WASR 10/63 7.62x39mm

Here are a couple photographs of my Romanian manufactured WASR model 10/63 rifle chambered in 7.62x39mm. This is a single stack magazine only adaptation, marketed as a hunting/sporting configuration. Does not include threaded barrel, flash surpressor, or a bayonet lug either. Imported by Century Arms Inc, this model has not been modified by grinding out the mag well with a dremel tool. Receiver indicates firearm was manufactured in 1983.

wasr.jpg

wasr01.jpg

wasr02.jpg

wasr05.jpg

wasrtarget.jpg

Not any overly impressive grouping by any means but 23/24 hits and nearly every hit is a fatal shot. Hope to improve next time at the range.

No plans for modifications or alterations at this point. Wouldn't mind finding some affordable additional magazines. Do any AK enthusists/experts know what type of wood is used for the Dragunov stock and foregrip? I am just curious.

Edited by yq397r

Receiver indicates firearm was manufactured in 1983.

Receiver? Don't you mean the barrel trunnion? Your WASR was produced sometime after 1995 from some parts made in 1983.

Wouldn't mind finding some affordable additional magazines.

Talk to the Century monkeys - they're sitting on thousands of 'em.

Iam getting a near exact model to that, except mines a double stack taker right from the shelf. Same wood style, I dont know what its made from, the shoulder stock seemed a bit short (looked like a kids gun when I was aiming.

Iam getting a near exact model to that, except mines a double stack taker right from the shelf. Same wood style, I dont know what its made from, the shoulder stock seemed a bit short (looked like a kids gun when I was aiming.

The "short stock" is known as "Warsaw length".

The Russians/Europeans are a smaller people than we are.

That would explain it, thanks Nalioth.

It's not hard to grind out the magwell on these, which allows you to accept standard "hi-cap" military mags. But that opens up the 922r can of worms and means you'll have to replace some parts with US ones. I don't know a source for the mags but Century must be sitting on a pile of them as they are the primary importer/converter.

The wood is basic laminate. It's not as nicely finished as the Russian laminate but otherwise very durable and you can always refinish it yourself. Romania used a lot of Birch, I believe, but god knows what the laminate is actually from.

You should actually have a threaded muzzle under the muzzle nut, but the nut is probably tack welded on. Your front bayo lug has been ground off. This is a pretty typical model from the pre-sunset days.

Looks like a nice rifle. I have a double stack version Do you live in a state that doesn't allow you to have double stack AK's? That grouping isn't that bad actually.

Not really. The average American is 5'10 where the average Russian 5'9. The short stocks are probably because of winter coats.

Edited by Ermac

Looks like a nice rifle. I have a double stack version Do you live in a state that doesn't allow you to have double stack AK's? That grouping isn't that bad actually.

Not really. The average American is 5'10 where the average Russian 5'9. The short stocks are probably because of winter coats.

Beat me to it. I lived in Europe for nine years, never noticed a difference in people size. Also spent a great deal of time on temporary duty in several Eastern Bloc countries and wasn't a problem for me to find uniform items that fit me and I'm 5'10".

I'm 6'1" with orangutan arms. The Warsaw stock doesn't really "fit" me when using a traditional offhand rifle stance. Still, I use a Warsaw stock because it makes the weapon that much shorter, i.e. more portable and maneuverable. Also, its length allows a shooter to use a squared-shoulder "carbine stance", and comfortably fire aimed shots while moving.

ymmv.