My brand spanking new friend

post-22710-079643900 1287054820_thumb.jpg Sold my S.308 a while back and regretted it ever since ,but then stumbled upon this beauty on my local gun auction site ,Its hard

to come by this model Saiga in my country ,with the trigger forward and lightened trigger ,Ak74 fore end and factory muzzle

break ,I have 5 x 7 round steel mags which is the legal limit for my licence ,The rifle is absolutely brand new ,the internals

are shiney and clean ,all numbers match,The serial #is H101xxxxx ,not sure what that means ,i assume the gun was built this

year ,One other thing i love is this awesome stock that it came with ,it fits my hand like a glove and has perfect LOP even

thought i am 6'2 ,And i wont forget to mention it accepts all types of steel Ak mag but doesn't seem to like the factory

polymer mags ,which is fine with me as i love the steel look and feel,

Anyway enough rambling ,can anyone shed light on how i can tell the age of the rifle please ,and i will post more pics of her

soon ,Oh and that is the ammo i scored for it ,1500 rounds of chinese FMJ ,sweeeeet

post-22710-035030300 1287054844_thumb.png

Edited by tritium

Nice!

That's a Bulgarian stock. It's a pretty sought after stock for people in NY who want to convert their S12's. I had one (RalphXL has it now), NailBomb has one (or two?) and I know at least 1 other NY'er has one.

It really is an awesome stock.

That's a Bulgarian stock. It's a pretty sought after stock for people in NY who want to convert their S12's. I had one (RalphXL has it now), NailBomb has one (or two?)

Definitly 2...

Really is a great stock... I would grab a third if the chance came by...

P1110070.JPG

Who has Chinese ammo? Is yours steel core???

Don't get too excited, Sal. :rolleyes:

The OP is from New Zealand, and that stock ammo photo is marked "Gun City"; also in New Zealand.

I tried to buy some Saiga-12 Izhmash 8-rnd mags from them once and hit a US Customs wall. :evil:

Edited by post-apocalyptic

The OP is from New Zealand, and that stock ammo photo is marked "Gun City"; also in New Zealand.

I tried to buy some Saiga-12 Izhmash 8-rnd mags from them once and hit a US Customs wall. :evil:

Damn it, I was about to play credit-card-fu.....

That's a Bulgarian stock. It's a pretty sought after stock for people in NY who want to convert their S12's. I had one (RalphXL has it now), NailBomb has one (or two?)

Definitly 2...

Really is a great stock... I would grab a third if the chance came by...

Oh yeah, I forgot you got the second one from the already-converted S12 you bought from MCPNY, right?

I wish I'd picked up a couple of those stocks when they were available. :( I really like what I'm using now, (poly plum K-Var warsaw stock, ATI grip), but more solid options are always a good thing.

Solid indeed. For as light as it was.......I wouldn't have hesitated to use that stock as a bludgeoning device when mounted. That thing was rock solid.

Damn it, I was about to play credit-card-fu.....

After I bought out the yugo my local mom and pop gun store had, they busted out a bunch of chinese ammo. Same copper colored casing/bullet as pictured. The steel core myth is just that, a myth. The steel core was used in a cost saving measure by the chinese. It really has no additional penetration value. It was the shootout in california that started this whole "Armor piercing ammo" shit. pretty much all "bullet proof vests" won't stop any high powered rifle round. You pretty much need plates to stop it. Any hunting rifle will zip through it way better than x39.

Shit, it's annoying as hell too, since GT and wolf use "bi-metal" jackets since the russians are cheap. It doesn't have any additional penetration value but if it doesn't pass the "magnet test" the indoor ranges here won't let you use it.

/rant - idk if you even were thinking about penetration value but lol /rant

post-22710-080370500 1287125064_thumb.jpgCheers for the comments guys ,I made the 6 hour round trip to pick up my case of ammo today,Its actually Lead core FMJ ,

not sure what that means but hey i got shit loads of it now ,and its pretty scarce here too,anyway here a couple of pics

of my new stash

Cheers for the comments guys ,I made the 6 hour round trip to pick up my case of ammo today, Its actually Lead core FMJ, not sure what that means but hey i got shit loads of it now...

Congrats man. :up: Of course, 1500 rnds is hardly what I would call "shit loads" of ammo, at least not by American standards. ;)

Cheers for the comments guys ,I made the 6 hour round trip to pick up my case of ammo today, Its actually Lead core FMJ, not sure what that means but hey i got shit loads of it now...

Congrats man. :up: Of course, 1500 rnds is hardly what I would call "shit loads" of ammo, at least not by American standards. ;)

Yeah i hear what your saying ,but in regards to the prices we pay i probably won't be buying anymore for a good while,cost me $535 and that was a low price deal i scored,anywho i can't wait to start burning it up at the range ,and of course shooting rabbits on the farm :super:

535.00 NZD = 404.513 USD New Zealand Dollars United States Dollars 1 NZD = 0.756100 USD 1 USD = 1.32258 NZD

:wacko: $404.51 USD for a case of x39... Yep, that'd be a expensive day at the range.

Dang Jerry,

I don't know if I'd burn through that, I'd be hoarding it at that price.

535.00 NZD = 404.513 USD New Zealand Dollars United States Dollars 1 NZD = 0.756100 USD 1 USD = 1.32258 NZD

:wacko: $404.51 USD for a case of x39... Yep, that'd be a expensive day at the range.

Dang Jerry,

$404/1500=$0.27 a round.

The missing factor here is US income to NZ income equivalence. Like say for example if minimum wage in NZ were $25 NZD as opposed to what it is here. Retrospectively, back in the mid 1980s, chinese sks rifles used to sell for $70-$90 USD in many parts of the country and big cases of the same ammo like shown in the picture

was often sold for as little as $10 USD or given away with the purchase of the rifle. Once the Chinese exporters got Americans hooked on the 7.62x39 drug from the dirt cheap samples, the prices eventually were raised and today the demand sustains the barely tolerable prices that its sold at.

I would imagine that when the same first occured in NZ the first samples were relatively cheap and when enough demand was raised the exporters raised their prices accordingly.

Edited by my762buzz

Dang Jerry,

Hmmmm you have made a very good point,Perhaps i will stash a tin for a rainy day

Dang Jerry,

Hmmmm you have made a very good point,Perhaps i will stash a tin for a rainy day

Zombie land maybe around the corner. :killer: