Just ordered Saiga 308 need HELP

I just ordered my saiga 308 I live in California which sucks. I pick it up on monday I ordered a utg side mount but what kind of scope should i use? I probably only wanna spend about 300 or so. Can I expect accuracy to be like my AR or better? I have an sks please tell me better accuracy than that.

At 100 yards.. you should get 2" groups with good ammo..

At 200 yards I get 3" x 5" groups..

The key is letting it cool for about 15 seconds between shots..

Lots of Range Reports in this 308 section.

Al

Thank you i"m not looking for complete accuracy but wanna atleast be on paper at 300 yards lol and if not screw it its still a beast of a round and rifle.

What type of scope is like asking what type of girlfriend :devil: ? It depends on what type of shooting you are going to use your gun for. In my case I will use it mostly for target practice at 100 to 500 yards off a bench, so I went big. Plus cost was an issue so I found the scope with the best reviews in my price range. I wound up with the crossfire for $100 bucks!! We will see how that works out for me. LOL

diego

Edited by Diego-ted

I got a bushnell zoom dot for a couple of hundred bucks. It's a red dot scope with no magnification (zoom dot refers to adjustable red dot size). I'm going to use it for sitting on top of a jeep and baiting roads with corn to take care of a pesky hog problem, so quick reaction is a must for me.

I went 3-9x40 Bushnell with a BDC cam.. was $80 on sale..

Crossfires were on sale for $99 and I was looking at that pretty hard..

Figure 308 caliber.. keep what ever you get in the + $100 ..... for sanity sake..

I run a Bushnell Trophy on my 762x39 and that was also $75.. and it has 3MOA/10 MOA/ 65 circle with 3moa dot, and cross-hair options.. non-magnifying..

HIGHER-END BSA may work though reviews are mixed..

Vortex 2-7 is also good I hear.. via ChileR..

Al

+1 for the Vortex Viper 2-7. I got mine yesterday and took it to the range today. The glass is awesome and the turrets are positive and solid. I got the BDC which is cool for estimating holdover but I've heard that the C3 reticle is great for quick shots. If you go to opticstalk, some of the guys there who own every scope on the planet compare the Viper's optics to their Bushnell Elite 4200s which are very high quality scopes.

EDIT: for $300 you can get the Super Sniper 6x, 10x, 16x or 20x which come very highly recommended. If you're into tactical scopes (ie mil reticles and target turrets) those are supposed to be awesome for the money.

Edited by nsdhanoa

Saiga rifles in general average 2-3 MOA, with decent commercial ammo.

You may be able to find a particular ammo that your rifle will group tighter than another, trial and error, and a high quality match grade will give better consistency.

With good glass the .308 is easily capable out to 200-600 yards for shots on a human silhouette's center of mass, and within 0-200 for much smaller targets, e.g. 8-10" or a head shot.

A good rifleman should be able to put shots into center of mass using irons, out to 300 yards.

AK comparable to AR? Man, they're apples and oranges, I don't think the AK will ever compare to a finely tuned AR15/AR10 in inherent accuracy, just not gonna happen.

First day with scope I was pounding out groups such as these at 100 yards, fired from the bench, just as fast as I could get the crosshairs back on target.

As the barrel heats up, it started to string and I had a few flyers. My marksmanship skills aren't the greatest, most of those flyers are my letting the crosshairs drift as I jerked the trigger. :blush:

563935169_1999427686_0.jpg

Then this at 150

563934953_1999426913_0.jpg

I went with the Vortex Viper 2-7x32, and am overall happy with its performance.

Benched & prone, I can ring the 400 yard steel at my range better than 80%.

Vortex makes a great product, comparable to many higher priced offerings, in their optics glass, coatings, clarity & brightness.

Honestly, I now wish I'd acquired something in either the 3-9 or 4-12 range of magnification, perhaps even higher.

This is just my wanting a closer look at my range targets to verify point of impact with the scope, and not have to use a spotting scope.

I may very well buy a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 to fulfill this desire.

I mounted mine on a Texas Weapons Systems Dog Leg rail.

vortex1-1.jpg

Edited by ChileRelleno

Whatever scope you get, make sure you don't skimp on the rings. There are a lot of crap ass airsoft rings out there, don't fall for that. The six bolt cap rings on Chile's gun are good. Try to get something like that or at a minimum no less than 4 bolt caps.

Also what little things can I do to make it perform better? Im mostly gonna be at the range with it but main reason for buying it is for medium sized game I hit a deer with my sks and from the range i was at about 150 yards it didnt even drop it my brother pumped three more rounds from my ar15 then it dropped lol i hit it in the left shoulder he hit 2 kneck last rib cage. so the 308 is so we wont have to tag team a damn deer AGAIN or fight over whos kill it was.

Yeah, take a formal rifle course & strive to improve your marksmanship, the man behind the trigger is usually the weakest link.

As for the rifle,

if you bought the sporter model, definitely convert and install a good FCG, you've a few to choose from.

You can recrown the barrel, this is debatable, but it can't hurt.

Install a good muzzle brake, lessening recoil can help reduce or eliminate a flinch.

Set up the rifle with ergonomics that fit you, length of pull, weight of trigger, cheek riser to match scope for a good weld & etc...

Shoot the ammo you will hunt with, know it's and your rifle's combined ballistic characteristics.

Know how high/low your point of impact is at various ranges.

• Like 1

Yeah, take a formal rifle course & strive to improve your marksmanship, the man behind the trigger is usually the weakest link.

As for the rifle,

if you bought the sporter model, definitely convert and install a good FCG, you've a few to choose from.

You can recrown the barrel, this is debatable, but it can't hurt.

Install a good muzzle brake, lessening recoil can help reduce or eliminate a flinch.

Set up the rifle with ergonomics that fit you, length of pull, weight of trigger, cheek riser to match scope for a good weld & etc...

Shoot the ammo you will hunt with, know it's and your rifle's combined ballistic characteristics.

Know how high/low your point of impact is at various ranges.

LOL dumb question but I dont know the answer so im gonna ask. what is a fcg? as far as shooting im actually pretty good im no expert but grew up on a ranch and use to lie in wait on weekend nites and shoot rodents as well as coyotes just the sks has alot of power just couldnt stop that deer all the way. which is my reason for the 308. Again im no marksman but can usually hit the barn when needed lol im gonna look up the fcg thing and get that done.Thank youalso I go to the shooting range 4 days a week and set a playing card at 100 yards. is that decent size target or should i be hitting something smaller?

Edited by NorCalK9.com

FCG means Fire Control Group if I recall correctly

Its the three trigger parts:

Trigger

Hammer

Disconnect

I have a tapco G2 in mine, works well.

You must convert the rifle to have a pistol grip to use a different FCG. Since your in California you would need to install something like a bullet button to have a pistol grip.

So if you can tolerate the trigger that it has that would be much more simple. Play with it for a little and see if you like the trigger or not

I actually got used to the trigger mine had, I switched to Pistol grip because I had to for 922r when using mags over 10 rounds (which you can't use anyway).

• Like 1

NorcalK9 - I'm currently in the process of converting my S308. All the parts for the conversion was sourced from Dinzag Arms.(forum sponsor) When I get it finished I'll post a picture of it along with a list of parts for your reference. For the conversion, I'll be using the Solar Tactical mag lock. PM me for the link if you're interested in converting. Although you can also avoid the mag lock issue if you go with a Monster Man Grip. I have that on my S223 that is converted and it is mag lock free.

NorcalK9 - I'm currently in the process of converting my S308. All the parts for the conversion was sourced from Dinzag Arms.(forum sponsor) When I get it finished I'll post a picture of it along with a list of parts for your reference. For the conversion, I'll be using the Solar Tactical mag lock. PM me for the link if you're interested in converting. Although you can also avoid the mag lock issue if you go with a Monster Man Grip. I have that on my S223 that is converted and it is mag lock free.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx

DSC00752.jpg

http://swfa.com/Vort...ope-P43585.aspx

DSC00752.jpg

that is fucking sick! i picked mine up today looks pretty cool hate the long ass stock thats on it feels awkward! already put my ak scope mount on it and and Barska scope i had laying around gonna take it to the range tomorrow and check it out. but yeah please send me the link for the monster grip and the tri rail system. thanks

I took the Saiga 308 to the shooting range today and what can I say its AWESOME sure does dump rounds out nicely! I believe this is the best $515 I ever spent. trigger everyone complains about didn't bother me a bit recoil was nothing to complain about just wish bolt would lock when empty. Other than that I love this rifle!!!! 3 people at the range saw it and all are planning to order one. GOOD JOB TO THE MAKERS OF SAIGA 308

Im new to the Saiga also. I bought a .308 ak74 and shotgun all at the same time. The .308 is modded the shotgun is modded the AK is in the works. Im Very happy with my new toys!

That is one berry berry nice Saiga!

Diego

Is the shotgun a saiga too? I ended up buying a mossberg 590 pump but now im planning on buying the saiga 12

• 1 month later...

So after having my saiga for a little bit now I have to say it has now became my favorite rifle for the range my fully built ar15 was my favorite but shit this saiga is awesome. I was a vendor at the Antioch Ca gunshow this last weekend and their was alot of saiga fans their but ammo guys are dicks everyone I asked about steel cased rounds called it crap and only had brass for 185 for 350 rounds. Hella gay dumbasses talking about i shouldnt shoot steel out of my m1a I HAVE A SAIGA then cause they dont have what you want they get attitude whatever im ranting anyways wanted to let everyone who gave me feedback know that I love this damn rifle!!!!

So after having my saiga for a little bit now I have to say it has now became my favorite rifle for the range my fully built ar15 was my favorite but shit this saiga is awesome. I was a vendor at the Antioch Ca gunshow this last weekend and their was alot of saiga fans their but ammo guys are dicks everyone I asked about steel cased rounds called it crap and only had brass for 185 for 350 rounds. Hella gay dumbasses talking about i shouldnt shoot steel out of my m1a I HAVE A SAIGA then cause they dont have what you want they get attitude whatever im ranting anyways wanted to let everyone who gave me feedback know that I love this damn rifle!!!!

You're my new favorite poster for saying "hella"

I just picked up a nikon prostaff 6320 (I think, doing this off the top of my head) for 130 shipped. Haven't zero'd it in yet. Just started my conversion today as well.

Im new to the Saiga also. I bought a .308 ak74 and shotgun all at the same time. The .308 is modded the shotgun is modded the AK is in the works. Im Very happy with my new toys!

That is one berry berry nice Saiga!

Diego

Is the shotgun a saiga too? I ended up buying a mossberg 590 pump but now im planning on buying the saiga 12

Yep the Shotgun is a Saiga as well. Essentially a semi auto 12 gauge AK :devil:

I have the 308 as well. Great rifle! Depanding on Cali laws (i'm not up on those) you can get M14 converted mags for your Saiga 308