Flip-Up Irons

So I've got my lovely Chaos extended rail system coming in, and will be mounting some manner of yet-to-be-purchased red dot on it...but the extended rail got me thinking, why not toss a set of co-witnessed flip-up irons on there as well?

So, does anyone have any strong recommendations for a set of reasonably priced, flip-up, ghost-ring iron sights?

• Like 1

i second the troy battle sights, i dont have the micro's but i have a standard folding set on my AR and there top quality. there designed and built to withstand a beating on a REAL battle rifle. if i could afford the micro's i probably would have them on my S-12, but that being said my S-12 isnt a battle rifle so i dont really need sights like that on it. i was thinking the same way, i really wanted folding ghost ring sights with a red dot but i think aside from the troy micro's every other folding sight is just sits too high up for me, so i have decided to go with the chaos HK sights and a aimpoint T-1 clone. apparently they give a really good cowitness and are very low. just my thoughts

So I've got my lovely Chaos extended rail system coming in, and will be mounting some manner of yet-to-be-purchased red dot on it...but the extended rail got me thinking, why not toss a set of co-witnessed flip-up irons on there as well?

So, does anyone have any strong recommendations for a set of reasonably priced, flip-up, ghost-ring iron sights?

A buddy of mine tried those on a Mossberg 500 rig. The kick of the 12ga always managed to knock the front sight part of the way over - no matter which way he oriented it.. he ended up taking them off. The kick of the S12 is less, so it may work.. I never tried 'em.

I did have a cheap set of flip ups that worked OK - they were ARMS knock-off sights that I found on Ebay. But they sit too high off the bore for my tastes. The gas tube already sits up high. Needing a scope riser to view my irons bothers me.

The Troy sights are pricey - most of the good picatinny mount ones are. Thats quality though. If you love your S12 enough to give it a Chaos rail over the UTG, consider the Troys.. but for the price of such a set, you could just get a new top rail for your Chaos set up that has low profile HK style sights built in.. pretty sure they will cowitness with a Burris low-profile reflex sight.

Battle rifle sights aren't that great on a shotgun. I ended up taking the factory rear sight off and polishing the front sight for use as a bead. Takes some getting used to with it so high up off the bore, but it is fast and lets me get a good weld on the gun.

Thanks, guys.

I love the Troys but they're a little more pricey than I want to get right now. I may try the Magpuls and see if they'll hold a zero against some serious recoil.

I may also follow Michael's advice and go back to a bead system. I did the exact same thing before I picked up my rails, but haven't found a good solution for a front sight only design with the quad. I'll have to play around with it more, though.

'Course, a combination of the two might work as well. I periodically run dead-battery drills with my AR where I only take the time to activate the front flip sight and use the dot's tube as a rear...I bet I could do something similar on my saiga if I can find a front sight that'll hold zero.

Hm. Have to play around with it.

Cheers.

Edited by Beerasaurus

I was running some GG&G flip up BUIS on my Chaos Extended Rail for a very short time until Chaos released their HK style sights which I quickly ordered and installed. The standard height AR sights were too high and the Chaos offerings fit the bill for me. Those Troy Micros are nice but for the price, the fixed HK style sights are great and permanently mounted to the rail which prevent any movement under recoil.

• 3 months later...

http://troyind.com/%...m-now-available

Was looking for rail mount ghost ring rear night sights and was very happy to find this post. I liked the idea of flip sights in case I wanted to run a 50$ reddot or maybe splurge on a holosight from eotech, but wont the micro sights be low enough to make flip sights unnecessary?

Also, I can't tell from troy's info but it looks like the micro sights I have linked above are also flip sights...can anyone confirm or deny this assumption? What I really dont want is to get a set of rail iron sights (of any kind) that will run too high for fun gadgets like reddots and holosights.

I am doing a MBUIS set up in a few weeks. I am very fucking excited cause I am going to mounting a MagpulRearMBUS.jpg on a rear section of rail going on my dust cover and I will be replacing the sight aperture with an XS sights wide .230 rear sight aperture p_006111001_1.jpg and then getting a MAG245%20Black-2T.jpg and mounting it on the top of a CSS quad rail up front and replacing the AR sight post with an XS sights AR BIG DOT sight post p_006111181_1.jpg. I think this will be a fucking wicked combat flip up sight set up on an S12. I'm going for the most AR look as possible on my S12 and this should look nice as well as be very effective for quick target acquisition.

I had doubts about it all because Magpul directly states that the sights are to not be mounted on a gas block as the sights can melt (IDK why they wouldnt use a better polymer in the 1st place... :unsure: ) but i took a look at my CSS rail and the gas tube rail is actually really beefy and I am very confident (especially since it's aluminum and I'll be duracoating it) that I will have no problems. I actually talked to a rep at Magpul today and he agreed I should be fine considering the above and that the shotgun won't get AS hot as an AR

http://troyind.com/%...m-now-available

Was looking for rail mount ghost ring rear night sights and was very happy to find this post. I liked the idea of flip sights in case I wanted to run a 50$ reddot or maybe splurge on a holosight from eotech, but wont the micro sights be low enough to make flip sights unnecessary?

Also, I can't tell from troy's info but it looks like the micro sights I have linked above are also flip sights...can anyone confirm or deny this assumption? What I really dont want is to get a set of rail iron sights (of any kind) that will run too high for fun gadgets like reddots and holosights.

Holy shit...these are $289 b4 shipping!! :eek: By the way, those MBUIS look like they sit very low as well. Just trying to sell you on the idea of them because they are very nice

I'm sorry. I posted a picture of a STANDARD size XS sight systems AR sight post. Here's the BIG DOT AR sight post. I put one inside my Krebs combat shotgun sight but I couldnt find a better google image than this.

DSCN0401.jpg

They are realllly nice and very bright as well. Works great in low light or no light at all as well.

Edited by JJ the GUN MAN