Metric Drill Bits for REAL machinists & smiths.

Here's a point I've never before heard addressed on our forum.

If you ever have to do precise repairs on a Saiga, I'd highly reccommend getting a set of METRIC machinists drill bits.

These guns were manufactured with metric bit sizes & if you're doing intricate percission repairs, the "close-in-size" "standard" bits will be THE WORNG SIZE.

I got mine from Tacoma Screw.

Stores like them are for the serious technician, not the "Home Depot hobbyist".

I wish the US would completely switch to the metric system & ditch the standard.

It's ironic that the standard system is often called the "American" system, when the Brittish invented it & the metric system is often thought to be unamerican, when it was supported by by Ben Franklin & Thomas Jefferson. :rolleyes:

Whenever Sir John Riggs-Miller, from England; Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson from the USA met together or corresponded on a proposal for a 'universal measure' with Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord, (usually known simply as Talleyrand) and Jean-Antoine Nicolas de Caritat, Marquis de Condorcet (usually known simply as Condorcet) from France they did so using the French language.

Benjamin Franklin was USA Ambassador to France from 1776 to 1784 and Thomas Jefferson served in this position from 1784 till 1789. Condorcet and Jefferson were particularly close friends and it seems likely that Franklin and Jefferson promoted their strong support for decimal measurement and for decimal currency during the 1770s and the 1780s.

Essentially, Talleyrand, Condorcet, Riggs-Miller, Franklin, and Jefferson were proposing that their three nations — France, England, and the USA — should cooperate to equalise their weights and measures by the joint introduction of a 'système métrique décimal' (decimal metric system).

http://www.metricationmatters.com/who-invented-the-metric-system.html

Now, I'm firmly against a one world government....

But wouldn't a standardized system of measurement make sense?

Just a thought.

Debate is welcome & encouraged.

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 1

The metric system is far superior to the way it's done here. This is obvious in the fact that measurements on micrometers and calipers come out to thousandths of an inch. They don't give you some fraction, they give you a nice decimal. essentially, a milli-inch. In my ideal world, we would use the metric system's series of tens (milli, deci, centi, base unit, deca, hecto, kilo) but with units that I already know. The only awkward part being that you would then end up with a whole bunch of base units as well. Where in the metric system they have liters for volume and that's it, we would have things such as a deciquart or a kilogallon to confuse us.

There are advantages to both, and, unless you work with both, it's hard to have an informed opinion.

The Imperial system was thought up in units that made sense. 0 degrees was about as cold as it got,

100 was about as hot as it got. There is a unit, the foot, that has no metric counterpart; instead,

it goes from cm to meter (typically, that is....I am aware of the decimeter, however it does not get used.)

The weight system is more accurate on a large scale, less accurate on a small scale, on a per unit basis.

The temp system is more accurate across the board, on a per unit basis.

You can travel faster on the road, as "10 over" in US standard is a lot faster than "10 over" in metric,

plus, all roads in Canada are maxxed, I believe, at 100 mph, which is 64 mph. We have higher speeds here.

I find the quart and gallon system to be more useful, day to day, than liters.

I think it is foolish to abandon one system in favor of another, when one has freedom of choice between

the two in the current situation.

Real machinists usually have access to not only fractional sizes, but letter and number sizes as well. I have been machining for many years and never have I had the need for a metric drill bit.

A metric endmill, absolutely, but drill bits are inherently inaccurate by their very design. If I need an accurate hole, I drill to within a few thousandths of an inch and use a metric reamer.naaaa.gif

But I understand your point for the home hobbyist. The "serious technician" does it my way.

Edited by Stansplace

Real machinists usually have access to not only fractional sizes, but letter and number sizes as well. I have been machining for many years and never have I had the need for a metric drill bit.

A metric endmill, absolutely, but drill bits are inherently inaccurate by their very design. If I need an accurate hole, I drill to within a few thousandths of an inch and use a metric reamer.naaaa.gif

But I understand your point for the home hobbyist. The "serious technician" does it my way.

What letter size is a 9mm hole?

Or what is the exact fractional size?

Edited by Paulyski

What letter size is a 9mm hole?

Or what is the exact fractional size?

Beefcake beat me to it.

If cleaning a pre-existing 9mm hole with a drip through from a weld 2" down, a 9mm bit is still easier.

At least that's how I went about it... SLOWLY.

If anyone has leads on LONG-ASS thin hones that would work on a dremel, give me the heads up.

THAT would have been the easiest... but it still wouldn't have gotten me perfect like the 9mm bit did.

But anyhow.... Next on the to-get list, letter bits...

ETA, it isn't for a bullet to travel down...

Nothing to do with a cartridge. It's this damn S-20 carrier that was ground to oblivion that I'm fixing for a guy.

I WON'T be doing another!

If I spent 1/2 as much of my income on guns as I do on tools..........

Edited by Paulyski