I need advice/help

I've had my S 12 for almost a year, and I still can't get it to cycle cheap bulk low brass. I've tried everything I could find out. I bought a gunfixers gas plug, a reduced power recoil spring, I've polished the bolt, carrier, and hammer, I enlarged the 3 gas ports from 5/64 to 3/32, and several other minor adjustments.

I guess my question is, am I missing anything that would help, or do I need to just bite the bullet and shoot lots of high brass to break it in?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Has it performed any better or worse since installing the magwell? I mean did that effect cycling?

Is your gas block partially blocking your ports?

What kind of puck are you running in it? They do make some that work more efficiently in problem guns.

What kind of low brass ammo? It's not Winchester Universal is it? Some guns just plain hate that stuff. Mine will run it but it's a 4 holer with lots of mods....

• Like 1

I took off the magwell so I could use a drum, but neither affected it either way. I just have FTEs.

When I took off the gas block the ports weren't blocked from what I've seen in other threads.

I use the Etac twister puck standard.

Winchester super X game loads and cheap independence.

If it is the gun in your Avatar, you may want to try pulling the top of your quad rail off the gun. Just a hunch.

Will try that right now, thanks.

Another example of someone trying to something other than what the weapon was designed for.

How does it shoot full power ammo?

My guess is flawlessly.

It is glorious with full power ammo.

I just don't want to spray that much money in my backyard.

Try the Federal bulkpack for shit's and giggles. The gun really wasn't designed to shoot birdshot for entertainment value. Now don't get me wrong, if you can get it to run it is a barrel of laughs, but not the intent of the platform.

It's sort of like going four wheeling with a metro. Fun, yes. Following the original intent of the vehicle, not so much.

• Like 1

:up:

If it is the gun in your Avatar, you may want to try pulling the top of your quad rail off the gun. Just a hunch.

Well that worked wonderfully! :up:

Thanks! I'll be sure to get a different forearm as soon as I can.

It that a well known problem?

I did a write up on it here. Post #13 in the thread. There is a video to go along with the post.

So far only one quad rail manufacturer seems to have figured out that mounting a rail directly over the gas block conducts energy away from the piston - acting as a damper.

There are some very good tri rails (lower handguard) available from forum vendors. If you like a railed handguard, one of those might just do the trick.

• Like 6

I did a write up on it here. Post #13 in the thread. There is a video to go along with the post.

So far only one quad rail manufacturer seems to have figured out that mounting a rail directly over the gas block conducts energy away from the piston - acting as a damper.

There are some very good tri rails (lower handguard) available from forum vendors. If you like a railed handguard, one of those might just do the trick.

Awesome, thanks.

A lot of the tri rails look nice, but do you know if chaos fixed this problem in their rails?

Nevermind, just got to that part.

Will be buying a set with the new sights as soon as wachovia gets off their asses and processes my check.

Thank you so much, I don't think I ever would have figured that out on my own.

Edited by KillDozer
  • Like 2

Awesome, thanks.

A lot of the tri rails look nice, but do you know if chaos fixed this problem in their rails?

Nevermind, just got to that part.

Will be buying a set with the new sights as soon as wachovia gets off their asses and processes my check.

Thank you so much, I don't think I ever would have figured that out on my own.

My pleasure. If you liked the advice, please click +1;)

Mike

• Like 9

Mike was the first to make the quad-rail connection I believe.

• Like 1

i had the same problem. i have a 3 port gun i didnt drill the ports though, bought the gunfixrs plug and broke the gun in right using many rounds of buck,slug,hi brass. then i got the twister puck. i tryed shooting the cheap shit walmart 100rnd boxes of federal winchester remington. FTE...FTE...FTE even on setting 3. so i took out the twister puck and put the factory puck back in now its throwin that cheap shit like a mother fucker bam no more FTEs. try that bro it might help.

• Like 2

not to bag on the twister puck, it does what it supposed to. but it might be undersized by a cunt hair allowing gas to escape hense not enough pressure to throw the weak loads. since u bought it anyway use it on the larger loads. but use the factory puck on the weak walmart shit dont go smaller than 2 3/4 1 1/8oz 7,8 shot but thats just me. good luck

• Like 1

not to bag on the twister puck, it does what it supposed to. but it might be undersized by a cunt hair allowing gas to escape hense not enough pressure to throw the weak loads. since u bought it anyway use it on the larger loads. but use the factory puck on the weak walmart shit dont go smaller than 2 3/4 1 1/8oz 7,8 shot but thats just me. good luck

Thanks, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Once it completely seized up when I was using really dirty ammo, I took out the twister puck and it was solid black.

O well, it's really nice with regular buckshot though.

Is there any way to let people know that the UTG quad rail may be the source of their gun malfunctioning?

I was lurking through the post your saiga 12 thread, and there were lots with UTG's, and many with an added complaint that they couldn't get it to cycle well.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way to let people know that the UTG quad rail may be the source of their gun malfunctioning?

I was lurking through the post your saiga 12 thread, and there were lots with UTG's, and many with an added complaint that they couldn't get it to cycle well.

I just noticed the Product Reviews sub-forum, which I believe is new(?). Ever since I first started here I've thought that there should at least be a sticky listing the products/accessories available for Saiga's, particularly the Saiga 12, with reviews from members. I think I said something to that effect in one of my early posts because I was TOTALLY new to all of this(I knew practically nothing about shotguns or AKs!). So trying to sort through all of the technical information on this forum was overwhelming and has been the source of much frustration and head-aching. :wacko: Of course there is a wealth of valuable information here that you will not find anywhere else, but that in my opinion is one of the major problems with the web in general: It is a source of practically unlimited knowledge, but the problem comes in trying to sort through it all to separate the misinformation and obsolete info from the accurate and relevant information that answers your particular questions. :google: Perhaps that's what this sub-forum is meant for or potentially could be? I think this could be very useful for everyone learning about Saigas and the available accessories when trying to plan their first conversion, so I think this would be a good way to start it off!

Product Reviews: This forum contains reviews of the products and options available on market for AK/Saiga weapon platform.

Edited by GuyFoX