So I always butcher my own meat and this year I am making more sausage than usual. So....I want to know what are favorites besides Brats. I always make Brats and am looking to spice things up. What do you like?

• Like 1

I use all of the front quarters for my sausages. I make my steaks from the back straps and hind quarters. Any trimmings get turned into dog food. I put the dog food in cardboard milk cartons that I save. The rendered fat from cooking the dog food goes into the bird feeder in the coldest parts of winter. Boy, what a thrifty guy I am! I give the hide to my buddy who does leather work. Oh, and I eat the heart and liver.

Edited by RobRez
  • Like 1

Apple and Bacon? Never heard of that one! Do you use a pre-made spice pack for that or do you have a recipe? Ohhh.. Cajun!

Recipe, and I ain't sharing. :secret_smile:

If ya know anything about making sausage, you can research a few recipes and then make your own, 2-3 small batches will allow you to find a balance of salt, apple sweetness/tartness, herbs, fat content and whatnot, that best suits your palate.

I like mine fairly salty, with about a 25% fat content from a high quality fatback, sweet apple cooked with cinnamon, sage & fennel and smoked lean bacon.

G'luck.

Edited by ChileRelleno

Straight venison ground works well for hamburgers.

I don't make sausage much out of venison. Hams get sectioned out into steaks, backstraps get cut in two on

the bigger deer and straight grilled, same as tenderloins. Shoulders I might crock pot, or cube steak.

Neck, ribs, whatever gets ground.

I have been adding 1# ground up bacon to 10# ground deer .... it gives it a little taste plus "just enough" fat IMO

I don't use ground bacon, I use chopped/crumbled, that way as your eating you randomly get a burst of bacon flavor.