I've been reading up on them, and from what I'm seeing, an RIA 1911 is a great way to get into the 1911 game for cheap. Sound about right? Any cons to them?

I'm specifically looking at the .45 Compact CSP model, which goes for about $390.

riagrips01lu1.jpg

Anything I should know about them? One poster on a random forum I saw when I was looking them up, said that compact 1911's can be more finicky than their full-size brethren. True or false?

EDIT: Also, does anyone know who makes those exact grips pictured above? They're pretty damn nice looking.

Edited by -Shooter-

A full-size RIA was my entry into the 1911 market too. For the price, they make some excellent GI style 1911s... I haven't heard of anyone being unhappy with theirs. I'm thrilled with mine. Haven't done a lot of 1911 shooting due to the price of .45 but it holds its own next to guns 2-3x more expensive.

FWIW, the 1911 was developed partly due to GI experience fighting in the Philippines. Once they were on "our" side the Flips issued them to their own army and they continue to carry them to this day. They know 1911s and gunsmithing.

As for compact .45s having problems, I have heard the same but can't back it up. No personal experience there.

I've been reading up on them, and from what I'm seeing, an RIA 1911 is a great way to get into the 1911 game for cheap. Sound about right? Any cons to them?

I'm specifically looking at the .45 Compact CSP model, which goes for about $390.

riagrips01lu1.jpg

Anything I should know about them? One poster on a random forum I saw when I was looking them up, said that compact 1911's can be more finicky than their full-size brethren. True or false?

EDIT: Also, does anyone know who makes those exact grips pictured above? They're pretty damn nice looking.

That's a nice looking one for sure, love the low-profile military sights, I don't like the three-dot or anything fancy, but that's just me. The only compact I ever had, was a Pitbull ZG-51 (I got rid of it) and it was a full-size frame with an officer's slide, which made it a little on the unique side. It probably would have ran great if someone else made it, but Thompson Auto-Ordnance did a piss poor job with most of these, they can made into a decent shooters, but that'll cost more money than it's worth. I'd just go for a compact model from a tried and true brand, and check reviews on them all.

post-25308-0-11002300-1288128627_thumb.jpg

Edited by VaiFanatic90

Rock Island isn't a bad entry-level 1911. It leaves a little to be desired, but you can always perform upgrades on it yourself. I've shot a few compact 1911's (Rock Island included) and most of them are decent shooters, but I much prefer full size 1911's. Try it out. If you don't like it, you should be able to get most of your money back out of it. I'm way more accurate with my 1911 than I am with my Glock, Walther, or any other pistol. :super:

gallery_7122_556_19374.jpg

Edited by KC913

Everything I hear is positive.

One of our ladies who works the counter at my local range, has the compact for'er EDC, and she loves it.

I'd like to get one myself, but I want a CMP (Correct or Special grade) M1 Garand first.

Everything I hear is positive.

One of our ladies who works the counter at my local range, has the compact for'er EDC, and she loves it.

I'd like to get one myself, but I want a CMP (Correct or Special grade) M1 Garand first.

I've got one of those Garands :D They're beautiful. I got the most highest quality correct grade they had. It's an H&R made sometime in the early 50s.

Sounds like everyone's experience and what they've heard/read is mimicking what I've read; they're good-to-go.

Racer, I just did a search of all of the topics started by 1911, but I couldn't find the thread you're talking about: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&andor_type=and&sid=82bac61611c0f31f096a981e07b521d0&search_author=1911&content_title_only=1&search_term=&search_app=forums&st=175 Maybe I overlooked it?

Rock Island isn't a bad entry-level 1911. It leaves a little to be desired, but you can always perform upgrades on it yourself. I've shot a few compact 1911's (Rock Island included) and most of them are decent shooters, but I much prefer full size 1911's. Try it out. If you don't like it, you should be able to get most of your money back out of it. I'm way more accurate with my 1911 than I am with my Glock, Walther, or any other pistol. :super:

gallery_7122_556_19374.jpg

Who makes those grips? Also, am I seeing it right; the finger grooves part is actually a part of the side grips? Like 1 piece?

Actually, it's a grip insert that allows you to use any grip panels and retain the rubber finger grooves. It's made by Pierce and it costs around ~$12.00 usually. Feels more comfortable than any other grip / finger groove platform I've ever had on a 1911.

Edit: I also added Meprolight trijicon 3-dot night sights and an extended slide release since I don't have 6 inch long thumbs to reach it comfortably without manipulating my grip.

Edited by KC913

I almost got one of those Rock Island 1911's, but there was a 'on consignment' Taurus 1911 there that day for $474. I walked out with the Taurus. Those Rock Islands are good guns, the Taurus just had more bells and whistles for the price.

I almost got one of those Rock Island 1911's, but there was a 'on consignment' Taurus 1911 there that day for $474. I walked out with the Taurus. Those Rock Islands are good guns, the Taurus just had more bells and whistles for the price.

How is the PT1911??

I used one of their full size slides (Armscor) on a build with an Essex frame seems alright,

came with a better set of sights than the GI speed bumps and with the serrations about the same as my Kimber it looks pretty damn good.

I think they make the parts for the low end STIs

I've been thinking about getting one of their 9mms for steel plates.

I'll try to get a photo. (here's the one from SARCO)

post-20842-0-87821700-1288189529_thumb.jpg

Edited by going12220

How is the PT1911??

It seems like it just depends on the individual pistol. I've shot a few PT1911's that jammed and had safety problems and were just rough all around, then I've also shot a couple of them that were decent. You can't really ask for much more out of the ~$450 price tag it carries. Personally, I wouldn't rely on any Taurus semi-auto pistol for self defense, just from my own experience with various models. But, you hear the same thing occasionally about nearly every firearm made. Some of their revolvers are pretty decent guns, though, for the price. :smoke:

How is the PT1911??

It seems like it just depends on the individual pistol. I've shot a few PT1911's that jammed and had safety problems and were just rough all around, then I've also shot a couple of them that were decent. You can't really ask for much more out of the ~$450 price tag it carries. Personally, I wouldn't rely on any Taurus semi-auto pistol for self defense, just from my own experience with various models. But, you hear the same thing occasionally about nearly every firearm made. Some of their revolvers are pretty decent guns, though, for the price. :smoke:

I have personally had the same experience with a Kimber as well. IMO if I spend over a grand on a damn pistol. That sucker better not jam. To each his own I suppose. :angel:

That being said. I love my Springfield Armory 1911. Its a damn tank, its shoots nice. It holds up well. It has an affordable price tag. I have also heard good things about the RI 1911s considering their price tag and the reviews.

Edited by Chevyman097

I have both the PT1911 and a full sized RI 1911 GI model, after a combined 2k rounds through either pistol I've only had one malfunction and it was a FTF caused by a cheap gun show magazine. In my humble opinion, you couldn't go wrong with either as long as you gave them a thorough look over before purchasing.

Sounds like everyone's experience and what they've heard/read is mimicking what I've read; they're good-to-go.

Racer, I just did a search of all of the topics started by 1911, but I couldn't find the thread you're talking about: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&andor_type=and&sid=82bac61611c0f31f096a981e07b521d0&search_author=1911&content_title_only=1&search_term=&search_app=forums&st=175 Maybe I overlooked it?

Maybe it was a Charles Daley he was talking about.

seems like now in 2010 most builders have the 1911 pretty much figured out :lolol:

here's the one I used their slide on top right holstered with the Kimber under it.

put it on an Essex slide with a Kart barrel fitted, shoots great.

On 1911 style guns of late I tend to be more into DIY because I end up replacing so many parts to get what I want (at least trigger pull and safeties for a lefty). But you can’t build one at the price you’re looking at. :super:

I don’t know shit about compacts like the Colt Officers models other than to get stuff for them is probably harder to do. As to the grips CDNN use to carry a bunch of good looking grips that weren’t too bad in price.

post-20842-0-20560100-1288190345_thumb.jpg

Edited by going12220

F my life. I need some less expensive interests. I want a 1911, a Draco, a Ruger GP100 or SP101, another Glock, an upper to top my recently free'd up lower, something in .308, and a new stripped lower just because it's made in South Carolina. :lolol:

Maybe I should pick up rock collecting or something. It's free! :haha2:

Thanks for all the info, fellas. Much appreciated. I think I'll be going with the RIA when money allows.

Actually, it's a grip insert that allows you to use any grip panels and retain the rubber finger grooves. It's made by Pierce and it costs around ~$12.00 usually. Feels more comfortable than any other grip / finger groove platform I've ever had on a 1911.

Nice. Thanks for the info.

How is the PT1911??

My only complaint is that it won't cycle Hydrashocks if they are the 1st 2 rounds in the mag. Cor-Bon Powerball, and Hornady Critical Defense work fine. I also got some crappy Pro-Crap 15 rounders that would only cycle 12 without jamming. I made aluminum followers and they work fine now. I also had to mod my Pro-Crap 40rd drum to get it working-that's fun!

How is the PT1911??

My only complaint is that it won't cycle Hydrashocks if they are the 1st 2 rounds in the mag. Cor-Bon Powerball, and Hornady Critical Defense work fine. I also got some crappy Pro-Crap 15 rounders that would only cycle 12 without jamming. I made aluminum followers and they work fine now. I also had to mod my Pro-Crap 40rd drum to get it working-that's fun!

So is that something that has to do with the ramp then? Or it is the mag?

I upgraded all of my 1911 magazines with the Tripp Research upgrade kits and they've all been flawless. It's a new improved spring and follower. Big improvement over the stuff that comes in cheap 1911 magazines. Best 1911 mag I own is the Tripp Research 8rd CobraMag. So sexy. :wub:

How is the PT1911??

I'm thinking mag. Flying ashtrays nose dive into the ramp, but all other ammo works great.

How is the PT1911??

Easy fix, put about 500-1000 rounds of ball ammo through it. Although 45 acp is expensive. lol

For a cheaper fix polish the feed ramp...just not too much. :ded:

Edited by Chevyman097

How is the PT1911??

Easy fix, put about 500-1000 rounds of ball ammo through it. Although 45 acp is expensive. lol

For a cheaper fix polish the feed ramp...just not too much. :ded:

Yeah, I'd just polish it up a tiny bit and be done.

• 1 month later...