S308 (Threading of Janis..)

I learned today taking off the FSB is like 2-3 minutes..

My 21" S308 has the barrel end that looks like this..

post-8775-025221900 1280835102_thumb.jpg

and NOT this (with sleeved end)

post-8775-072892700 1280835170_thumb.jpg

I took a small brad and tapped the 2 roll pins out (from bolt handle side).. then I merely twisted the FSB with my hand and slid it off.

post-8775-058691300 1280835031_thumb.jpg

post-8775-043420000 1280835046_thumb.jpg

So my S308 even with the 'newer' end design is NOT threaded... :cryss:

There is a full 1 3/8" of 'turned down' barrel I can play with..

Now I need some calipers to measure this.. and see what I can thread it to?? Hoping 5/8 or 14mm.

Keep you all posted.. (this may take awhile)

Al

Ok.. well its .671 OD.

Thats 17mm for the threading.. I found an adaptor from a dealer for 17 to 24 threading also..

I was really hoping it was 5/8"...

The other problem is the distance from the bbl end to the first notch with the front site back on leaves only 9/16-5/8" for threading when I align the second notch in the bbl with the 1st (front) pin hole on the site block..

post-8775-008681100 1280878612_thumb.jpg

Whats the NORMAL depth for regular 24mm brakes and F-Hiders?? Is it 9/16" - 5/8" ..

Nevermind Dinzags site says normal AK barrels have 9/16" in front of this site tower.. :super:

So I have a nice 24m Flashider here.. but the depth on that is a little over 1" deep.. :cryss:

Off to email Dinzag.. on the 24m flashider depth issue..

Keep you all posted..

Jim Digriz..

Dinzags site says to measure under the FSB on the .223's.. Yours may come off easy like mine.. Just take it easy on the pins and you can reuse them.

Albert

Okay.. I rented the threading kit from DZag for 17m today..

I also have come up with a BRAKE design I like..

Its the AR10 Stoner Heli Design one.. Its 5/8" but can be bored to 17m.. DZag ROCKS.. :super:

post-8775-074883300 1280923248_thumb.jpg

Thread this week coming, and order the brake by next week.. with some more ammo.. :killer:

Will be posting a pictorial or maybe video on the threading.. Never done it before...:cryss:

Albert

superbee.. thanks man..

ordered the threading kit today.. do that in the upcoming week..

ordering the Stoner AR10 Brake (above) this Friday also thru Dinzag.. then he will mod' up for me.. :super:

My first thread job...:cryss: oh boy...

Al

Ordered the rental kit from DinZag Thursday in the AM.. got it today in the mail. :super:

Threading was simple as he sends it to you ready to go 'out the box'. Takes about 1/2 hour or so..

Heres the pictorial..

Just go slow.. 1/8 - 1/6 turn and back it up.. when you get further along.. back it up all the way sometimes to clear the DONE threads.

I took mine 1/4" past where the FSB would be sitting when re-assembled.. just in case ya know.. :smoke:

Was VERY easy.. the tap jumped right on.. and away I went.. almost by accident..

post-8775-059229300 1281402529_thumb.jpg

post-8775-052344600 1281402537_thumb.jpg

After this PIC I removed the TAT alignment tool as not to damage it.. 4-6 threads in per instructions..

post-8775-025670900 1281402545_thumb.jpg

post-8775-043382900 1281402553_thumb.jpg

half way there.....

post-8775-074639000 1281402559_thumb.jpg

post-8775-095366100 1281402566_thumb.jpg

post-8775-005748900 1281402575_thumb.jpg

Watch for the little tiny pieces of steel on the floor.. (barefeet alert.. :lolol: )

Now I wait for the Stoner AR10 brake..

Al

Okay.. I rented the threading kit from DZag for 17m today..

I also have come up with a BRAKE design I like..

Its the AR10 Stoner Heli Design one.. Its 5/8" but can be bored to 17m.. DZag ROCKS.. :super:

post-8775-074883300 1280923248_thumb.jpg

Thread this week coming, and order the brake by next week.. with some more ammo.. :killer:

Will be posting a pictorial or maybe video on the threading.. Never done it before...:cryss:

Albert

Are you doing this only for looks or trying to control the recoil as well?

Do you thinkg its possible to just ream the end that needs to overlap the bbl with a dremel for that 1/2" that needs go on 'deeper'??

I didn't have the FSB with the 'cap-ped end' and it only seems like a 'hair' to remove from the ID for about 1/2"...

Not going to re-crown it.. don't have the tools..

Its threaded back about 1" currently.. past the 5/8" needed for the brake I have coming in..

AL

Right, Dizag has the tool to recrown, I guarantee you, you will thank me if you do it......

Just my 2 cents

Gonna pin the brake with small 'hidden' screws and weld over the pins like Klassy Did on his 5.45..

Brake due to DinZag hopefully Tuesday from Midway.. I figure a week or two and it will be all done..

I'll do awrite up on my PIN-ing when I do it also superbee..

Al

Gonna pin the brake with small 'hidden' screws and weld over the pins like Klassy Did on his 5.45..

Brake due to DinZag hopefully Tuesday from Midway.. I figure a week or two and it will be all done..

I'll do awrite up on my PIN-ing when I do it also superbee..

Al

Ok cool...I was gonna offer to do it for you if you needed...When i did mine for my AR i predrilled a 3/32 hole in the bottom of the brake, screwd it down to where i needed it,then ran the bit thru the brake to indicate on barrel. Removed the brake drilled down around .060 droped in a piece of 3/32 316L S/S TIG wire and TIG welded closed. polished it up and blued....Cant see where i did it!!!! :) Cause i'm good like that!!!

OK, ya got me wanting to redo my S.308-ver.21.

It has the sleeved FSB, I popped it off tonite, and under the FSB the barrel measures, 0.0671 OD

So, thats 17x1 RH threading.

Dang, I wanted to mount this comp, (Thread Pitch: 5/8x24RH) http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=127&idcategory=6

Anyone know where to find a 17 - 5/8 adapter?

I'll want to crown the muzzle.

DinZag has a barrel tool MUZZLE CUTTER

http://dinzagarms.com/tools/mcr.html

that can reduce the OD of your barrel to be 5/8".. He rents it out.. RPMs under 250 and preferrable to be in a vise or/and using a drill press I'd imagine.

Get it down to 5/8" and then just thread it and go... Nice Comp choice btw..

Or go 17m and email Brian 1st to see if he can bore that Comp to 17m like he is doing for me on my Brake..

For me this is a 1 shot deal so going 17m was the more econmical choice..

Al

superbee.. thanks for the offer.. Going to do the same thing to mine pretty much..

you say you have a Tig Welder??

maybe you can TIG this for me..?? and then we can have a few :beer: on me..

Just sent DinZag the FSB to be 'honed' out to be slid back on the barrel a little easier..

I should have the New Brake and FSB back in a few weeks.. no rush really as it saves me ammo :dollar:

Al

Small update.. Brian got my FSB to 'hone' out for me, and the muzzle brake also in from Midway for me to make 17m threaded.

He said about a week or so :super:

Found a factory S308 wood handguard also.. :super:

Should hopefully all be in by next weekend..

superbee... do you have a TIG welder?? (gonna do the hidden screw underneath but want to TIG weld a drop over the screw)..

Al

Small update.. Brian got my FSB to 'hone' out for me, and the muzzle brake also in from Midway for me to make 17m threaded.

He said about a week or so :super:

Found a factory S308 wood handguard also.. :super:

Should hopefully all be in by next weekend..

superbee... do you have a TIG welder?? (gonna do the hidden screw underneath but want to TIG weld a drop over the screw)..

Al

I sure do....Well actually where i work we have about 15 of them....LOL....Yea man no problem i will take care of for you....I'm a welder/fabricator......Not one of those(oh yea man i'm a welder)...I mean i'm a REAL welder Not someone with a buzz box or a 110v mig welder in there garage...Do you need any certs before i do it for you??? LOL

I have got to get of my ass and do this as well, this is the comp/FH I am going to use, if I can achieve the 5/8-24 thread.

post-15672-061562900 1282141604_thumb.jpg

"The popular Phantom Flash Suppressor has been redesigned to work with your .308 rifle as a muzzle compensator while maintaining the excellent flash hiding capabilities of its predecessor. This 5 port design has no downward facing port which helps eliminate dust problems when shooting in the prone position. The 5C2 keeps the aggressive front end used in hand to hand situations. For barrels threaded with 5/8"-24 only. Includes crush washer."

Edited by mav