S12 wooden AK setup

OK so I'm tired of doing research. Maybe someone who already knows the answer can fill me in.

I have a brand new stock Saiga 12 with the black synthetic crap. I am doing the trigger conversion on it soon. My goal is for it to look like a stock AK.

I saw the deal that Dinzag has going. Nice stuff, but I'm not paying 300 bucks and waiting 12 weeks. So I'll do all the work myself if I can find the right pieces to the puzzle........which is where I need input from you guys.

What parts do I need and what work do I have to do in order to fit standard AK wood foregrip/handguard/buttstock? Obviously the pistol grip will fit right on as soon as I move my trigger - that's not a problem.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike - NJ

A buttstock for a stamped reciever will slide right in. (maybe a little fitting needed) The handguards I know there was a forum member working on a set up for this and I'm not sure if there is one for you to buy. There are other members who know much more about and will fill you in. There is a lot of info on this forum if you haven't tried searching here. Also, welcome to the addiction.

OK so I'm tired of doing research. Maybe someone who already knows the answer can fill me in.

I have a brand new stock Saiga 12 with the black synthetic crap. I am doing the trigger conversion on it soon. My goal is for it to look like a stock AK.

I saw the deal that Dinzag has going. Nice stuff, but I'm not paying 300 bucks and waiting 12 weeks. So I'll do all the work myself if I can find the right pieces to the puzzle........which is where I need input from you guys.

What parts do I need and what work do I have to do in order to fit standard AK wood foregrip/handguard/buttstock? Obviously the pistol grip will fit right on as soon as I move my trigger - that's not a problem.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike - NJ

Keep in mind that you're going to need to cut on your factory gas tube's RSB.

You halve it horizontally & weld it to a fitted AK RSB

To do it right, you'll need;

1- a wood set (of course),

2- a lower handguard retainer (You can mod an AK one, or buy Dinzag's)

3- an AK RSB

4 an AK gas tube (to cannibalize the upper retainers off of)

5 the ability to weld (Tig's best, but gas, MIG or ARC work too) & correctly finish steel.

The Lower handguard will need to be reamed out to fit the S-12 barrel. the rear piece that slips into the receiver will also need to be made thinner.

You can buy one of Dinzag's lower retainers.

If you choose to make your own... Take an AK lower retainer & heat it to bright cherry red with a torch, then let it cool. This will anneal the steel & make it malleable without snapping on you. If you fail to do this, you may snap it while working on it, as the steel is brittle.

You cut the front of the retainer flush, & make it U shaped so it fits around the barrel.

Then;

Find a piece of steel. (I used scraps from converting the gun & cut a strip from them)

Make a strip of steel about the same width as the bottom of the gas block where the factory handguard screws in.

fit everything up so you know it'll all fit right, then remove it from the gun & weld the strip to the bottom of the hand guard retainer that you modified.

fit it back up, find where you need to drill the hole to screw it to where the lower handguard screwed in & drill it.

If your lower retainer doesn't have a sling loop, take the one that came on your factory handguard & weld it to the retainer that you just made.

Next the tricky parts...

---------------------------------------------------------

For your upper;

Take a factory AK tube, drill the spot welds that hold the retainers, cut the tube, whatever.. You are only after the retainers. The tube wouldn't work in the gun anyhow.

Remove the gas tube by drifting the gas block forward.

Once removed, you're going to drill the upper spot weld(s) & cut down the center of the factory RSB horizontally & get the tpo of the factory RSB off of the tube.

Then cut your AK RSB to fit in front of & on top of the factory part, then weld it all together, so the lug at the bottom of your factory RSB will still lock in as it used to & the top of your AK RSB wraps from the top, to front of the factory RSB & make it 1 part. You'll need to grind the inside of the new RSB a touch to make it all fit.

------------------------------------------------------------

Now take the upper retainers that you made & fit the rear one... Weld in place inside out of sight. Leave a little meat on the front till you know how your HG will fit.

Then piece it all together.

It's gonna be a bitch, but it's a hobby & if that's what you like....

You WILL NEED to buy Dinzag's raised FSB though, because an AK RSB is so much taller than an S-12 RSB....

While you're at it, you can play with putting a dinzag AK-74 style break on.

Good luck & have fun.

When you get all the parts, it'll be obvious what you need to do.

It's gonna a long process though.

Dinzag's not stroking you on price.

It's going to take time if you want to do it right & retain resale value.

• Like 1

Unless you plan on moving out of Morristown, you can't (legally) put a pistol grip on your S-12.

iii. A semi-automatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of six rounds; and/or

(4) An ability to accept a detachable magazine;

EDIT: As for the front end, Paulyski beat me to it. His info for the front end is spot on, read what he said :D

I would suggest, if you really want to go wood, do the front with Paulski's method, and then get a Saiga-308 wooden buttstock for the rear. It's a birch hardwood stock with what looks like a light, matte finish "cherry" maybe, stain, and wouldn't be too hard at all to match to front handguards that you refinish as well.

Keep in mind that you're going to need to cut on your factory gas tube's RSB.

You halve it horizontally & weld it to a fitted AK RSB

To do it right, you'll need;

1- a wood set (of course),

2- a lower handguard retainer (You can mod an AK one, or buy Dinzag's)

3- an AK RSB

4 an AK gas tube (to cannibalize the upper retainers off of)

5 the ability to weld (Tig's best, but gas, MIG or ARC work too) & correctly finish steel.

The Lower handguard will need to be reamed out to fit the S-12 barrel. the rear piece that slips into the receiver will also need to be made thinner.

You can buy one of Dinzag's lower retainers.

If you choose to make your own... Take an AK lower retainer & heat it to bright cherry red with a torch, then let it cool. This will anneal the steel & make it malleable without snapping on you. If you fail to do this, you may snap it while working on it, as the steel is brittle.

You cut the front of the retainer flush, & make it U shaped so it fits around the barrel.

Then;

Find a piece of steel. (I used scraps from converting the gun & cut a strip from them)

Make a strip of steel about the same width as the bottom of the gas block where the factory handguard screws in.

fit everything up so you know it'll all fit right, then remove it from the gun & weld the strip to the bottom of the hand guard retainer that you modified.

fit it back up, find where you need to drill the hole to screw it to where the lower handguard screwed in & drill it.

If your lower retainer doesn't have a sling loop, take the one that came on your factory handguard & weld it to the retainer that you just made.

Next the tricky parts...

---------------------------------------------------------

For your upper;

Take a factory AK tube, drill the spot welds that hold the retainers, cut the tube, whatever.. You are only after the retainers. The tube wouldn't work in the gun anyhow.

Remove the gas tube by drifting the gas block forward.

Once removed, you're going to drill the upper spot weld(s) & cut down the center of the factory RSB horizontally & get the tpo of the factory RSB off of the tube.

Then cut your AK RSB to fit in front of & on top of the factory part, then weld it all together, so the lug at the bottom of your factory RSB will still lock in as it used to & the top of your AK RSB wraps from the top, to front of the factory RSB & make it 1 part. You'll need to grind the inside of the new RSB a touch to make it all fit.

------------------------------------------------------------

Now take the upper retainers that you made & fit the rear one... Weld in place inside out of sight. Leave a little meat on the front till you know how your HG will fit.

Then piece it all together.

It's gonna be a bitch, but it's a hobby & if that's what you like....

You WILL NEED to buy Dinzag's raised FSB though, because an AK RSB is so much taller than an S-12 RSB....

While you're at it, you can play with putting a dinzag AK-74 style break on.

Good luck & have fun.

When you get all the parts, it'll be obvious what you need to do.

It's gonna a long process though.

Dinzag's not stroking you on price.

It's going to take time if you want to do it right & retain resale value.

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov

Paulyski - Thanks for the awesome response. I got some work to do........

Classy K - Good lookin out on that one. Though I am fully aware of NJ commy gun law. I hunt/shoot in NJ, NY, and PA. I have multiple setups for all my guns depending on where I'll be. Keeps it fresh too. It's like a wife that constantly changes her hair color - makes it almost feel like a new broad :)

xxxpez - Yup....another gun addiction. Add it to the list haha. You guys will be seeing more of me around here. I been reading posts for about a month and just picked up the Saiga last week. I'll be spending some good time on that before I take on my next project - weakside charging bolt action AR10 for PA hunting. But that's for a different forum and a different time of year. Gotta keep the focus on the Saiga for now.

I wouldn't want to get into all the welding and such, I like stuff I can do in my garage with regular tools

A lot of us here have machining & welding capabilities.

I personally have a Victor oxy-acetylene outfit (J-100 & HD-310), a MIG outfit, an ARC outfit, a TIG outfit & a plasma cutter.

The tools are all regular & in my garage.

My favorite part of the A-Team was always when BA would make the cool rigs to beat the bad-guys at the end of each episode...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqZVRoIoMfQ&feature=related

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 1

Classy K - Good lookin out on that one. Though I am fully aware of NJ commy gun law. I hunt/shoot in NJ, NY, and PA. I have multiple setups for all my guns depending on where I'll be. Keeps it fresh too. It's like a wife that constantly changes her hair color - makes it almost feel like a new broad :)

Also, for wooden S-12 setup, I have to say my favorite would be the Russian wood furniture setup they have on rusmilitary. Some guy on here did his like that and I think it's absolutely awesome. If I could have my S-12 any way it would be with that wood setup below, plus an AK front sight tower for better slug shooting and an extended mag release. You should look into that too.

post-21696-099703400 1281476995_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov
  • Like 1

Also, for wooden S-12 setup, I have to say my favorite would be the Russian wood furniture setup they have on rusmilitary. Some guy on here did his like that and I think it's absolutely awesome. If I could have my S-12 any way it would be with that wood setup below, plus an AK front sight tower for better slug shooting and an extended mag release. You should look into that too.

post-21696-099703400%201281476995_thumb.jpeg

Max, the owner of this forum has a setup like that I believe.

My HG does get rather hot when I dump 100 rounds real quick. I bet that setup doesn't have that issue as much.

But I really do like how the exposed gas block adds to the authentic AK look.

post-21696-099703400%201281476995_thumb.jpeg

Max, the owner of this forum has a setup like that I believe.

My HG does get rather hot when I dump 100 rounds real quick. I bet that setup doesn't have that issue as much.

But I really do like how the exposed gas block adds to the authentic AK look.

Have you checked out the "Donkey Dong" Romanian wood handguards with the vertical grip? That might help a lot, not sure if you like vertical grips or not though (I love them especially the "Donkey Dong" ones) but since everyone else hates them they're easy to get online for like $10, and you could refinish one to look like the rest of your wood and swap when you feel like it.

wired and 1liter -

how did you guys set up those 2 rigs? i like both ideas and i may just pick one of those to build.......

I like mine a lot. The Galil forend is different and gets looks wherever I shoot. To do that you need a .308 Galil forend adapter, repro Galil wood and a tromix galil adapter. The grip is a Yugo M76 piece which don't grow on trees but Ironwood designs has knockoffs.

post-21696-099703400 1281476995_thumb.jpeg

Does the handguard "slip" right on without any mods? I could use that for my russian red and leave my folder on as is.....Tony at Tromix made my S12 BADASS.....

post-22193-095515300 1281960947_thumb.jpg

SP- That roosky furniture would look amazing on that tromix w/the folder!

I am hoping to buy the setup that Classy posted and have it done deep red....does anyone know if the one from Russianmilitary.com slips right on....or do I need to modify something (only using the handguard and pistol grip)

post-22193-015678500 1282069938_thumb.jpg

I am hoping to buy the setup that Classy posted and have it done deep red....does anyone know if the one from Oleg slips right on....or do I need to modify something (only using the handguard and pistol grip)

That's all slip on. Oleg mods the butstock to work, the PG & foregrip are made for the S-12

Edited by Paulyski

I am hoping to buy the setup that Classy posted and have it done deep red....does anyone know if the one from Russianmilitary.com slips right on....or do I need to modify something (only using the handguard and pistol grip)

That's all slip on. Oleg mods the butstock to work, the PG & foregrip are made for the S-12

Cool...no brackets or hardware.....nice

I am hoping to buy the setup that Classy posted and have it done deep red....does anyone know if the one from Oleg slips right on....or do I need to modify something (only using the handguard and pistol grip)

Exactly.

But you have to watch his site like a hawk. He sells out of everything quick & I doubt he even knows when he's about to get a "delivery" at times.

All of a sudden, he just has stuff in stock.

Edited by Paulyski

Exactly.

But you have to watch his site like a hawk. He sells out of everything quick & I doubt he even knows when he's about to get a "delivery" at times.

Currently in stock! Gotta bleed some money out of the wife......strip it and make it deep red.....

$210.00 plus shipping....Outrageous price.....Any ideas on a cheaper place?

Edited by Saiga Power

Exactly.

Currently in stock! Gotta bleed some money out of the wife......strip it and make it deep red.....

Anyone know of an alternative that wont hurt the wallet as much?

I got my oak furniture from Battle Rifle G3. $150.00 and I believe that included shipping. Unfinished but ready to slip on. I stained one golden, for the "black & Tan" look I like so well, thanks Cobra :)

And one I stained "Sedona Red", AND that looks very nice as well. I like to do as much work myself, and reaping the sweat equity.

For my .410, I intend to go cheap and purchased a 3 piece used set from CenterFire Arms for about $12.00. AK buttstock,PG, and foregrip. However, I probabily will keep the Factory foregrip installed, to me it does't have the same "cheap feel" as the factory buttstock.post-10869-016693100 1282424509_thumb.jpg

I've been too lazy to do all the gas tube / RSB work & the open tube look has grown on me.

I'll eventually get around to it & have all the parts & welders, just not the motivation.

I used Take-off stocks.

You can get them really cheap & make'em work.

I did a 2 week long process (drying time) with red mahogany to match my PG & I believe mine looks much better than the set from the UK.

MUCH cheaper too.

Done1.jpg

AllMags1.jpg

S-129mmtargets25yds.jpg

ETA my process...

I didn't expect PMs so quick.

Repost from a while ago...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=22809&view=findpost&p=535029

To match my finish, Sand it all down to bare wood. Make sure there's no old color or varnish, or it' won't absorb the new.

Finish-sand it down last with at least 240 grit.

Then take Minwax Red Mohogany stain & put a really heavy coat on it, then let it hang & dry for a couple days Then softly wipe off the excess. Add another coat & let it dry at least a week. Buff it, removing the really, thick areas with the finest steel wool you can find.

Then get Minwax helmsman high gloss Spar Urethane in a spray can. Spray a rather heavy coat (but not enough to form drip marks) & let it dry for around 2 weeks....

S6300528.jpg

That's it.

This can be done with any condition, or mix & match takeoff stocks, being as you sand it to bare wood first.

Also, if you're concerned about it being shiny & not "tactically covert"... The Russian Takeoff stocks have 2 holes in the rear.

One has a spring & is for your cleaning kit. The trap-door on the plate lines up with it.

The other is exposed when you remove the but-stock's plate.

This hidden hole can be used to store course steel wool, to turn the gloss finish into matte in a couple minuets....

Edited by Paulyski

I got my oak furniture from Battle Rifle G3. $150.00 and I believe that included shipping. Unfinished but ready to slip on. I stained one golden, for the "black & Tan" look I like so well, thanks Cobra :)

And one I stained "Sedona Red", AND that looks very nice as well. I like to do as much work myself, and reaping the sweat equity.

For my .410, I intend to go cheap and purchased a 3 piece used set from CenterFire Arms for about $12.00. AK buttstock,PG, and foregrip. However, I probabily will keep the Factory foregrip installed, to me it does't have the same "cheap feel" as the factory buttstock.post-10869-016693100 1282424509_thumb.jpg

I've PM'd and emailed him.....no response yet....I understand he does this on the side now and is very busy