Which Russian Red dot ?

I would go for this one;

post-8026-068242600%201282940245_thumb.jpg

For you other guys, the hand guard is made to look like a Dragunov's, but it's made for the S-12

It's a Legion... A REALLY high end factory S-12.

(Or a GREAT clone of one.)

I'm thinking the same thing

The hand guard is a Dragunov made to fit the s12 by legion :exciting:

For you other guys, the hand guard is made to look like a Dragunov's, but it's made for the S-12

Aren't you the guy who did the hinged cover S-12 shorty?

If so, are you planning to clone a Legion?

I don't know nuttin :nothing:

Yes I did a s12-SU and a saiga s12K spetsnaz-3

I would post pics but it looks like the administrator has me locked out :grimace: who knows why?

Looking over your choices again, I don't see why you would want the PK-AS. The elevation cam is wasted on a shotgun. You don't really need the multiple reticles on the Kobra either, since you are not shooting for distance/precision. If those are your three choices, go with the PK-01.

The PK-AS is great for rifles but the S12 beats them to death. The windage and elevation dials eventually work loose and cause the elevation shaft to pop out of the tube.

On rifles the PK-AS is fantastic, it's just not so hot for the 12

PK-AS_ElevationShaft.jpg

I'm happy with the Rakurz that I picked up recently, it's perfect for slugs and does alright with clays. Definately not as fast as irons or HK sights but it's good enough for fun.

They have a weaver model of the Rakuz on Kalinka, but for the money I'd just go with an Aimpoint.

Rakurz-PK-AS-Left.JPG

Z

For clays the PK-A will probably be tough to use...the tubular effect is very pronounced which is one reason I prefer the PK-AS overall, but as I mentioned the PK-AS isn't so great on an S12 due to the recoil.

The PK-A has the advantage of being simpler to adjust than a PK-AS, so if you're zeroing for slugs it will be much much easier with a PK-A (it uses PSO style turrets for adjustments instead of harder to reach screws like the PK-AS). I'd avoid the black painted PK-A's, those are made for the civilian market and don't hold up very well even on rifles. Go for the hammer grey version, those are milspec and good to go, probably will be able to withstand the S12.

Kobra's are fun red dots too but I don't think it's going to stand up to an S12 for an extended duration. It might, but my subjective opinion is they aren't as tough as the PK-A and PK-AS based on using all of them side by side for several years. The Kobra is also mildy susceptible to rain or debris blocking the emitter since it's on top of the optic body but I haven't actually heard of anyone complaining, it's just been observed that it could cause a problem.

One of the reasons I went with the Rakurz is the etched reticule...it's like a regular scope (same as the PK-AS) and isn't a battery powered red dot. The advantage is it's always on and you don't have to worry about batteries, presumably the optic can take some additional knocking around since the electronics aren't required for function. IMO the Rakurz is also built tougher than any of the PK series optics, I wouldn't be surprised if it rivaled the PSO scopes in toughness.

Z

I haven't looked at these for a bit ... but beware of the Kobra's that use the AA batteries ... I selected this as AA's are easy to come by. But, the batteries lay in the same direction of the recoil and they beat each other up. I actually had some cheap batteries that flattened one of the nippled ends ... others just stopped working ... assuming that they developed internal problems? When I'd shoot a match, I replaced the batteries at the beginning of each stage (5-40 rounds) just to make sure that the sight wouldn't quit on me midway thru a stage ... it happened numerous times before I got to replacing batteries so often.

I LOVED the Kobra's reticle, found the dot good for distant slugs (the dot sits high enough to compensate for wolf slug drop at 85 yards), and the chevron good for the close up stuff.

YMMV

Yes I did a s12-SU and a saiga s12K spetsnaz-3

I would post pics but it looks like the administrator has me locked out :grimace: who knows why?

Still locked out and no answer to email :nonono:

I think you should consider Russian optic "D"; a PK 23, (PK 23-01). Website pic:

pk23eastwave.jpg

I just bought one myself; primarily to use on my rifle.

pk2301markings.th.jpg

m580transferpk23pics022.jpg

m580transferpk23pics025.jpg

I'll see how it does on my S-12. It's like a PK-01 but smaller, lighter, and with a pulsing red dot, (easier to see in any lighting condition).

Edited by post-apocalyptic

For clays the PK-A will probably be tough to use...the tubular effect is very pronounced which is one reason I prefer the PK-AS overall, but as I mentioned the PK-AS isn't so great on an S12 due to the recoil.

The PK-A has the advantage of being simpler to adjust than a PK-AS, so if you're zeroing for slugs it will be much much easier with a PK-A (it uses PSO style turrets for adjustments instead of harder to reach screws like the PK-AS). I'd avoid the black painted PK-A's, those are made for the civilian market and don't hold up very well even on rifles. Go for the hammer grey version, those are milspec and good to go, probably will be able to withstand the S12.

Kobra's are fun red dots too but I don't think it's going to stand up to an S12 for an extended duration. It might, but my subjective opinion is they aren't as tough as the PK-A and PK-AS based on using all of them side by side for several years. The Kobra is also mildy susceptible to rain or debris blocking the emitter since it's on top of the optic body but I haven't actually heard of anyone complaining, it's just been observed that it could cause a problem.

One of the reasons I went with the Rakurz is the etched reticule...it's like a regular scope (same as the PK-AS) and isn't a battery powered red dot. The advantage is it's always on and you don't have to worry about batteries, presumably the optic can take some additional knocking around since the electronics aren't required for function. IMO the Rakurz is also built tougher than any of the PK series optics, I wouldn't be surprised if it rivaled the PSO scopes in toughness.

Z

thanks tx-zen but remember I need a weaver/picatiny mount. I would have to build a mount a put Rakurz side mount in box to gather dust.

Ops just saw your eariler post :oops:

Edited by saigatechusa

I think you should consider Russian optic "D"; a PK 23, (PK 23-01). Website pic:

pk23eastwave.jpg

I just bought one myself; primarily to use on my rifle.

pk2301markings.th.jpg

m580transferpk23pics022.jpg

m580transferpk23pics025.jpg

I'll see how it does on my S-12. It's like a PK-01 but smaller, lighter, and with a pulsing red dot, (easier to see in any lighting condition).

Thanks post-apocalyptic It's a hard choice indeed!! :horror: