AK74 24mm brake for a 7.62...where to get???

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, from where I sit, that "Kool-Aid" has been pretty tasty and satisfying. I've yet to buy anything from Arsenal/K-Var that wasn't extremely high-quality. I've been very pleased with my purchase

Here is how you take pictures of this sort of thing.   This is an East German 5.45x39 zig-zag brake with a 7.62x39 cartridge stuck through from the business end.   As you can see the cartridge cas

agreed, but i just wanted to relate that if there is even slight contact with the smaller diameter exit, that will cause problems.

Posted Images

Ive been told by numerous people that you can use a 74 brake for ANY caliber including the 7.62x39...

You might get away with it, and you might not. I don't recommend using a '74 type brake meant for 5.45 on a 7.62 rifle.

You can buy US-made 24x1.5mm '74 type brakes made for .30 caliber from a few different companies, e.g. K-Var.

• Like 1

Ive been told by numerous people that you can use a 74 brake for ANY caliber including the 7.62x39...

You might get away with it, and you might not. I don't recommend using a '74 type brake meant for 5.45 on a 7.62 rifle.

You can buy US-made 24x1.5mm '74 type brakes made for .30 caliber from a few different companies, e.g. K-Var.

I just purchased a 74 Muzzle brake and it came off an AK-74 and just for shits and giggles i took a 7.62x39 round and i put through the hole to see if it would fit and it had plenty of clearance all the way around. unless im missing something...

I just purchased a 74 Muzzle brake and it came off an AK-74 and just for shits and giggles i took a 7.62x39 round and i put through the hole to see if it would fit and it had plenty of clearance all the way around. unless im missing something...

"plenty of clearance", huh?

Was the fit tighter than this?:

muzzlebrakesizetest006.jpg

muzzlebrakesizetest003.jpg

The pics above are of my rifle, utilizing a '74 type brake made for 7.62, (the K-Var model from my above link). It is manufactured to the same dimensions as the Russian brake designed for this caliber.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

"plenty of clearance", huh?

Was the fit tighter than this?:

muzzlebrakesizetest006.jpg

muzzlebrakesizetest003.jpg

The pics above are of my rifle, utilizing a '74 type brake made for 7.62, (the K-Var model from my above link). It is manufactured to the same dimensions as the Russian brake designed for this caliber.

Your pictures don't prove anything.

The bullet isn't sticking anywhere. The cartridge casing is.

The 5.45x39 is known to yaw upon leaving the barrel, while the 7.62x39 is much more stable.

Any 5.45x39 muzzle brake will work for 7.62x39.

• Like 1

I've been looking around but I could only find 5.45 diameter AK74 24mm style brakes... where do you guys find these for the 7.62? i'm about to punch the gas block and FSB off... I hear it's a pretty painful process (but rewarding)

I just put the brake that you speak of on both of my 7.62s. It works fine. I've put 30+ rounds through it already. No problems. $40 from dinzagarms http://www.dinzagarms.com/brakes_hiders/brakes_hiders.html

• Like 1

Post Apoc's pics are of a 30cal 74 brake. Here is a pic of a 22cal 74 brake with a 30cal bullet in it.

4664967967_5209e650c5_z.jpg

see the difference of how much less of the 30 cal bullet fits through it. This extra clearance will be required if you do not want the shot interrupted or misdirected. A buddy was shooting his rifle with a cheapy brake and each shot would rub the exit hole and misdirect it by several feet at 25yards. i think the bullet may fit through a 22cal brake but even a glancing touch will put your shot in the wrong county.

Edited by GregM1
  • Like 2

Post Apoc's pics are of a 30cal 74 brake. Here is a pic of a 22cal 74 brake with a 30cal bullet in it.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4664967967_5209e650c5_z.jpg

Your picture doesn't prove anything, either. The case is getting in the way.

A buddy was shooting his rifle with a cheapy brake and each shot would rub the exit hole and misdirect it by several feet at 25yards.

Military issue brakes or quality US made copies do not have these issues.

Buy cheap - get cheap.

• Like 1

Here is how you take pictures of this sort of thing.

This is an East German 5.45x39 zig-zag brake with a 7.62x39 cartridge stuck through from the business end.

As you can see the cartridge case extends far past the opening, meaning that there is plenty of room for a 7.62 projectile to pass through.

If you click them, both will open up to "biggie size" for your close perusal.

brake-clearance_1783t.JPG

brake-clearance_1784t.JPG

I hope this clears up matters (at least until the next thread).

Edited by nalioth
  • Like 3

I just wanted to post a pic of my brake being that looking at everyone elses, I see differences in each and thought it would be of help to anyone looking for such differences.

Mine from dinzag $40 not sure if people consider this a cheapy, I dont. Ive seen way cheaper.

post-24335-098888400 1283441315_thumb.jpg

Nalioths is an east german and has different ports than mine

and post-apocalyptics I imagine is from K-var/Arsenal, again, im not sure but has a similar gas port to the east german brake, but slightly larger.

Price I am unsure about aswell. I know Arsenal's brakes are like $70 or so. so for another $30 you can have way bigger gas ports :super: which I might invest in just to see feel the difference.

Edited by AZG
  • Like 1

I just wanted to post a pic of my brake being that looking at everyone elses, I see differences in each and thought it would be of help to anyone looking for such differences.

Mine from dinzag $40 not sure if people consider this a cheapy, I dont. Ive seen way cheaper.

post-24335-098888400 1283441315_thumb.jpg

Nalioths is an east german and has different ports than mine

and post-apocalyptics I imagine is from K-var/Arsenal, again, im not sure but has a similar gas port to the east german brake, but slightly larger.

Price I am unsure about aswell. I know Arsenal's brakes are like $70 or so. so for another $30 you can have way bigger gas ports :super: which I might invest in just to see feel the difference.

Your brake is American made, and not milspec. All milspec commie 5.45x39 brakes will have the same measurements (they were standardized).

For you, all measurements are off (you'll have to do your own bullet incursion measurements).

. . and yes, it is a "cheapy" (but it's better than the Crapco cheapies).

For the record, I do not believe the K-Var 7.62x39 24mm brakes to be milspec. I believe they are made for the American commercial market, as the Bulgarians do not produce any AK-10x series rifles (and potentially any 7.62x39 brakes).

Edited by nalioth

Military issue brakes or quality US made copies do not have these issues.

And where would one find a Military/quality US made Copy?

For every AK74 you see with a US-made muzzle brake, there's a foreign pull-off somewhere for sale.

You can also pay $100 or more for a US-made brake from K-Var or AK103.com (these two vendors offer the most accurate reproductions).

I'd personally rather pay ~$25 for a foreign military issue pull-off and use another US part to make up my 922r.

• Like 3

I have 3 "Ak-74 style" brakes/FSB, the ones that are from 5.45 DO get in the way when I shoot from my rifle... bullet hits inside edge of the brake and moves to the side a bit becasue of this.

Will post pictures if needed.

Edited by HappYBallZ

I have 3 "Ak-74 style" brakes/FSB, the ones that are from 5.45 DO get in the way when I shoot from my rifle... bullet hits inside edge of the brake and moves to the side a bit becasue of this.

Again, "Ak-74 style" brakes do not conform to any standard. Their only required design parameter is that they fit on the gun, somehow.

Military issue AK74 brakes are all made to Soviet standards.

• Like 1

Again, "Ak-74 style" brakes do not conform to any standard. Their only required design parameter is that they fit on the gun, somehow.

Nalioth,

Were there any comm bloc countries that made a '74 ZigZag Brake specially designed for 7.62x39? I believe your words are true, as you have never led me a stray before, but after reading some of these posts on this thread im a lil nervous about sending a 7.62 bullet sailing through a small hole in a break that it wasn't specifically designed for.

what are your thoughts?

-RR

Nalioth,

Were there any comm bloc countries that made a '74 ZigZag Brake specially designed for 7.62x39? I believe your words are true, as you have never led me a stray before, but after reading some of these posts on this thread im a lil nervous about sending a 7.62 bullet sailing through a small hole in a break that it wasn't specifically designed for.

what are your thoughts?

-RR

If you've got an "AK74 style" brake, I can't say whether it'll work or not. If your rifle has had it's barrel threads cut at an "off" angle, you're probably gonna have trouble with any AK74 brake (milsurp or aftermarket).

As far as milsurp brakes, the pictures don't lie.

I've run milsurp AK74 brakes on 7.62x39 AKs for years w/o issue.

I've provided the pix and the facts about the military issue brakes.

It's ultimately your decision which way you go.

• Like 2

Nalioth,

what are your thoughts?

-RR

If you've got an "AK74 style" brake, I can't say whether it'll work or not. If your rifle has had it's barrel threads cut at an "off" angle, you're probably gonna have trouble with any AK74 brake (milsurp or aftermarket).

Here's the story,

I bought some Bulgarian AK-74 Milsurp parts here from another forum user (i.e. 24x1.5mm FSB, GB, ZigZag Brake, etc...) for my 7.62x39, 5.45x39 & .223 Saigas, to do the complete conversion on my rifles to add to the PG conversion that i already did. At the time of purchase, I asked if the brake would work on the 7.62 and he said that he'd had a few people purchase them from him for 7.62 builds and he hadn't heard anything negative back from the people he sold them too, but since then, all the nay sayers have seem to come out of the woodwork and its really starting to make me question the decision i made to buy the brake for the 7.62, and now im wondering if i should have just bought the Arsenal brake made for 7.62 for that Rifle.

Edited by RoughRider666

Nalioth,

what are your thoughts?

-RR

Here's the story,

I bought some Bulgarian AK-74 Milsurp parts here from another forum user (i.e. 24x1.5mm FSB, GB, ZigZag Brake, etc...) for my 7.62x39, 5.45x39 & .223 Saigas, to do the complete conversion on my rifles to add to the PG conversion that i already did. At the time of purchase, I asked if the brake would work on the 7.62 and he said that he'd had a few people purchase them from him for 7.62 builds and he hadn't heard anything negative back from the people he sold them too, but since then, all the nay sayers have seem to come out of the woodwork and its really starting to make me question the decision i made to buy the brake for the 7.62, and now im wondering if i should have just bought the Arsenal brake made for 7.62 for that Rifle.

I think you should check and see if the nay-sayers are running actual military surplus brakes or shi***y aftermarket ones.

nalioth, usually, (almost always), your assertions are correct, but I think you're wrong on this one.

Here are some more (huge) pics of my brake, similar to the ones you posted, for comparison's sake:

http://a.imageshack.us/URL337/9592/muzzlebrakecomparison20.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/URL842/9592/muzzlebrakecomparison20.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/URL27/9592/muzzlebrakecomparison20.jpg

^ That's the proper amount of clearance for a 7.62 round.

All this proves is that you're hooked on the Arsenal Kool-Aid.

Let me ask you this (referring to both of our sets of pix):

If someone shoots at you and misses by an inch or by a yard, will you be shot?

• Like 1

nalioth, usually, (almost always), your assertions are correct, but I think you're wrong on this one.

Here are some more (huge) pics of my brake, similar to the ones you posted, for comparison's sake:

All this proves is that you're hooked on the Arsenal Kool-Aid...

Well, from where I sit, that "Kool-Aid" has been pretty tasty and satisfying. :haha: I've yet to buy anything from Arsenal/K-Var that wasn't extremely high-quality. I've been very pleased with my purchases from them.

I don't know what your problem with Arsenal is, nalioth, (you've never elaborated on your ever-present extreme dislike for them), but perhaps you should get over it... that or tell us what's so bad about their company and/or products.

I guess AK-103.com must be drunk on the "Kool-Aid" also, huh? I mean, they make different 74-type brakes for .30 caliber and do not recommend using a brake made for 5.45/5.56 on a 7.62 rifle... but what the hell do they know, right? :rolleyes:

• Like 4

All this proves is that you're hooked on the Arsenal Kool-Aid...

Well, from where I sit, that "Kool-Aid" has been pretty tasty and satisfying. :haha: I've yet to buy anything from Arsenal/K-Var that wasn't extremely high-quality. I've been very pleased with my purchases from them.

I don't know what your problem with Arsenal is, nalioth, (you've never elaborated on your ever-present extreme dislike for them), but perhaps you should get over it... that or tell us what's so bad about their company and/or products.

I guess AK-103.com must be drunk on the "Kool-Aid" also, huh? I mean, they make different 74-type brakes for .30 caliber and do not recommend using a brake made for 5.45/5.56 on a 7.62 rifle... but what the hell do they know, right? :rolleyes:

Oops, I ment +1

Not sure if you refer to me owning tapcos fake(smaller) brake. The only reason I call them "74-style" is because thats what they are commonly known/called around general enthusiasts, it has nothing to do with all of them being fake or replicas.

I have 4 versions, as follow 1.US made(no half moon cout outs at all, hole enlarged for 7.62 no problems with bullet skidding sides) 2. Bulgarian half-mooon that I bought when i visited there, made for 5.45(hits the side of the brake) 3. Russian half moon 5.45, also hits, also bought in Russia. 4. Russian zigzag 5.45, hits the side.

While there is always a chance they are imported from the US it is very unlikely as original Russian ones go cheap on the market there, $5-$10, even cheaper at times if you know someone.

Perhaps this has something to do with individuals seating of the FSB, if it's tilted a little bit it might be just enough for the bullet to graze the insides, perhaps the barrerl is not 100% straight on the outside or maybe the inside of the FSB is not as well, who knows. So with my specific built it DOES hit. FSB is bulgarian by the way, if it matters.

Edited by HappYBallZ

post-24335-033190700 1283528607_thumb.jpg

So, again after looking at pics on this thread, I decided to do a lil bullet test of my own and come to find out I believe my brake is actually made for 5.45. On P-A's photos, the bullet sinks down past the exit hole quite a bit more. My photo looks more to be like Nalioth's, which is 5.45. Ive shot 30+ rounds through it so far and no hits to the side...yet, that I can see. And being that I spent all day yesterday looking for these "milspec" brakes and have yet to find one, I say fuckit and im just going to get an Arsenal brake thats actually made for 7.62. Quality looks way better than all ive seen on here anyway. And if I happen to run into one lateron down the road, then good for me, until then I think ill have some kool-aid.

Very interesting. Do any of the 5.45 brakes that you ran 7.62 through have copper smearing on the inside surface of the hole?

Well, damn now I want to try this and look for copper smear.

Edited by my762buzz

post-24335-033190700 1283528607_thumb.jpg

And being that I spent all day yesterday looking for these "milspec" brakes and have yet to find one, I say fuckit and im just going to get an Arsenal brake thats actually made for 7.62. Quality looks way better than all ive seen on here anyway. And if I happen to run into one lateron down the road, then good for me, until then I think ill have some kool-aid.

if you are looking for a US made, the arsenal is probably matching mil-spec minus being chrome lined. the ak-103 .com brakes are mil-spec with the chrome line. if you dont need US made, check out the trader here or maybe akfiles or akforum and you can find many choices.

• Like 1