Opinions

I am apprehensive on doing the conversion... I have watched the vids and looked at all the pictures..

what is concerning to me is the springs and the putting the trigger assembly in...

I don't know whether to go with the non conversion tapco t6 stock or just pay someone to do the conversion for me... or to leave stock( but I wanna use bigger mags and drums

I don't have a good place to shoot...so It may take some time for me to get it broke in which brings up another issue about doing that before a conversion...

Just some background... I dont yet have the saiga yet but I have it on layway..... soon to be mine I hope... I did order a T.A.R.G.E.T for it....

I am apprehensive on doing the conversion... I have watched the vids and looked at all the pictures..

what is concerning to me is the springs and the putting the trigger assembly in...

I don't know whether to go with the non conversion tapco t6 stock or just pay someone to do the conversion for me... or to leave stock( but I wanna use bigger mags and drums

I don't have a good place to shoot...so It may take some time for me to get it broke in which brings up another issue about doing that before a conversion...

Just some background... I dont yet have the saiga yet but I have it on layway..... soon to be mine I hope... I did order a T.A.R.G.E.T for it....

TROMIX did mine and I couldnt be happier.....

There is the good (damn nice job) and the bad (costs more) of sending it out....but I wouldnt do it any different on my first S12

post-22193-009784700 1284498300_thumb.jpg

post-22193-049009900 1284498310_thumb.jpg

TROMIX did mine and I couldnt be happier.....

There is the good (damn nice job) and the bad (costs more) of sending it out....but I wouldnt do it any different on my first S12

That is some good advice. Tromix will make sure it works before sending it back to you so you don't need to be concerned about breaking it in before shipping it to them.

Just to note that most other builders on this forum will also test fire to make sure things are running smoothly before shipping the gun back to you. The big concern is if you want to DIY because if you convert a problem gun, you've voided the warranty.

I would like to do a DIY in the future but just don't have the space or time (I'd like to graduate eventually!) so I sent it to Rifle Dynamics. I just didn't want to mess up my first S12 (don't tell the wife I said "first."). Just like Saiga Power said as well.

If you don't have a lot of options for shooting the S12 have a pro builder do it for you so you can be sure it works or leave it stock. The non-conversion stock is just disappoint. Reading about it on this forum helped convince me to do a real conversion instead of spending $60 on one of the T6 stocks from Tapco.

Speaking purely for the conversion aspect of this, it's very, very easy to put all the parts in. Most of the parts, if not ALL of them you order with a conversion kit should drop in (the FCG included with a kit should be modified to fit the S-12). I did my S-12 with ease. I'll admit, getting that BHO spring to sit right was a serious pain in the ass. When the smoke clears, it's totally worth it when it's all finished.

If you're not confident with your ability to cut/punch rivets off the receiver, my vote is to send it out to get converted.

Either way, good luck! :)

You know your abilities if you are somewhat handy with your hands and patient you can do it. I know because I did my first. The parts really do drop in and it isn't hard as long as you get the FCG already modified. The BHO wasn't the problem for me the pain in my ass was the damn sheppards crook retaining pin. If I had it to do over I would definately go with a modified retaining plate. My conversion from start to finish took me about 5 hrs and I shit you not 2 of that was me scratching me head and loosing the above mentioned patience with the damn sheppards crook. Just take it out and shoot it to see how she runs and then start from there. I know not everyone here would agree with this but I hardly put any high brass down mine prior to the conversion because it ate federal bulk like a champ and I couldn't wait after seeing all the beauties posted here. Like I said though you know your abilities if you think you can do it go for it because it is a great learning experience and let's you see another depth of how things work. If you get stumped there are plenty of members who could walk you through the process blindfolded. Mine has ran like a champ ever since other than one of the hammer springs being a little twisted after but I noticed that mainly because it stuck out being odd from where I started. Took some pics of what I thought was the problem posted here and everyone confirmed my suspicion and problem solved.

If you can operate a drill you can do it.

Order one of each for a very easy conversion:

Trigger group

Billet trigger guard

Axis pin plate

Improved mainspring

Md Arms Melot grip

Grip screw and nut

Hole plugs

and either MD-20 20 round drum or AGP 10 round mag and you are good to go and 922r compliant.

The JT mainspring alleviates the need to re-create the original spring. The axis plate eliminates the need to fight the sheperds crook (royal PIA). If you want to use the factory mag you will need more american parts to remain 922r compliant. You will not need the grip nut but you will need the screw.

From home depot (or similar) you will need a few COBALT (makes a difference) 3/16 drill bits, matte black spray paint, scuff pad, some sort of pre cleaner for paint (rubbing alcohol works fine) and a spring loaded center punch (make drilling rivets from the round side easy)

Watch the videos posted on this sight and follow along.

If it takes you more than three hours we will hold a telethon for YOU.

Conversion is much simpler than you think. Just Do it..... The easy way!!

Yep, these guys know what they are talking about. Its all very simple and with the wealth of information, tutorials, and videos on how to do it, I'm confident you can do it as well. It was easy for me and I've never done anything like that before.

That damn sheppard's crook gave me by far the most problems, but its not like you don't know where it goes, it was just tricky for me to reinstall it.

i agree with the majority on here, if you feel your even somewhat mechanically inclined you can do it. i did my conv. a couple weeks ago with no prior knowledge whatsoever of saigas or AK's. i was thinking just as you are that the hardest part was gonna be putting the FCG back in but i just went for it and it wasnt. like another person said the hardest part BY FAR is the shepards crook!! go to CSS and watch the video of installing FCG. i used a dremel with a burr bit to put a dimple in the rivets proceeded to remove the TG and sat in front of the computer and followed the video step by step, it was a piece of cake. i was so happy i got it done (in 30 mins) i forgot about the shepards crook! then it took another 30 mins to get it in. if you have the money send it off but if your like me and cant afford it just do it yourself. like others have said it will give a sense of accomplishment and a in depth knowledge of how your gun works.