while as i sold my s308 to put a suppressor on my bolt gun and have sorely missed my black beast ,Now i am looking towards a 7.62x39 this time due to ammo price and i like the shorter barrel ,Has any one used a molot ,and what do you think of the 7.62 x39 as a shtf gun,I have a .243 for the long range and a rem 870 security w knoxx stock for up close ,Do you thing the 7,62 would be good to spray round the place to keep the marauders at bay.Plus i can get 1000 rounds for $350 so thats cheap as, Please help

• Like 1

From what you describe as your intended application, I don't see how you could go wrong with a s7.62x39 w/16" bbl. I just finished restoring mine, and it makes for a compact, utterly reliable battle weapon. All I have left to do is notch my safety lever and install my bullet guide.

As far as the .308 goes, I take advantage of the better ballistics, as compared to the x39, and keep it for use at longer ranges. I have a DPMS LR .308 that I shoot at ranges of 300-600 yards. I also have a Savage Model 10 FLP in a Choate Varmint stock that I shoot at 1000 yards, to train for FCSA matches. Handloads at $.50 a round vs $3 a round allow for more shooting, to train for reading the wind, mirage,..etc.

My S7.62x39 and a few other compact rifles I own, I train with by shooting at claybirds on the backstop at 72 yards. My club range allows rapid, controlled, fire. I don't care how these particular rifles print on paper. I want to see the combination of me and the rifle getting quick acquisition and destruction of multiple targets at an intermediate range.

1000 rnds for $350? You're gettin raped, mate. ;)

Of course you're in NZ and I don't know the exchange rate or how cheap in general Russian 7.62x39 can be had in NZ.. but by US standards.. yeah: raped. :D

I'd recommend 7.62x39 as a very effective cartridge up to at least ~350 yrds.. which makes it a great overall choice, (also the caliber the AK was designed for, don't forget that).

Here's a couple vids of me just fuckin around at about ~60 yrds, (rifle is a SGL21-62), poppin some old electronics n such in very low light with iron sights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbjAwTm3q3E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpTIzl3uPTw&feature=related

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

1000 rnds for $350? You're gettin raped, mate. ;)

Of course you're in NZ and I don't know the exchange rate or how cheap in general Russian 7.62x39 can be had in NZ.. but by US standards.. yeah: raped. :D

I'd recommend 7.62x39 as a very effective cartridge up to at least ~350 yrds.. which makes it a great overall choice, (also the caliber the AK was designed for, don't forget that).

Here's a couple vids of me just fuckin around at about ~60 yrds, (rifle is a SGL21-62), poppin some old electronics n such in very low light with iron sights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbjAwTm3q3E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpTIzl3uPTw&feature=related

God, I love that sound so much. It's like listening to the gun of God Himself. ;)

Edited by SAIGA-Genesis

For out to 350 yards/meters I agree with Post.. go with the 7.62x39 rifle..

I get about 9-10" groups (30-40 rounds) with a 6MOA red-dot out to 200 yards.. 6-7" with a 6x32 scope..

I get 5-6" groups (20-30 rounds) with a fixed 6x32 scope with my 5.45x39 Saiga.

Just goy my Saiga 308 in yesterday and managed a 2" group using irons and the factory trigger from a bag..

Can't comment yet on 200 yards with her yet.

Albert

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

post-22710-038957700 1287136569_thumb.jpg

Hi guys sorry for the late reply ,I ended up buying this stunning 2010 model Saiga (7.62x39)

with a genuine lightened trigger and a factory muzzle break and threaded barrel,And not to mention this

sweet butt stock ,Also it takes all AK mags ,Plastic or Steel ,But personally i prefer the steel mags,

I payed $2350 NZD all up for the gun ,5 x 7 round steel mags and 1500 rounds of chinese FMJ,

Expensive by USA standards but an absolute bargain over here ,Can;t wait to get to the range and fire it up.

Nice vids by the way ,Love that night shooting

Edited by jerry2guns
  • Like 2

Do you have any plans to do anything else with these guns besides shoot people? SHTF fantasies always make me giggle. Must of saw rambo one too many times as a kid. :lolol:

I did watch rambo many many times and since having the means and licence to purchase such weapons i figured why not ,

and i know the whole shtf thing gets thrown alot ,and in reality, in my country anyway i would most likely have no need to

use the rifle against anyone ,and if i did i would probably go straight to prison once things returned to normal ,but hey it does give

me comfort knowing i have the means to protect my friends and family if need be,

And in the mean time, paper,cans,vegetables and small furry animals will be my public enemy #1 :killer:

• Like 4

Good choice on the 7.62x39. For all around shooting and fun you will save a bunch of cash on ammo! That bullet did just as well or better than a .308 on my tests shooting a Subaru. Of course If a herd of wild Subarus are after you a spike strip would serve you better. Anyway.. Good going!!

Edited by RobRez

Do you have any plans to do anything else with these guns besides shoot people? SHTF fantasies always make me giggle. Must of saw rambo one too many times as a kid. :lolol:

Could you do some thing other than troll every time you come here. Seems you are hell bent on suggesting people intend to only kill people with their rifles every time you make a post. Next time try and post positive input instead of twist peoples words to suggest what you want it to for your own amusement.

In other words, shut the fuck up, sit back and try and learn some thing kid. I know you're young and all, have a lot to learn still. Try and keep your dumb ass shit to yourself until you find some thing useful to say.

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 4

Could you do some thing other than troll every time you come here. Seems you are hell bent on suggesting people intend to only kill people with their rifles every time you make a post. Next time try and post positive input instead of twist peoples words to suggest what you want it to for your own amusement.

In other words, shut the fuck up, shit back and try and learn some thing kid. I know you're young and all, have a lot to learn still. Try and keep your dumb ass shit to yourself until you find some thing useful to say.

Gotta agree here. That shit is funny once, but when you post it in every thread it gets old real fast. I mean its not as bad as the guy posting pictures of his rilfe with the UTG rail(if I wanna look at abortions Ill move to Texas), but its not good ether.

• Like 3

In other words, shut the fuck up, shit back and try and learn some thing kid. I know you're young and all, have a lot to learn still. Try and keep your dumb ass shit to yourself until you find some thing useful to say.

if I wanna look at abortions Ill move to Texas)

You kill me Bigsal. :lolol:

Silly hippies :haha:

• Like 2

post-22710-038957700 1287136569_thumb.jpg

Hi guys sorry for the late reply ,I ended up buying this stunning 2010 model Saiga (7.62x39)

with a genuine lightened trigger and a factory muzzle break and threaded barrel,And not to mention this

sweet butt stock ,Also it takes all AK mags ,Plastic or Steel ,But personally i prefer the steel mags,

I payed $2350 NZD all up for the gun ,5 x 7 round steel mags and 1500 rounds of chinese FMJ,

Expensive by USA standards but an absolute bargain over here ,Can;t wait to get to the range and fire it up.

Nice vids by the way ,Love that night shooting

Looks sweet mate, 7.62x39 is a fun round. When ever SHTF comes to mind, I think of a bunch of raiders (Home invasion'ist) dressed up in makeshift steel armor and crazy mohawk hairdos. 7.62x39 does a good job of piercing threw steel so it would be an optimum choice for SHTF

Gotta agree here. That shit is funny once, but when you post it in every thread it gets old real fast. I mean its not as bad as the guy posting pictures of his rilfe with the UTG rail(if I wanna look at abortions Ill move to Texas), but its not good ether.

Nah, I'll post whatever I want, thanks.

"what do you think of the 7.62 x39 as a shtf gun,I have a .243 for the long range and a rem 870 security w knoxx stock for up close ,Do you thing the 7,62 would be good to spray round the place to keep the marauders at bay."

He has a .243 for long range murder, and his tacticool 12 gauge for up close, now he just needs a battle rifle of sorts. I'm not bending anyones words. 90 percent of this forum (and all gun forums) are geeks fantisizing about shooting people.

Edited by t3mac21

Nah, I'll post whatever I want, thanks.

"what do you think of the 7.62 x39 as a shtf gun,I have a .243 for the long range and a rem 870 security w knoxx stock for up close ,Do you thing the 7,62 would be good to spray round the place to keep the marauders at bay."

He has a .243 for long range murder, and his tacticool 12 gauge for up close, now he just needs a battle rifle of sorts. I'm not bending anyones words. 90 percent of this forum (and all gun forums) are geeks fantisizing about shooting people.

I dont see the word MURDER once. Only you have posted that. Can you please clear this up for us.

• Like 1
He has a .243 for long range murder' date=' and his tacticool 12 gauge for up close, now he just needs a battle rifle of sorts. I'm not bending anyones words. 90 percent of this forum (and all gun forums) are geeks fantisizing about shooting people. [/quote']

I don't fantasize about shooting folks. I have in real life shot folks. But I do not fantasize about it.

90% of all statistics are made up on the spot and I think you just confirmed it.

Friend......these are just people who love their hobby.....

You did twist his words....no...you murdered his words...he said he had a .243 for long range....you twisted it around to say "long range murder"...he said "marauders"...this could be raccoons, possums or people.....marauders means something doing harm to him or his property....4 legged or otherwise....you twisted it around to be only people....then you go on to say " I'm not bending anyone's words...." Bull fucking shit your not.....

I am too old to give a shit about your obvious bias and your lame ass attempt to twist these guys post into your liberal fantasy bullshit....but I am also young enough to still have a working brain and realize just how full of shit you are here.

Nice edit....LOL...you suck at this man..........

Edited by The Sarge
  • Like 3

tmac21.. no offense.. I have never shot anyone.. would I ?? sure.. the question would be WHY did I ??

I have a a 308 for 'long range' , 545 for mid range, and the 762x39 for my MEAN BATTLE RIFLE.. :killer:

I then have my new H&R 12ga Pump with 7 rounds of 00 buck for home invaders sitting by the bedside fully loaded..

I have parts laying around on my shelves in my bedroom... and Ammo cans on the floor and a loaded 'mag' here on the shelf also..

post-8775-080761300 1287361808_thumb.jpg

I had an original Anarch***** Cookbook and the Poormans Jamesbond Vol 1 & 2.. and How to Find Anyone Fast.... and some others..

Notice the GREEN book... oh-no...

Yes I am a nut.. but it takes one to know one.. :haha:

Al

• Like 1

Liberal? :lolol:

I'm just a enthusiast who finds it hillarious. Go shine your quad rail or something bro.

-1 for Back-talking/ Not adding to the conversation/ Detracting from the OP's intent.

Oh noes a -1 from some dude on the internet oh noes my rep! :lolol:

Go back and read. The question is framed around "SHTF" and the long range and up close are obviously for "social work".

I don't care either way really, I just find it funny. Sorry I brought a little bit of reality into the fantasy world of the internet tactical warriors.

:lolol:

Yeah, 7.62x39 is a great choice for that role though.

• Like 1

I'm just a enthusiast who finds it hillarious. Go shine your quad rail or something bro.

-1 for Back-talking/ Not adding to the conversation/ Detracting from the OP's intent.

Oh noes a -1 from some dude on the internet oh noes my rep! :lolol:

Go back and read. The question is framed around "SHTF" and the long range and up close are obviously for "social work".

I don't care either way really, I just find it funny. Sorry I brought a little bit of reality into the fantasy world of the internet tactical warriors.

:lolol:

Yeah, 7.62x39 is a great choice for that role though.

You sir are a trouble maker. Ive dispatched a team of tactical internet commando's to your location, even as you read this, they are climbing down your chimney with UTG rails and flashlights at the ready. You will rue the day you messed with the internet....

That being said, please stop saying the same stupid shit in thread after thread. No one thinks its funny, cute or amusing.

just my :2c:

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 3

Wow! How special! I usually stay out of these forum pissing contests, but...here I go.

I bet you giggle a lot reading this forum. Maybe you are also doing something else t yourself that makes you giggle. Somehow I don't think we are breeding homicidal maniacs here. I seriously doubt if any (well, maybe a few do) of the folks here are expecting any of the following: SHTF, EOTWAWKI, Cuban paratroopers, Jack booted federalist new world order thugs, flesh eating zombies, etc. Go over to Storm Front or one of those boards to find those guys. They will enjoy your sense of humor. Enjoying shooting and military style rifles is not a bad thing. On the Mil-surps board I frequent, there are a lot of 50, 60, and 70 year olds who have "been to see the elephant" and still like M1 Carbine, BARs, Thompsons, Reisings, M3 Greaseguns, etc. I happen to know that a fair number of them like AKs and ARs, too.

Oh, by the way, I do plan to use my weapons to terminate any lethal threat with extreme prejudice if it becomes necessary. Of course, I am used to that idea because I was in the military 5 years and a full time LEO for over 20 years. Consider that my weapons are for home/farm protection and occasional hunting and target shooting. I even managed to run off a car load of goblins set on pillaging my acres in the Sierras in the middle of the night, just by showing up on my porch with a loaded USGI WW2 M1 carbine. They decided they did not want to play anymore and departed hastily without a shot being fired in anger. You know what, it didn't even bother me that I didn't get a chance to shoot, either! Less paperwork, too.

Edited by imarangemaster
  • Like 1

Wow! How special! I usually stay out of these forum pissing contests, but...here I go.

I bet you giggle a lot reading this forum. Maybe you are also doing something else t yourself that makes you giggle. Somehow I don't think we are breeding homicidal maniacs here. I seriously doubt if any (well, maybe a few do) of the folks here are expecting any of the following: SHTF, EOTWAWKI, Cuban paratroopers, Jack booted federalist new world order thugs, flesh eating zombies, etc. Go over to Storm Front or one of those boards to find those guys. They will enjoy your sense of humor. Enjoying shooting and military style rifles is not a bad thing. On the Mil-surps board I frequent, there are a lot of 50, 60, and 70 year olds who have "been to see the elephant" and still like M1 Carbine, BARs, Thompsons, Reisings, M3 Greaseguns, etc. I happen to know that a fair number of them like AKs and ARs, too.

Oh, by the way, I do plan to use my weapons to terminate any lethal threat with extreme prejudice if it becomes necessary. Of course, I am used to that idea because I was in the military 5 years and a full time LEO for over 20 years. Consider that my weapons are for home/farm protection and occasional hunting and target shooting. I even managed to run off a car load of goblins set on pillaging my acres in the Sierras in the middle of the night, just by showing up on my porch with a loaded USGI WW2 M1 carbine. They decided they did not want to play anymore and departed hastily without a shot being fired in anger. You know what, it didn't even bother me that I didn't get a chance to shoot, either! Less paperwork, too.

I like military guns too. I like shooting too. I like hunting too.

Lets make a bet. I bet I can find more links to SHTF situations than you can links that disprove the possibility of them. You think its fantasy?

you can analyze all day long t3mac. But you are not our local social worker/phyc doc. You are the only one talking about murdering people. What does that say about you?

The OP suggested defending himself against marauders. IE: criminals, thieves, threats to your life and family. Do you believe defending ones life against a lethal threat is murder? Maybe you found your way onto the wrong board. Let me help direct you to the tree huger hippie boards.

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 1

SHTF...a fantasy? Here in Florida we are just one Cat 4 or 5 away from it. Exposed peninsula, no way to evacuate to safety, unless you do so 4 or 5 days early.

Anyone who doesn't believe that the "rules" can be suspended for a few days, maybe a week, or even longer, they are living in a fantasy. Civilization is a mighty thin veneer. Be it a natural or a man made disaster, even a short duration of anarchy would be hard to survive with a baseball bat. Unless you get surrounded by a baseball team, and they want to play a game or 2.

• Like 3

LOL....Lemme see ....twist/distort and flat out lie. Liberal...yup.....if it looks/walks and smells like a duck it is a duck.

So you have no life I see.....gonna go on gun forums and troll are we? What Rosie O'Donnel and the girls dont do it for you anymore?

I am 6'2" 255lb's of the anti Bro son.....By the way....hillarious is spelled hilarious. I learned how to spell it in 3rd grade.

The internet is a wonderful tool. Folks can share and communicate in a wide variety of subjects. Trolls like you are a side bar phenom that I will never understand. Don't care. I think your pretty much done here anyway.

See you Nov 2nd.........

• Like 1